Random (but specific) U4 questions

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

Hi, everyone. I'm a newbie here (but not to the games, or to Usenet--I
was on usenet in its pre-Web, pre-spam days!)

Anyhow, I've got a couple of questions that I hope others here have
experience with. First, when I run the upgraded version of Ultima 4 (v.
nice graphics, btw) it crashes when my avatar meditates at shrines for
three periods. I've tried running it in WinXP, Windows 98, Windows 3.1,
and even DOS 6.2. It always crashes. So I've been playing the ugly old
version, which doesn't crash. I've searched for fixes for this, but
haven't found any. Does anyone know of one, or is it just me who has
this problem?

Second, my party is deep in Hythloth, in the rooms in level 6. And I
can't find the damn door out! I've played the room three or four times,
bumped people into every wall section, walked over every floor tile,
put people in strange configurations, and given myself eyestrain
looking for the secret door, but nothing doing. Any hints? (This is the
first room you enter on level 6, with a Zorn in the middle of the room
and lots of trolls and cyclopses, and one chest in each corner of the
room.)

Thanks muchly

lp, the confused avatar.

And I have to find some more people to talk humbly to--I was honest and
lost my humility points. Grrr.... once you become avatar you should be
able to loot and rampage with Impunity. :-)
4 answers Last reply
More about random specific questions
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    > Second, my party is deep in Hythloth, in the rooms in level 6. And I
    > can't find the damn door out! I've played the room three or four times,
    > bumped people into every wall section, walked over every floor tile,
    > put people in strange configurations, and given myself eyestrain
    > looking for the secret door, but nothing doing. Any hints? (This is the
    > first room you enter on level 6, with a Zorn in the middle of the room
    > and lots of trolls and cyclopses, and one chest in each corner of the
    > room.)

    According to my map, that room in level 6 has no secret doors. Nor do the
    other 2 rooms on that level. This suggests that level 6 is devided into 2
    completely separate halves. It's been too long since I played this game to
    remember any details on how/what to do in this dungeon.

    However, Hythloth has kind of a "chimney"-ladder thingie leading from level
    1 to level 8. Maybe that'll help ya some.

    LVD
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    Lord Vashnu Dragon wrote:
    > > Second, my party is deep in Hythloth, in the rooms in level 6. And I
    > > can't find the damn door out! I've played the room three or four times,
    > > bumped people into every wall section, walked over every floor tile,
    > > put people in strange configurations, and given myself eyestrain
    > > looking for the secret door, but nothing doing. Any hints? (This is the
    > > first room you enter on level 6, with a Zorn in the middle of the room
    > > and lots of trolls and cyclopses, and one chest in each corner of the
    > > room.)
    >
    > According to my map, that room in level 6 has no secret doors. Nor do the
    > other 2 rooms on that level. This suggests that level 6 is devided into 2
    > completely separate halves. It's been too long since I played this game to
    > remember any details on how/what to do in this dungeon.
    >
    > However, Hythloth has kind of a "chimney"-ladder thingie leading from level
    > 1 to level 8. Maybe that'll help ya some.
    >
    > LVD

    Many thanks, Lord Vishnu. I'll check my maps for other clues--but there
    doesn't seem to be any other way across to the ladder up (you take the
    chimney from British's castle down to level 8, and then wander up to
    get out). I'll check again.

    LP
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    "lp" <lpayne@digitalpla.net> wrote in message

    > Lord Vashnu Dragon wrote:
    >> > Second, my party is deep in Hythloth, in the rooms in level 6. And I
    >> > can't find the damn door out! I've played the room three or four times,
    >> > bumped people into every wall section, walked over every floor tile,
    >> > put people in strange configurations, and given myself eyestrain
    >> > looking for the secret door, but nothing doing. Any hints? (This is the
    >> > first room you enter on level 6, with a Zorn in the middle of the room
    >> > and lots of trolls and cyclopses, and one chest in each corner of the
    >> > room.)
    >>
    >> According to my map, that room in level 6 has no secret doors. Nor do the
    >> other 2 rooms on that level. This suggests that level 6 is devided into 2
    >> completely separate halves. It's been too long since I played this game
    >> remember any details on how/what to do in this dungeon.
    >>
    >> However, Hythloth has kind of a "chimney"-ladder thingie leading from
    >> level
    >> 1 to level 8. Maybe that'll help ya some.
    >>
    >> LVD
    >

    > Many thanks, Lord Vishnu. I'll check my maps for other clues--but there
    > doesn't seem to be any other way across to the ladder up (you take the
    > chimney from British's castle down to level 8, and then wander up to
    > get out). I'll check again.

    Ah, I think I remember a little better. A hidden entrance on the north side
    of the castle, right? But I still can't remember having any troubles in the
    dungeon. Usually when you get stuck somewhere and have to deal with it for a
    long time, you remember it. Oh, well. Maybe I just cast that "dungeon exit"
    spell or whatever it's called.

    Good luck, and post back here if you figure it out or learn something else
    about it.

    LVD
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.series (More info?)

    Lord Vashnu Dragon wrote:
    > "lp" <lpayne@digitalpla.net> wrote in message
    > >

    > > Many thanks, Lord Vishnu. I'll check my maps for other clues--but there
    > > doesn't seem to be any other way across to the ladder up (you take the
    > > chimney from British's castle down to level 8, and then wander up to
    > > get out). I'll check again.
    > >

    > Ah, I think I remember a little better. A hidden entrance on the north side
    > of the castle, right? But I still can't remember having any troubles in the
    > dungeon. Usually when you get stuck somewhere and have to deal with it for a
    > long time, you remember it. Oh, well. Maybe I just cast that "dungeon exit"
    > spell or whatever it's called.
    >
    > Good luck, and post back here if you figure it out or learn something else
    > about it.
    >
    > LVD

    Well, I've tried again, and tried "using" the horn, the wheel (hey--I'm
    desperate!), the bell, book, and candle, everything except the Skull of
    Mondain, and no luck.

    Unless one of the "walls" is really a field in disguise, and I have to
    cast "dispel" on it, I may try "Blink", "Y-up" or "X-it" next. . .

    LP

Video Games