High-End PC Speakers Reviewed: It Just Doesn't Get

AMD_Guy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2003
Well, here we go again. Except that it's even worse this time.

How can THG claim that a review doesn't get more complete than this in their speaker review and they only reviewed three brands??!!??!!?? Where was the editing staff on this?

I would suggest, at the very least, renaming the article to, "We want Creative to spend more money here so we contrived a lopsided review to make them look good."

I guess my point is that this review is not complete by any means. not even close. It doesn't even offer the pretense of even attempting to sort of look complete. I mean, three brands...sheesh.

This is not the first time a review of speakers on THG has been lacking. In trying to find the right forum for this post I searched for PC Speakers and found this link: http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=40051#40051

If you don't want to check it out then take my word that it offers the same complaint. A gross lack of comparison.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
wow, you really are lost. Tom's only reviews products companies send them, so if you didn't see your favorite products reviewed it's your, er, your company's fault.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
i kinda agree with the first post tho... i mean I think Klipsch woulda performed better then some of those setups.. maybe its just me, but i think who cares wtf the company's send them... don't write a post if you can't get a bunch of companys then.... just cause klipsch didn't send them a "TRY OUT SET" means you can exclude, who knows maybe the klipsch will destroy all those setups... im just saying i think 3 speaker packages is alittle stupid, atleast 5 or 6

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GeForce 4 Ti4200 w/vivo 128mb 8x
Hitachi CML174
1 GB Corsair XMS PC3200 Cas2

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nope, completely wrong, if a company feels their product will justify a review, it's the smart choice to submit it. When a review site starts buying parts it sets a bad example for the industry. I mean, if Tom's had to buy every part they review they'd have to fire someone to make the difference. Now I could probably come up with a list of candidates, but...nah, just review what you have.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Unfortunately this also leads to companies submitting products that aren't quite the same as what you get on the street.

Okay, brain. You don't like me, and I don't like you, but let's get through this thing and then I can continue killing you with beer. -- Homer Simpson.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
yeah i know what your saying, obvioulsy toms not gonna buy all this expensive crap.... but im just saying i think there shoulda been a few more candidates to test ... altec lansing and klipsch just for starters..

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
Hitachi CML174

Aktunka

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2001
I understand the part about how they can only review what is sent to them, but on the other hand they should not be making the article saying that this is a review of high end speaker sets and it doesn't get any more complete. First of all, at least one of these sets falls into the under $100 category, hardly high end. Secondly, just because you only have 5 sets to review that does not make it "It can't get more complete than this". Regardless of whether or not Klipsh (one of the most popular brands out there for high end PC audio) out of the blue sent a set to Tom's Hardware Guide or not, I know that the people at Tom's have to know that Klipsch exists and there are a few other high end solutions there as well. They should know that they don't have any right to say that it doesn't get any more complete than this when they are only reviewing a few.

Now, I don't know if when Tom's is getting ready to do a big roundup review here if they contact a bunch of companies and say "hey, we are about to do a big review and were wondering if you would like to submit one of your products to be included?" or not, but if they don't then they should. Maybe we actually COULD get a complete review then. Now on the other hand if they DO do this, and some of the companies that are asked just decide not to send in a product for review then they should just make note of it in the article at the beginning or the end and I could then accept their title to this article if we saw like "SuchandSuch Soundworks declined to send in a product as they are revamping their entire line at this time" or something like that. Anyhow....

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
bro that was a good ass post, i acutally was laughing when i read that.. you made some good points. Im just curious on what they really have to say when klipsch faces off against the so damn popular Z680... i mean in the past i've read on here that people don't like klipsch because of a hiss???? or the bass is bad???? are they freggin sound audio professionals or something cause i don't hear anything wrong with my promedia 2.1s...

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
Hitachi CML174