Freelancer's serverlist won't update and constant crashing.

I've done some work to try and fix this myself. I made sure all ports that
freelancer uses were open on both my firewall and and router and that the
firewall cleared freelancer.exe as an ok program but only servers that I
manually target can even get a ping in the serverlist. (targetted by editing
the shortcut like this "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Games\Freelancer\EXE\Freelancer.exe" -s213.208.119.228:2302
-s195.149.21.205:2302")

As for the crashing, it seems to be unprovoked. Sometimes it'll crash when I
start up the program and connect to one of the two servers above. Sometimes
it'll crash half an hour after I've been playing and am just flying around in
my space ship. I've tried setting compatibility for windows 2000 and 98/me
but that didn't help. I also did a few reinstalls and chkdsk, nothing helped.

Freelancer used to work but suddenly stopped and I'm not sure if it was
something installed or a virus but other than formatting my hd I don't see a
way to fix it.

Hi Myst,

Since that problem just started happening recently, try a System Restore.

How to use Windows XP System Restore:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gethelp/systemrestore.asp

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

"MySt" <MySt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:74AB1D49-A678-4523-AECD-BC06AA6C658B@microsoft.com...
> I've done some work to try and fix this myself. I made sure all ports that
> freelancer uses were open on both my firewall and and router and that the
> firewall cleared freelancer.exe as an ok program but only servers that I
> manually target can even get a ping in the serverlist. (targetted by editing
> the shortcut like this "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
> Games\Freelancer\EXE\Freelancer.exe" -s213.208.119.228:2302
> -s195.149.21.205:2302")
>
> As for the crashing, it seems to be unprovoked. Sometimes it'll crash when I
> start up the program and connect to one of the two servers above. Sometimes
> it'll crash half an hour after I've been playing and am just flying around in
> my space ship. I've tried setting compatibility for windows 2000 and 98/me
> but that didn't help. I also did a few reinstalls and chkdsk, nothing helped.
>
> Freelancer used to work but suddenly stopped and I'm not sure if it was
> something installed or a virus but other than formatting my hd I don't see a
> way to fix it.

I had considered that but I don't play freelancer too regularly, especially
lately where I've put a week between sessions. So I can't pinpoint the time
this all started. Also I've installed nearly 20 programs in the past month
and it could very well be a software conflict between any of them.

Hi Myst,

Since it's affecting your connectivity, it could be adware related.
(visit microsoft.com/spyware for software suggestions). If that
doesn't resolve the issue, post back and we'll try something else.