Closed

Shutdown after logon

I have a situation where WinXP SP2 returns to the logon screen after loggin
on. After logon it shows the background with no icons, the startup music is
played then within a few seconds it closes windows and returns to the logon
screen. The same thing happens in safe mode; I am not even able to run safe
mode with command prompt. Anyone have any ideas?
--
wizard's dad
10 answers Last reply

    wizard's dad wrote:

    > I have a situation where WinXP SP2 returns to the logon screen after loggin
    > on. After logon it shows the background with no icons, the startup music is
    > played then within a few seconds it closes windows and returns to the logon
    > screen. The same thing happens in safe mode; I am not even able to run safe
    > mode with command prompt. Anyone have any ideas?

    Have you recently removed any spyware? If so see if this link helps:
    Unable to Log On To Windows XP After Removing wsaupdater.exe
    http://www.lavasofthelp.com/articles/v6/04/06/0901.html

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Unfortunately that did not work, although I have recently removed spyware but
    I used SpyBot

    wizard's dad wrote:

    > Unfortunately that did not work, although I have recently removed spyware but
    > I used SpyBot
    >
    > "Rock" wrote:
    >

    >>wizard's dad wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have a situation where WinXP SP2 returns to the logon screen after loggin
    >>>on. After logon it shows the background with no icons, the startup music is
    >>>played then within a few seconds it closes windows and returns to the logon
    >>>screen. The same thing happens in safe mode; I am not even able to run safe
    >>>mode with command prompt. Anyone have any ideas?
    >>
    >>Have you recently removed any spyware? If so see if this link helps:
    >>Unable to Log On To Windows XP After Removing wsaupdater.exe
    >>http://www.lavasofthelp.com/articles/v6/04/06/0901.html
    >>
    >>--
    >>Rock
    >>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    It doesn't really matter what program removed the spyware, just in how
    it was done. But anyway sorry that did not help.

    If you have a current backup then try running chkdsk /p from the
    recovery console. If you don't have a current backup first slave the
    drive in another XP or W2k computer and copy the important data.

    How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654

    If that doesn't work do a repair install:

    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Rock,
    Unfortunately I have come to the same conclusion. I will try that today and
    let you know how I make out. Thanks for your help!

    wizard's dad wrote:

    > Rock,
    > Unfortunately I have come to the same conclusion. I will try that today and
    > let you know how I make out. Thanks for your help!

    Ok, good luck.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Rock,
    The repair install worked. Thanks again for your help. I still am not
    completely sure what caused the problem, but at least I am back up and
    running.
    Thanks again!

    wizard's dad wrote:

    > Rock,
    > The repair install worked. Thanks again for your help. I still am not
    > completely sure what caused the problem, but at least I am back up and
    > running.
    > Thanks again!
    >
    > "Rock" wrote:
    >

    >>wizard's dad wrote:
    >>

    >>>Rock,
    >>>Unfortunately I have come to the same conclusion. I will try that today and
    >>>let you know how I make out. Thanks for your help!
    >>>

    >>Ok, good luck.
    >>

    >>--
    >>Rock
    >>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Great, glad it's fixed and thanks for posting back.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
  8. Rock said:

    wizard's dad wrote:

    > Unfortunately that did not work, although I have recently removed spyware but
    > I used SpyBot
    >
    > "Rock" wrote:
    >

    >>wizard's dad wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have a situation where WinXP SP2 returns to the logon screen after loggin
    >>>on. After logon it shows the background with no icons, the startup music is
    >>>played then within a few seconds it closes windows and returns to the logon
    >>>screen. The same thing happens in safe mode; I am not even able to run safe
    >>>mode with command prompt. Anyone have any ideas?
    >>
    >>Have you recently removed any spyware? If so see if this link helps:
    >>Unable to Log On To Windows XP After Removing wsaupdater.exe
    >>http://www.lavasofthelp.com/articles/v6/04/06/0901.html
    >>
    >>--
    >>Rock
    >>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    It doesn't really matter what program removed the spyware, just in how
    it was done. But anyway sorry that did not help.

    If you have a current backup then try running chkdsk /p from the
    recovery console. If you don't have a current backup first slave the
    drive in another XP or W2k computer and copy the important data.

    How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654

    If that doesn't work do a repair install:

    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Hello, Rock.
    Found your helpful note here. I have the exact same problem as the Annonymous guy did, and whom you helped. However, I do not have an XP CD with me. How could I do? Please help. Thanks.

    Jordan
  9. Hey Jordan. If your PC has a recovery partition, boot into that, and it will restore windows. If you don't want to lose your data, you'll want to get your hands on an XP disc to do the repair install.

    If you need further assistance, start your own thread. You're not going to get much of a response on a 5 year old thread.
  10. This topic has been closed by Aford10

Shutdown Windows XP