Cantra in Serpent Isle (Exult)

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

From the FAQ:

5.16.6) How do I save Cantra?

The long and short of it is, you can't -- the Serpent Isle programmers
forgot to enable that option in the game.

However, the Exult team (see Section 6.2.8) is planning to close the
plot-hole through their engine's runtime, leaving the SI usecode intact.
Further details have yet to be released.

I just got to this point in the game. Does this mean that what finally
happends to Cantra is added on by Exult? Did the original Serpent Isle
just allow Batlin to do his worst with no hope for Cantra.

I'm just interested.

--
Bill Jillians

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Dreaming Bill Jillians woke me up by screaming

> Does this mean that what finally
> happends to Cantra is added on by Exult? Did the original Serpent Isle
> just allow Batlin to do his worst with no hope for Cantra.

First question: Not exactly, you can cure her, that's it.
Second: yes

--
Dominus Dragon -=UDIC=- aka Dominik Reichardt (Remove NOSPAM to mail)
My homepage with funny content :) http://Beam.To/Dominik/

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002

Quoth Dominus Dragon <lookin@the.header>:
> Dreaming Bill Jillians woke me up by screaming:

> First question: Not exactly, you can cure her, that's it.
> Second: yes

Ah, I should probably update that section of the FAQ, then. Thanks for
the heads up, those here posting. :)

\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Quietly we read <aZQ81mAqVDxCFxpW@virgin.net>, unable to contain our
credulity we realized that Bill Jillians <"\"Bill
Jillians\""@virgin.SPAM_NO_THANKS.net.SPAM_OFF> said this:
>From the FAQ:
>
>5.16.6) How do I save Cantra?
>
>The long and short of it is, you can't -- the Serpent Isle programmers
>forgot to enable that option in the game.
>
>However, the Exult team (see Section 6.2.8) is planning to close the
>plot-hole through their engine's runtime, leaving the SI usecode
>intact. Further details have yet to be released.
>

>I just got to this point in the game. Does this mean that what finally
>happends to Cantra is added on by Exult? Did the original Serpent Isle
>just allow Batlin to do his worst with no hope for Cantra.
>
>I'm just interested.

Actually I've got another question about Serpent Isle. How can Shamino
have a Palace there when the exodus to Serpent Isle only takes place
between Ultimas 3 and 4? Surely Shamino appears in the earlier Ultimas
(I haven't played them so I don't know). So how can he have left from
SI? And why don't the inhabitants of SI recognize him as being a
citizen?

--
Bill Jillians

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

> Actually I've got another question about Serpent Isle. How can Shamino
> have a Palace there when the exodus to Serpent Isle only takes place
> between Ultimas 3 and 4? Surely Shamino appears in the earlier Ultimas
> (I haven't played them so I don't know). So how can he have left from
> SI? And why don't the inhabitants of SI recognize him as being a
> citizen?

Shamino is immortal (like Tolkien's Eldar).

He is elder then any SI people - even Ophidians. So, only the spirit of
Beatrix can recognize him.

--
Max

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

With a deafening roar and a whoosh of spray, Bill Jillians swings about and
addresses the awaiting newsgroup...

> Quietly we read <aZQ81mAqVDxCFxpW@virgin.net>, unable to contain our
> credulity we realized that Bill Jillians <"\"Bill
> Jillians\""@virgin.SPAM_NO_THANKS.net.SPAM_OFF> said this:
>>From the FAQ:
>>
>>5.16.6) How do I save Cantra?
>>
>>The long and short of it is, you can't -- the Serpent Isle programmers
>>forgot to enable that option in the game.
>>
>>However, the Exult team (see Section 6.2.8) is planning to close the
>>plot-hole through their engine's runtime, leaving the SI usecode
>>intact. Further details have yet to be released.
>>

>>I just got to this point in the game. Does this mean that what finally
>>happends to Cantra is added on by Exult? Did the original Serpent Isle
>>just allow Batlin to do his worst with no hope for Cantra.
>>
>>I'm just interested.
>>

> Actually I've got another question about Serpent Isle. How can Shamino
> have a Palace there when the exodus to Serpent Isle only takes place
> between Ultimas 3 and 4? Surely Shamino appears in the earlier Ultimas
> (I haven't played them so I don't know). So how can he have left from
> SI? And why don't the inhabitants of SI recognize him as being a
> citizen?

Shamino had a palace back in U1, before the death of Mondain. He was off
visiting LB when Mondain got killed, so he never could return to the Lands
of Danger and Despair. With him gone and the King of the White Dragon gone
(see SI for details on that), it was then that the Serpents contacted the
people there, and they became the Ophidians.

