Invisibility Rings in Doom

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

When I was making my way through Doom in Ultima 5, I noticed that the enemies
seemed to be able to see me. As well the "one hit death" trick no longer
worked. (For those who don't know, if you strike an enemy while wearing an
invisibility ring, 9 times out of 10 they'll die in one blow, no matter how
power the enemy should be).
Do the rooms in Doom have some special property set so the invisibility rings
lose their effectiveness?

-==Kensu==-

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

With a deafening roar and a whoosh of spray, Chris Schumacher swings
about and addresses the awaiting newsgroup...

> When I was making my way through Doom in Ultima 5, I noticed that the
> enemies seemed to be able to see me. As well the "one hit death"
> trick no longer worked. (For those who don't know, if you strike an
> enemy while wearing an invisibility ring, 9 times out of 10 they'll
> die in one blow, no matter how power the enemy should be).
> Do the rooms in Doom have some special property set so the
> invisibility rings lose their effectiveness?

Yes. Invisibility doesn't work in there. I suggest regeneration rings
instead.

--
Paulon Dragon d++ e++ N T+ Om+ UK!1!2!3!4!5!6!7!'!S!'!8!9!A!L!M!W!
-==(UDIC)==- u++ uC++ uF uG+ uLB- uA+ nC+ nR nH+ nP+ nI nPT nS++ nT+ y

Danger Will Robinson! One of your nodes is about to fall off!
Ultima VII endgame.exe file

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Greetings.

In article <Xns968DB10694A40spampaulonultimainfo@127.0.0.1>, Paulon wrote:
>> When I was making my way through Doom in Ultima 5, I noticed that the
>> enemies seemed to be able to see me. As well the "one hit death"
>> trick no longer worked. (For those who don't know, if you strike an
>> enemy while wearing an invisibility ring, 9 times out of 10 they'll
>> die in one blow, no matter how power the enemy should be).
>> Do the rooms in Doom have some special property set so the
>> invisibility rings lose their effectiveness?
>
> Yes. Invisibility doesn't work in there. I suggest regeneration rings
> instead.

Really? What version of the game were you playing? I seem to remember
making heavy use of invisibility rings when I went through Doom (C64
version), though that was so long ago that it's possible I am mistaken.

Regards,
Tristan

--
_

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

With a deafening roar and a whoosh of spray, Tristan Miller swings about
and addresses the awaiting newsgroup...

> In article <Xns968DB10694A40spampaulonultimainfo@127.0.0.1>, Paulon
> wrote:

>> Yes. Invisibility doesn't work in there. I suggest regeneration rings
>> instead.
>
> Really? What version of the game were you playing? I seem to
> remember making heavy use of invisibility rings when I went through
> Doom (C64 version), though that was so long ago that it's possible I
> am mistaken.

I was using PC. I never made it as far as Doom on the C64 before we sold
it. Got stuck in that first room in Shame, spent a few days not finding the
wall trigger, and gave up in frustration.

--

In article <Xns9691B81BD653Aspampaulonultimainfo@127.0.0.1>, Paulon wrote:

> With a deafening roar and a whoosh of spray, Tristan Miller swings about
> and addresses the awaiting newsgroup...
>
>> In article <Xns968DB10694A40spampaulonultimainfo@127.0.0.1>, Paulon
>> wrote:
>
>>> Yes. Invisibility doesn't work in there. I suggest regeneration rings
>>> instead.
>>
>> Really? What version of the game were you playing? I seem to
>> remember making heavy use of invisibility rings when I went through
>> Doom (C64 version), though that was so long ago that it's possible I
>> am mistaken.
>
> I was using PC. I never made it as far as Doom on the C64 before we sold
> it. Got stuck in that first room in Shame, spent a few days not finding
> the wall trigger, and gave up in frustration.

Heh... same here. Except in my case, I actually wrote a letter to Origin
asking them how to get out of that room. They responded, and I made it to
the entrance of Doom, but by then Ultima VI came out and I temporarily
forgot about Ultima V. It was only years later that I remembered I was
practically at the end of the game, and I finished it in one night.

Regards,
Tristan

--
_