Stumpy the Dragon's Riddles in The Silver Seed

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

I expect this has been commented on before, but Stumpy the Dragon's last
riddle gives the wrong answer.

Stumpy says that a clothes manufacturer has a commission to make 5
dresses all of the same material. In his workroom he has 3 different
types of material. He tells his assistant to get five identical pieces
of material and the assistant then picks up a number of the 3 types of
material without sorting them out.

Discounting luck how many dress pieces must the assistant pick up to be
sure of getting 5 of the same material.

Stumpy says the correct answer is 14 but that is wrong (I'm almost
sure).

Can anyone explain why it is 14 and not the answer I get ... (which I
will reveal when others work out the riddle?
--
Bill Jillians

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 04:58:07 GMT, Bill Jillians <"\"Bill
Jillians\""@virgin.SPAM_NO_THANKS.net.SPAM_OFF> wrote:

>Can anyone explain why it is 14 and not the answer I get ... (which I
>will reveal when others work out the riddle?

Because the guys at Origin weren't as good at math as they thought
they were (maybe that's why their company went into the red). Either
that or they forgot to playtest the add-on. Although one might expect
a dragon to be infallible, the answer in the game is wrong (it should
be 13)

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Dragons on Silver Seed are really smart - they know the words of
"manufacturer" and "commission".