In short, the vast majority of people of the Serpent Isle don't recognise
Shamino as a native because he left SI generations before their ancestors
left Britannia to go there.

--
Paulon Dragon d++ e++ N T+ Om+ UK!1!2!3!4!5!6!7!'!S!'!8!9!A!L!M!W!
-==(UDIC)==- u++ uC++ uF uG+ uLB- uA+ nC+ nR nH+ nP+ nI nPT nS++ nT+ y

Danger Will Robinson! One of your nodes is about to fall off!
Ultima VII endgame.exe file

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Quietly we read <42c5bfd3$0$41940$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net>,
unable to contain our credulity we realized that Samurai
<nospam@dev.nul> said this:
>Quoth Dominus Dragon <lookin@the.header>:
>> Dreaming Bill Jillians woke me up by screaming:
>
>> First question: Not exactly, you can cure her, that's it.
>> Second: yes
>
>Ah, I should probably update that section of the FAQ, then. Thanks for
>the heads up, those here posting. :)

If you want an Exult saved game so you can see what happens exactly I
can send you one.

--
Bill Jillians

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002
Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Quoth Bill Jillians <"\"Bill
Jillians\""@virgin.SPAM_NO_THANKS.net.SPAM_OFF>:
>>Ah, I should probably update that section of the FAQ, then.
>>Thanks for the heads up, those here posting. :)
>
> If you want an Exult saved game so you can see what happens
> exactly I can send you one.

Thanks for the offer, but the FAQ is very long already, so a simple
note to let people know it's now possible to cure her will be enough.

\^\^//

On 03 Jul 2005 20:35:36 GMT, Samurai <nospam@dev.nul> wrote:

>Quoth Bill Jillians <"\"Bill
>Jillians\""@virgin.SPAM_NO_THANKS.net.SPAM_OFF>:
>>>Ah, I should probably update that section of the FAQ, then.
>>>Thanks for the heads up, those here posting. :)
>>
>> If you want an Exult saved game so you can see what happens
>> exactly I can send you one.
>
>Thanks for the offer, but the FAQ is very long already, so a simple
>note to let people know it's now possible to cure her will be enough.

What? When she is running around saying she desires me, she's actually
sick?
/glad reality isn't like that
//oils his riding crop

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

"Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On 03 Jul 2005 20:35:36 GMT, Samurai <nospam@dev.nul> wrote:
>
>>Quoth Bill Jillians <"\"Bill
>>>
>>> If you want an Exult saved game so you can see what happens
>>> exactly I can send you one.
>>
>>Thanks for the offer, but the FAQ is very long already, so a simple
>>note to let people know it's now possible to cure her will be enough.
>
> What? When she is running around saying she desires me, she's actually
> sick?
> /glad reality isn't like that
> //oils his riding crop

....mind-warped, more like it...

--
The Triad

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Quietly we read <42c84c18$0$41921$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net>,
<nospam@dev.nul> said this:
>Quoth Bill Jillians <"\"Bill
>Jillians\""@virgin.SPAM_NO_THANKS.net.SPAM_OFF>:
>>>Ah, I should probably update that section of the FAQ, then.
>>>Thanks for the heads up, those here posting. :)
>>
>> If you want an Exult saved game so you can see what happens
>> exactly I can send you one.
>
>Thanks for the offer, but the FAQ is very long already, so a simple
>note to let people know it's now possible to cure her will be enough.

I see you have changed the FAQ. Speedily done. Just one point ... it
isn't you that actually cures Cantra. Batlin has killed her and when
you go upstairs a monk from Monk Island appears and says that he will
take Cantra's body back to Monk Island so that "life may return where
now only the domain of death holds reign", I forget the exact words ...
all very poetic. Anyway he disappears and takes Cantra's body with him.
If she does get cured or what happends after that to Cantra I have yet
to find out.

Bill
--
Bill Jillians

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 17:59:25 GMT, Bill Jillians <"\"Bill
Jillians\""@virgin.SPAM_NO_THANKS.net.SPAM_OFF> wrote:

>Quietly we read <42c84c18$0$41921$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net>,
>unable to contain our credulity we realized that Samurai
><nospam@dev.nul> said this:
>>Quoth Bill Jillians <"\"Bill
>>>
>>> If you want an Exult saved game so you can see what happens
>>> exactly I can send you one.
>>
>>Thanks for the offer, but the FAQ is very long already, so a simple
>>note to let people know it's now possible to cure her will be enough.
>>

>I see you have changed the FAQ. Speedily done. Just one point ... it
>isn't you that actually cures Cantra. Batlin has killed her and when
>you go upstairs a monk from Monk Island appears and says that he will
>take Cantra's body back to Monk Island so that "life may return where
>now only the domain of death holds reign", I forget the exact words ...
>all very poetic. Anyway he disappears and takes Cantra's body with him.
>If she does get cured or what happends after that to Cantra I have yet
>to find out.

