Web browsing issue

I have a Windows XP PC that can get on the internet and get to any site
without any problem. The issue is at certain sites, it will not display
content. One problem site is the Windows update site. When I get to the
page that says"Checking for current version of update software", nothing
appears. The same thing happens when I go to the Office update page. When I
went to this newsgroup page the page loaded, but none of the messages were
shown. I have run Norton, MS Anti-spyware, Adaware and Hijack This, all are
coming up clean. Is there a setting that is blocking these pages? Also,
automatic updates do work, they download and install fine, I jsut can't do a
manual update.

Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about browsing issue

    Usually disabling (temporarily) your third-party firewall solves that
    problem. (You should not have both the Windows Firewall and a third-party
    firewall enabled BTW.)
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    Tim wrote:
    > I have a Windows XP PC that can get on the internet and get to any site
    > without any problem. The issue is at certain sites, it will not display
    > content. One problem site is the Windows update site. When I get to the
    > page that says"Checking for current version of update software", nothing
    > appears. The same thing happens when I go to the Office update page.
    > When
    > I went to this newsgroup page the page loaded, but none of the messages
    > were
    > shown. I have run Norton, MS Anti-spyware, Adaware and Hijack This, all
    > are
    > coming up clean. Is there a setting that is blocking these pages? Also,
    > automatic updates do work, they download and install fine, I jsut can't do
    > manual update.
    >
    > Thanks.

    There is no other firewall.

    "PA Bear" wrote:

    > Usually disabling (temporarily) your third-party firewall solves that
    > problem. (You should not have both the Windows Firewall and a third-party
    > firewall enabled BTW.)
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
    >
    > Tim wrote:
    > > I have a Windows XP PC that can get on the internet and get to any site
    > > without any problem. The issue is at certain sites, it will not display
    > > content. One problem site is the Windows update site. When I get to the
    > > page that says"Checking for current version of update software", nothing
    > > appears. The same thing happens when I go to the Office update page.
    > > When
    > > I went to this newsgroup page the page loaded, but none of the messages
    > > were
    > > shown. I have run Norton, MS Anti-spyware, Adaware and Hijack This, all
    > > are
    > > coming up clean. Is there a setting that is blocking these pages? Also,
    > > automatic updates do work, they download and install fine, I jsut can't do
    > > manual update.
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    See "Why can't I download updates?"

    Post to this WinUp-specific newsgroup:

    Tim wrote:
    > There is no other firewall.
    >
    > "PA Bear" wrote:
    >
    >> Usually disabling (temporarily) your third-party firewall solves that
    >> problem. (You should not have both the Windows Firewall and a
    >> third-party
    >> firewall enabled BTW.)
    >> --
    >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    >> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
    >>
    >> Tim wrote:
    >>> I have a Windows XP PC that can get on the internet and get to any site
    >>> without any problem. The issue is at certain sites, it will not display
    >>> content. One problem site is the Windows update site. When I get to
    >>> the
    >>> page that says"Checking for current version of update software", nothing
    >>> appears. The same thing happens when I go to the Office update page.
    >>> When
    >>> I went to this newsgroup page the page loaded, but none of the messages
    >>> were
    >>> shown. I have run Norton, MS Anti-spyware, Adaware and Hijack This, all
    >>> are
    >>> coming up clean. Is there a setting that is blocking these pages?
    >>> Also,
    >>> automatic updates do work, they download and install fine, I jsut can't
    >>> do
    >>> manual update.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

Windows XP