Removing uninstallable Music program nags

I'm so sorry I ever installed Napster and MusicMatch. With the help of
telephone tech support
at MS, I was able to delete the standalone prgms. It was not easy and it was
difficult to understand the Tech with an Indian accent, so the call took
much longer than I expected. I am still unable to delete the napster NAG
screen when I open
Media Player. Every time I open MP, the screen say's contacting online store
and then the NAG saying Napster not installed and urging me to register. I
am unable to
uninstall MM for Media Player and Napster for Media Player. They do not have
an uninstaller nor will they uninstall in my "installed programs" window. I
get an error for both of them and it say's "setup.exe error must close down"
etc. Can anyone
help me??? I'm about to tear my hair out :eek:(
Thank You
shadoe

Malke

shadoe wrote:

> I'm so sorry I ever installed Napster and MusicMatch. With the help of
> telephone tech support
> at MS, I was able to delete the standalone prgms. It was not easy and
> it was difficult to understand the Tech with an Indian accent, so the
> call took much longer than I expected. I am still unable to delete the
> napster NAG screen when I open
> Media Player. Every time I open MP, the screen say's contacting online
> store and then the NAG saying Napster not installed and urging me to
> register. I am unable to
> uninstall MM for Media Player and Napster for Media Player. They do
> not have an uninstaller nor will they uninstall in my "installed
> programs" window. I get an error for both of them and it say's
> "setup.exe error must close down" etc. Can anyone
> help me??? I'm about to tear my hair out :eek:(
> Thank You
> shadoe

Of course we hear you, but you must understand that you aren't talking
to Microsoft here. This is a public newsgroup and while some MS
employees do occasionally post here, most people do not work for the
company and all are volunteers.

Things for you to try:

1. Do a System Restore to before you tried to uninstall the programs. If
that works, then try uninstalling them with Add/Remove Programs.

2. If that doesn't work, reinstall the programs and then uninstall them,
again by using Add/Remove Programs.

3. If all else fails, either have a knowledgeable friend (and I mean a
*really* knowledgeable one - not just someone who thinks s/he is
knowledgeable) have a look OR take your machine to a professional
computer repair shop (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA) to have
it put right.

Good luck,

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

I appreciate your reply Malke, but I have tried all of those means and more
than once. I know this group is not a professional group but I have seen
some pretty miraculous suggestions come out of this group:eek:) Often one
stumbles upon a solution by accident and are eager to share it with others.
I am grasping at straws here Malke. One never knows :eek:)
One thing for sure, I shall never give up.:eek:)
Thank you,
shadoe

| shadoe wrote:
|
| > I'm so sorry I ever installed Napster and MusicMatch. With the help of
| > telephone tech support
| > at MS, I was able to delete the standalone prgms. It was not easy and
| > it was difficult to understand the Tech with an Indian accent, so the
| > call took much longer than I expected. I am still unable to delete the
| > napster NAG screen when I open
| > Media Player. Every time I open MP, the screen say's contacting online
| > store and then the NAG saying Napster not installed and urging me to
| > register. I am unable to
| > uninstall MM for Media Player and Napster for Media Player. They do
| > not have an uninstaller nor will they uninstall in my "installed
| > programs" window. I get an error for both of them and it say's
| > "setup.exe error must close down" etc. Can anyone
| > help me??? I'm about to tear my hair out :eek:(
| > Thank You
| > shadoe
|
| Of course we hear you, but you must understand that you aren't talking
| to Microsoft here. This is a public newsgroup and while some MS
| employees do occasionally post here, most people do not work for the
| company and all are volunteers.
|
| Things for you to try:
|
| 1. Do a System Restore to before you tried to uninstall the programs. If
| that works, then try uninstalling them with Add/Remove Programs.
|
| 2. If that doesn't work, reinstall the programs and then uninstall them,
| again by using Add/Remove Programs.
|
| 3. If all else fails, either have a knowledgeable friend (and I mean a
| *really* knowledgeable one - not just someone who thinks s/he is
| knowledgeable) have a look OR take your machine to a professional
| computer repair shop (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA) to have
| it put right.
|
| Good luck,
|
| Malke
| --
| Elephant Boy Computers
| www.elephantboycomputers.com
| "Don't Panic!"
| MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

shadoe wrote:

> I appreciate your reply Malke, but I have tried all of those means and
> more than once. I know this group is not a professional group but I
> have seen
> some pretty miraculous suggestions come out of this group:eek:) Often
> one stumbles upon a solution by accident and are eager to share it
> with others. I am grasping at straws here Malke. One never knows :eek:)
> One thing for sure, I shall never give up.:eek:)
> Thank you,
> shadoe

Since you have already tried all of those means (and you didn't tell us
what you had already tried), then probably taking the machine to a
computer shop or the knowledgeable friend is the best solution. Someone
on-site will be able to see what is happening and deal with it where
someone just reading about the problem might miss the issue entirely. I
don't like to suggest that anyone hand-pick out all the bits from a
failed uninstall because unless you know exactly what you are doing,
the results could be ugly. There is no shame or "giving up" in asking
someone local for help. I don't hesitate to take my car to the
mechanic.

Malke
--

shadoe wrote:

> I'm so sorry I ever installed Napster and MusicMatch. With the help of
> telephone tech support
> at MS, I was able to delete the standalone prgms. It was not easy and it
> was difficult to understand the Tech with an Indian accent, so the call
> took much longer than I expected. I am still unable to delete the napster
> NAG screen when I open
> Media Player. Every time I open MP, the screen say's contacting online
> store and then the NAG saying Napster not installed and urging me to
> register. I am unable to
> uninstall MM for Media Player and Napster for Media Player. They do not
> have an uninstaller nor will they uninstall in my "installed programs"
> window. I get an error for both of them and it say's "setup.exe error must
> close down" etc. Can anyone
> help me??? I'm about to tear my hair out :eek:(
> Thank You
> shadoe

Don't! I repeat ... Don't! tear your hair out. That can be painful and may
not grow back.

What do you use Media Player for? I ask, because there are many better and
free alternatives for playing music than MickeyMouse's silly MP. Take a
look at something like Winamp for example. If you like it, use it and
forget about MP and the resulting problems.

--
Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
"A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

TRENDING THREADS