Using XP Home in German and English

Hi all, this is my situation: I'm a UK student, I have a pc with XP Home on
it, and I'm going to Germany for a year's study there. I want a laptop, and
they look mightily cheaper over there :) *But* I don't think I could live
with a laptop that's exclusively in German. Ideally I want something where I
can switch between as I please.

First question: Is this easy to do? Having read around, it sounds like no,
given MUI seems to be only available to big companies =/

Second question: Would my current licence cover installing XP on a
yet-to-be-purchased laptop? (I'm thinking of the eventuality that I can't
have both languages and choose to install English over the top and make do
with that.)

I did read somewhere a brief comment that you can do something along the
lines of install one copy of Windows over another and thus be able to use
either language(!) I can't picture this in my mind, but does anyone know
about this?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

James.
3 answers Last reply
More about using home german english

    James wrote:
    > Hi all, this is my situation: I'm a UK student, I have a pc with XP Home on
    > it, and I'm going to Germany for a year's study there. I want a laptop, and
    > they look mightily cheaper over there :) *But* I don't think I could live
    > with a laptop that's exclusively in German. Ideally I want something where I
    > can switch between as I please.
    >
    > First question: Is this easy to do? Having read around, it sounds like no,
    > given MUI seems to be only available to big companies =/

    That's correct. The MUI is available only for Volume Licensed English
    versions of WinXP Pro. For any other type of WinXP license, you cannot
    upgrade or convert from one language version of the OS to another, so
    you'd have to purchase and use the full version of WinXP (in whatever
    language you want) to perform a clean installation.

    Cannot Upgrade or Install a Different Language Version of Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282089

    > Second question: Would my current licence cover installing XP on a
    > yet-to-be-purchased laptop? (I'm thinking of the eventuality that I can't
    > have both languages and choose to install English over the top and make do
    > with that.)

    Probably not. You need to have a separate WinXP license for each
    computer on which you install it. If you've a retail license on your
    present computer, you can remove it from the computer it's currently on,
    and then install it on the laptop. (Check with the laptop manufacturer
    before doing so, to ensure that this action won't void any warranty, and
    that there are device drivers available for the English version of
    WinXP.) If you've an OEM license, however, it's not transferable to
    another computer under any circumstances.

    Just as it has *always* been with *all* Microsoft operating
    systems, it's necessary (to be in compliance with both the EULA and U.S.
    copyright law http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/117.html), if not
    technically) to purchase one WinXP license for each computer on which it
    is installed. (Consult an attorney versed in copyright law to determine
    final applicability in your locale.) The only way in which WinXP
    licensing differs from that of earlier versions of Windows is that
    Microsoft has finally added a copy protection and anti-theft mechanism,
    Product Activation, to prevent (or at least make more difficult)
    multiple installations using a single license.

    One can buy additional licenses, assuming one already has a retail
    license. Naturally, Microsoft cannot sell additional OEM licenses. Be
    aware, however, that you'll probably pay more this way than you would if
    you were to buy a second copy of WinXP from a discount retailer;
    Microsoft will only offer you a 15% discount off their MSRP.

    Additional Licenses for Windows XP Home Edition
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/addlic.asp

    Additional Licenses for Windows XP Professional
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic.asp

    > I did read somewhere a brief comment that you can do something along the
    > lines of install one copy of Windows over another and thus be able to use
    > either language(!) I can't picture this in my mind, but does anyone know
    > about this?

    Not quite. What you can do is purchase an additional English
    version of WinXP and create a dual-boot scenario on the German laptop,
    if you like.

    For conflicting language versions of operating systems, and the
    hiding of one's partition from another, I've found System Commander
    from V-Communications very useful, in the past.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Windows XP is written in specific language versions, therefore one
    cannot "upgrade" from one language version to another. You'll need
    to purchase a "Full Version" of Windows XP in the language version
    you desire, reformat your drive and install it "clean".

    Or if you have an available empty drive or partition, you can install
    another "Full Version" of Windows XP in a different language version
    and create a dual-boot configuration.

    Cannot Upgrade or Install a Different Language Version of Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;2820­89

    Welcome to WorldLanguage.com!
    http://www.worldlanguage.com/

    A good third-party partitioning program is Partition Magic 8.
    http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/

    Clean Install Windows XP

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    "James" wrote:

    | Hi all, this is my situation: I'm a UK student, I have a pc with XP Home on
    | it, and I'm going to Germany for a year's study there. I want a laptop, and
    | they look mightily cheaper over there :) *But* I don't think I could live
    | with a laptop that's exclusively in German. Ideally I want something where I
    | can switch between as I please.
    |
    | First question: Is this easy to do? Having read around, it sounds like no,
    | given MUI seems to be only available to big companies =/
    |
    | Second question: Would my current licence cover installing XP on a
    | yet-to-be-purchased laptop? (I'm thinking of the eventuality that I can't
    | have both languages and choose to install English over the top and make do
    | with that.)
    |
    | I did read somewhere a brief comment that you can do something along the
    | lines of install one copy of Windows over another and thus be able to use
    | either language(!) I can't picture this in my mind, but does anyone know
    | about this?
    |
    | Many thanks in advance for any help.
    |
    | James.

    It is also available OEM as well as VL.

    You need to order a laptop with XP english AND the MUI pack (which will have to be ordered in by the shop for you and they probably won't know what you are talking about).

Laptops Microsoft Windows XP