Tags:
  • Shutdown
  • Windows XP
June 11, 2005 1:53:01 PM

I have a situation where WinXP SP2 returns to the logon screen after loggin
on. After logon it shows the background with no icons, the startup music is
played then within a few seconds it closes windows and returns to the logon
screen. The same thing happens in safe mode; I am not even able to run safe
mode with command prompt. Anyone have any ideas?
--
wizard's dad

More about : shutdown logon

June 11, 2005 2:00:50 PM

wizard's dad wrote:

> I have a situation where WinXP SP2 returns to the logon screen after loggin
> on. After logon it shows the background with no icons, the startup music is
> played then within a few seconds it closes windows and returns to the logon
> screen. The same thing happens in safe mode; I am not even able to run safe
> mode with command prompt. Anyone have any ideas?

Have you recently removed any spyware? If so see if this link helps:
Unable to Log On To Windows XP After Removing wsaupdater.exe
http://www.lavasofthelp.com/articles/v6/04/06/0901.html

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Unfortunately that did not work, although I have recently removed spyware but
I used SpyBot

"Rock" wrote:

> wizard's dad wrote:
>
> > I have a situation where WinXP SP2 returns to the logon screen after loggin
> > on. After logon it shows the background with no icons, the startup music is
> > played then within a few seconds it closes windows and returns to the logon
> > screen. The same thing happens in safe mode; I am not even able to run safe
> > mode with command prompt. Anyone have any ideas?
>
> Have you recently removed any spyware? If so see if this link helps:
> Unable to Log On To Windows XP After Removing wsaupdater.exe
> http://www.lavasofthelp.com/articles/v6/04/06/0901.html
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Related resources
June 11, 2005 6:24:03 PM

wizard's dad wrote:

> Unfortunately that did not work, although I have recently removed spyware but
> I used SpyBot
>
> "Rock" wrote:
>

>>wizard's dad wrote:
>>

>>>I have a situation where WinXP SP2 returns to the logon screen after loggin
>>>on. After logon it shows the background with no icons, the startup music is
>>>played then within a few seconds it closes windows and returns to the logon
>>>screen. The same thing happens in safe mode; I am not even able to run safe
>>>mode with command prompt. Anyone have any ideas?
>>
>>Have you recently removed any spyware? If so see if this link helps:
>>Unable to Log On To Windows XP After Removing wsaupdater.exe
>>http://www.lavasofthelp.com/articles/v6/04/06/0901.html
>>
>>--
>>Rock
>>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

It doesn't really matter what program removed the spyware, just in how
it was done. But anyway sorry that did not help.

If you have a current backup then try running chkdsk /p from the
recovery console. If you don't have a current backup first slave the
drive in another XP or W2k computer and copy the important data.

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654

If that doesn't work do a repair install:

Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 9:30:04 AM

Rock,
Unfortunately I have come to the same conclusion. I will try that today and
let you know how I make out. Thanks for your help!

"Rock" wrote:

> wizard's dad wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately that did not work, although I have recently removed spyware but
> > I used SpyBot

> >>Have you recently removed any spyware? If so see if this link helps:
> >>Unable to Log On To Windows XP After Removing wsaupdater.exe
> >>http://www.lavasofthelp.com/articles/v6/04/06/0901.html
> >>
> >>--
> >>Rock
> >>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
> >>

> It doesn't really matter what program removed the spyware, just in how
> it was done. But anyway sorry that did not help.
>
> If you have a current backup then try running chkdsk /p from the
> recovery console. If you don't have a current backup first slave the
> drive in another XP or W2k computer and copy the important data.
>
> How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654
>
> If that doesn't work do a repair install:
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

June 15, 2005 2:53:17 AM

wizard's dad wrote:

> Rock,
> Unfortunately I have come to the same conclusion. I will try that today and
> let you know how I make out. Thanks for your help!

Ok, good luck.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Rock,
The repair install worked. Thanks again for your help. I still am not
completely sure what caused the problem, but at least I am back up and
running.
Thanks again!

"Rock" wrote:

> wizard's dad wrote:
>
> > Rock,
> > Unfortunately I have come to the same conclusion. I will try that today and
> > let you know how I make out. Thanks for your help!
> >

> Ok, good luck.
>

> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

June 17, 2005 3:16:59 AM

wizard's dad wrote:

> Rock,
> The repair install worked. Thanks again for your help. I still am not
> completely sure what caused the problem, but at least I am back up and
> running.
> Thanks again!
>
> "Rock" wrote:
>

>>wizard's dad wrote:
>>

>>>Rock,
>>>Unfortunately I have come to the same conclusion. I will try that today and
>>>let you know how I make out. Thanks for your help!
>>>

>>Ok, good luck.
>>

>>--
>>Rock
>>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Great, glad it's fixed and thanks for posting back.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Rock said:

wizard's dad wrote:

> Unfortunately that did not work, although I have recently removed spyware but
> I used SpyBot
>
> "Rock" wrote:
>

>>wizard's dad wrote:
>>

>>>I have a situation where WinXP SP2 returns to the logon screen after loggin
>>>on. After logon it shows the background with no icons, the startup music is
>>>played then within a few seconds it closes windows and returns to the logon
>>>screen. The same thing happens in safe mode; I am not even able to run safe
>>>mode with command prompt. Anyone have any ideas?
>>
>>Have you recently removed any spyware? If so see if this link helps:
>>Unable to Log On To Windows XP After Removing wsaupdater.exe
>>http://www.lavasofthelp.com/articles/v6/04/06/0901.html
>>
>>--
>>Rock
>>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

It doesn't really matter what program removed the spyware, just in how
it was done. But anyway sorry that did not help.

If you have a current backup then try running chkdsk /p from the
recovery console. If you don't have a current backup first slave the
drive in another XP or W2k computer and copy the important data.

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654

If that doesn't work do a repair install:

Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Hello, Rock.
Found your helpful note here. I have the exact same problem as the Annonymous guy did, and whom you helped. However, I do not have an XP CD with me. How could I do? Please help. Thanks.

Jordan
May 13, 2010 3:35:50 PM

Hey Jordan. If your PC has a recovery partition, boot into that, and it will restore windows. If you don't want to lose your data, you'll want to get your hands on an XP disc to do the repair install.

If you need further assistance, start your own thread. You're not going to get much of a response on a 5 year old thread.
May 13, 2010 3:36:53 PM

This topic has been closed by Aford10
!