[XP SP1] How to reactivate cracked copy?

Hi

I know, I shouldn't have used a cracked copy of XP to install
on a friend's new PC, and should have asked him to go buy a legit
copy...

.... so, now that he's stuck, unable to log on... Will buying a legit
CD and type in the key reactivate XP, or do I have to start again from
scratch with a legit CD?

Thank you.
8 answers Last reply
More about reactivate cracked copy

    Buy a legit copy (which should now also contain SP2) and then reinstall the
    new copy to your friend's pc. I certainly wouldn't be relying upon a pirated
    copy even with a legitimate product code number from a new purchase.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert

    "Some Fred" <bla@bla.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I know, I shouldn't have used a cracked copy of XP to install
    > on a friend's new PC, and should have asked him to go buy a legit
    > copy...
    >
    > ... so, now that he's stuck, unable to log on... Will buying a legit
    > CD and type in the key reactivate XP, or do I have to start again from
    > scratch with a legit CD?
    >
    > Thank you.

    On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 19:22:45 +0100, "John Barnett MVP"
    <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote:
    >Buy a legit copy (which should now also contain SP2) and then reinstall the
    >new copy to your friend's pc. I certainly wouldn't be relying upon a pirated
    >copy even with a legitimate product code number from a new purchase.

    OK. Guess I'll burn a CD with his data, format the HD, and reinstall
    the whole shebbang.

    .... or should I go Linux? ;-)

    Thx
    Fred.

    Some Fred wrote:

    > On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 19:22:45 +0100, "John Barnett MVP"
    > <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote:
    >>Buy a legit copy (which should now also contain SP2) and then
    >>reinstall the new copy to your friend's pc. I certainly wouldn't be
    >>relying upon a pirated copy even with a legitimate product code number
    >>from a new purchase.
    >
    > OK. Guess I'll burn a CD with his data, format the HD, and reinstall
    > the whole shebbang.
    >
    > ... or should I go Linux? ;-)
    >
    > Thx
    > Fred.

    Certainly you can go Linux if you like, but if your friend is a typical
    Windows home user that will not be the best choice for him. You may be
    able to do a repair install - you will need a full retail copy of XP.
    Here is a link to help you with that:

    Since your friend can't log on at all (what about Safe Mode?), I guess
    you won't be able to do the In-place Upgrade that Michael talks about
    farther down on that page.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 14:46:42 -0700, Malke <invalid@not-real.com>
    wrote:
    >Since your friend can't log on at all (what about Safe Mode?), I guess
    >you won't be able to do the In-place Upgrade that Michael talks about
    >farther down on that page.

    Thank you for the link. I'll double check with him, but apparently, he
    can't even enter in Safe Mode. I'll see what I can do next w-e (while
    wearning the usual "No, I won't fix your computer" t-shirt).

    Fred.

    On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 19:22:45 +0100, "John Barnett MVP"
    <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote:

    >Buy a legit copy (which should now also contain SP2) and then reinstall the
    >new copy to your friend's pc. I certainly wouldn't be relying upon a pirated
    >copy even with a legitimate product code number from a new purchase.

    BTW, I did some more reading on the issue, and here's what I seem to
    have understood:

    1. Using the Product Key (serial number on the back of the CD jewel
    case) and a unique hashed number based on the different components
    that make up the computer (CPU, MAC address of NIC, etc.), XP
    generates a unique number

    2. Within 30 days after installing XP, you must activate this copy by
    contacting MS, either through the Internet directly, or by calling a
    phone number

    3. Whatever the means of contacting MS, you will provide this unique
    number.

    MS will first check whether you used a well-known leaked key as
    Product Key; if yes, it will stop right there, and activation will
    fail.

    If this seems like a legitimate Product Key, MS will next check
    whether this key has already been used in combination with a different
    hardware hask key to activate a copy of XP (ie. you gave a friend your
    CD and its Product Key, and he's trying to install it on his
    computer), activation will also fail, as one license = one computer.

    4. From this, it follows that if my friend goes to the computer store
    to buy a legitimate copy of XP, he can just use a software to change
    the Product Key in his pirated install of XP, and will successfully
    activate it.