She's alive on Monk island but is apparently affected by the banes and
crazy. I never tried to cure her but probably one of the buckets of water
from one of the temples will cure her, eh?

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002
Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Quoth Bill Jillians <"\"Bill
Jillians\""@virgin.SPAM_NO_THANKS.net.SPAM_OFF>:
> I see you have changed the FAQ. Speedily done.

Just occasionally, I manage to make changes in some semblance of good
order. :)

> Just one point ... it isn't you that actually cures Cantra.
> Batlin has killed her and when you go upstairs a monk from Monk
> Island appears and says that he will take Cantra's body back to
> Monk Island so that "life may return where now only the domain of
> death holds reign", I forget the exact words ... all very poetic.

You're doing better than I would!

> Anyway he disappears and takes Cantra's body with him. If she
> does get cured or what happends after that to Cantra I have yet
> to find out.

Right. Thanks for that -- I haven't actually played SI under Exult
yet, so I wasn't aware of the specifics. I'll amend the text
appropriately.

\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Dreaming Samurai woke me up by screaming news:42cf29d5$0$22099
$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net:

>> Anyway he disappears and takes Cantra's body with him. If she
>> does get cured or what happends after that to Cantra I have yet to
>> find out.
>
> Right. Thanks for that -- I haven't actually played SI under Exult
> yet, so I wasn't aware of the specifics. I'll amend the text
> appropriately.

Don't forget to mention that this is only possible with a (as of yet) patch
which I don't know the download address right now.
The patch is also availlable in the Exult source code.
It's important that people don't think that just playing SI with Exult will
cure her. You have to make the conscious decision that you want to play a
patched SI.

Dom

Dominus Dragon wrote:

> Dreaming Samurai woke me up by screaming news:42cf29d5$0$22099
> $ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net:
>
>> Right. Thanks for that -- I haven't actually played SI under Exult
>> yet, so I wasn't aware of the specifics. I'll amend the text
>> appropriately.
>>

> Don't forget to mention that this is only possible with a (as of yet)
> patch which I don't know the download address right now.
> The patch is also availlable in the Exult source code.
> It's important that people don't think that just playing SI with Exult
> will cure her. You have to make the conscious decision that you want to
> play a patched SI.

Out of curiosity, since it's presumably just a usecode patch, would it work
on the original? Or does exult have something like PWADs nowadays?

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

With a deafening roar and a whoosh of spray, Michael Cecil swings about
and addresses the awaiting newsgroup...

> She's alive on Monk island but is apparently affected by the banes and
> crazy. I never tried to cure her but probably one of the buckets of
> water from one of the temples will cure her, eh?

Not in the original game. An oversight in the scripting, as all the code
was apparently in the files, just not activated.

However the latest patches to Exult do fix that issue.

--
Paulon Dragon d++ e++ N T+ Om+ UK!1!2!3!4!5!6!7!'!S!'!8!9!A!L!M!W!
-==(UDIC)==- u++ uC++ uF uG+ uLB- uA+ nC+ nR nH+ nP+ nI nPT nS++ nT+ y
The Other Codex http://www.ultimainfo.net/Codex/

Danger Will Robinson! One of your nodes is about to fall off!
Ultima VII endgame.exe file

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Dreaming J. P. Morris woke me up by screaming

>>> Right. Thanks for that -- I haven't actually played SI under Exult
>>> yet, so I wasn't aware of the specifics. I'll amend the text
>>> appropriately.
>>>

>> Don't forget to mention that this is only possible with a (as of yet)
>> patch which I don't know the download address right now.
>> The patch is also availlable in the Exult source code.
>> It's important that people don't think that just playing SI with
>> Exult will cure her. You have to make the conscious decision that you
>> want to play a patched SI.
>
> Out of curiosity, since it's presumably just a usecode patch, would it
> work on the original? Or does exult have something like PWADs
> nowadays?

Sorry, I don't know what PWADs means :) but I'm sure it doesn't work on
the original, since the Usecode patchs of Exult are done in a way that it
doesn't change the original usecode file (you store the patch usecode in
a patch dir and Exult uses both the original and the patched code,
overriding original code with the patched one if necessary).
Also Exult has been modifieed to use BG-only or SI-only intrinsics in
both BG and SI (not all, but they get added when necessary).

Hope this answers it somewhat.

Dom