Removing uninstallable Music program nags

I'm so sorry I ever installed Napster and MusicMatch. With the help of
telephone tech support
at MS, I was able to delete the standalone prgms. It was not easy and it was
difficult to understand the Tech with an Indian accent, so the call took
much longer than I expected. I am still unable to delete the napster NAG
screen when I open
Media Player. Every time I open MP, the screen say's contacting online store
and then the NAG saying Napster not installed and urging me to register. I
am unable to
uninstall MM for Media Player and Napster for Media Player. They do not have
an uninstaller nor will they uninstall in my "installed programs" window. I
get an error for both of them and it say's "setup.exe error must close down"
etc. Can anyone
help me??? I'm about to tear my hair out :o(
Thank You
shadoe
4 answers Last reply
More about removing uninstallable music program nags

    shadoe wrote:

    > I'm so sorry I ever installed Napster and MusicMatch. With the help of
    > telephone tech support
    > at MS, I was able to delete the standalone prgms. It was not easy and
    > it was difficult to understand the Tech with an Indian accent, so the
    > call took much longer than I expected. I am still unable to delete the
    > napster NAG screen when I open
    > Media Player. Every time I open MP, the screen say's contacting online
    > store and then the NAG saying Napster not installed and urging me to
    > register. I am unable to
    > uninstall MM for Media Player and Napster for Media Player. They do
    > not have an uninstaller nor will they uninstall in my "installed
    > programs" window. I get an error for both of them and it say's
    > "setup.exe error must close down" etc. Can anyone
    > help me??? I'm about to tear my hair out :o(
    > Thank You
    > shadoe

    Of course we hear you, but you must understand that you aren't talking
    to Microsoft here. This is a public newsgroup and while some MS
    employees do occasionally post here, most people do not work for the
    company and all are volunteers.

    Things for you to try:

    1. Do a System Restore to before you tried to uninstall the programs. If
    that works, then try uninstalling them with Add/Remove Programs.

    2. If that doesn't work, reinstall the programs and then uninstall them,
    again by using Add/Remove Programs.

    3. If all else fails, either have a knowledgeable friend (and I mean a
    *really* knowledgeable one - not just someone who thinks s/he is
    knowledgeable) have a look OR take your machine to a professional
    computer repair shop (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA) to have
    it put right.

    Good luck,

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    I appreciate your reply Malke, but I have tried all of those means and more
    than once. I know this group is not a professional group but I have seen
    some pretty miraculous suggestions come out of this group:o) Often one
    stumbles upon a solution by accident and are eager to share it with others.
    I am grasping at straws here Malke. One never knows :o)
    One thing for sure, I shall never give up.:o)
    Thank you,
    shadoe

    shadoe wrote:

    > I appreciate your reply Malke, but I have tried all of those means and
    > more than once. I know this group is not a professional group but I
    > have seen
    > some pretty miraculous suggestions come out of this group:o) Often
    > one stumbles upon a solution by accident and are eager to share it
    > with others. I am grasping at straws here Malke. One never knows :o)
    > One thing for sure, I shall never give up.:o)
    > Thank you,
    > shadoe

    Since you have already tried all of those means (and you didn't tell us
    what you had already tried), then probably taking the machine to a
    computer shop or the knowledgeable friend is the best solution. Someone
    on-site will be able to see what is happening and deal with it where
    someone just reading about the problem might miss the issue entirely. I
    don't like to suggest that anyone hand-pick out all the bits from a
    failed uninstall because unless you know exactly what you are doing,
    the results could be ugly. There is no shame or "giving up" in asking
    someone local for help. I don't hesitate to take my car to the
    mechanic.

    Malke
    --

    shadoe wrote:

    > I'm so sorry I ever installed Napster and MusicMatch. With the help of
    > telephone tech support
    > at MS, I was able to delete the standalone prgms. It was not easy and it
    > was difficult to understand the Tech with an Indian accent, so the call
    > took much longer than I expected. I am still unable to delete the napster
    > NAG screen when I open
    > Media Player. Every time I open MP, the screen say's contacting online
    > store and then the NAG saying Napster not installed and urging me to
    > register. I am unable to
    > uninstall MM for Media Player and Napster for Media Player. They do not
    > have an uninstaller nor will they uninstall in my "installed programs"
    > window. I get an error for both of them and it say's "setup.exe error must
    > close down" etc. Can anyone
    > help me??? I'm about to tear my hair out :o(
    > Thank You
    > shadoe

    Don't! I repeat ... Don't! tear your hair out. That can be painful and may
    not grow back.

    What do you use Media Player for? I ask, because there are many better and
    free alternatives for playing music than MickeyMouse's silly MP. Take a
    look at something like Winamp for example. If you like it, use it and
    forget about MP and the resulting problems.

    --
    Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
    "A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

Media Player Music Napster Windows XP