    Am I right?

    Thank you
    Fred.

    Some Fred wrote:

    > On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 19:22:45 +0100, "John Barnett MVP"
    > <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote:
    >
    >>Buy a legit copy (which should now also contain SP2) and then
    >>reinstall the new copy to your friend's pc. I certainly wouldn't be
    >>relying upon a pirated copy even with a legitimate product code number
    >>from a new purchase.
    >
    > BTW, I did some more reading on the issue, and here's what I seem to
    > have understood:
    >
    > 1. Using the Product Key (serial number on the back of the CD jewel
    > case) and a unique hashed number based on the different components
    > that make up the computer (CPU, MAC address of NIC, etc.), XP
    > generates a unique number
    >
    > 2. Within 30 days after installing XP, you must activate this copy by
    > contacting MS, either through the Internet directly, or by calling a
    > phone number
    >
    > 3. Whatever the means of contacting MS, you will provide this unique
    > number.
    >
    > MS will first check whether you used a well-known leaked key as
    > Product Key; if yes, it will stop right there, and activation will
    > fail.
    >
    > If this seems like a legitimate Product Key, MS will next check
    > whether this key has already been used in combination with a different
    > hardware hask key to activate a copy of XP (ie. you gave a friend your
    > CD and its Product Key, and he's trying to install it on his
    > computer), activation will also fail, as one license = one computer.
    >
    > 4. From this, it follows that if my friend goes to the computer store
    > to buy a legitimate copy of XP, he can just use a software to change
    > the Product Key in his pirated install of XP, and will successfully
    > activate it.
    >
    > Am I right?
    >
    > Thank you
    > Fred.

    Yes. That's why I gave you the link to Michael Stevens' site. Yes, your
    friend is going to do a Repair Install. The In-place Upgrade that
    Michael references lower down on the page needs you to be able to be in
    Windows and start the installation from there. That's why I asked you
    if your friend could even get into Safe Mode. If your friend can't,
    then he'll do the Repair Install as described by Michael; i.e., boot
    with the legitimate retail Windows XP cd.

    Caveat - Even though a Repair Install usually goes well and you are able
    to keep all your programs, data, etc. sometimes Ugly Stuff Happens. You
    should consider booting your friend's machine with Knoppix or a Bart's
    PE and backing up his data first. Since you mentioned Linux, you
    probably know all about Knoppix, but in case you don't here's the info:

    An easy way to retrieve Windows files is to boot with Knoppix, a Linux
    distro on a live cd. You will need a computer with two cd drives, one
    of which is a cd/dvd-rw OR a usb thumb drive with enough capacity to
    hold your data. To get Knoppix, you need a computer with a fast
    Internet connection and third-party burning software. Download the
    Knoppix .iso from www.knoppix.net and create your bootable cd. Then
    boot with it and it will be able to see the Windows files. If you will
    be using the usb thumb drive to copy your data, plug it in before you
    boot the system with Knoppix. Otherwise, use the K3b burning program to
    burn the files to cd/dvd-r's.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 19:31:17 -0700, Malke <invalid@not-real.com>
    wrote:
    (snip)

    Thx a bunch :-)

    Fred.

    On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 19:59:27 +0200, Some Fred <bla@bla.com> wrote:
    >I know, I shouldn't have used a cracked copy of XP to install
    >on a friend's new PC, and should have asked him to go buy a legit
    >copy...

    BTW, for those interested, I tried the utiliy XPPID to rewrite a
    different serial # in XP Pro SP2 (possibly Corporate), but it didn't
    change even after rebooting.

    I had to go through the well-documented procedure by changing
    something in the Registry and launch the Activation thingie to be able
    to change the number:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;328874

    I haven't done the test on the machine that's stuck, but it may thus
    be possible to just buy a legit CD, and simply go through this step to
    legitimize a host, and avoid reinstalling XP from scratch.

    A couple of utilities that supposedly can update the Product Key in
    the Registry of an XP Home/Pro:

    - RockXP http://www.snapfiles.com/get/rockxp.html
    - XPPID http://ryan.ript.net/xppid/

    My .15E