Temp Files

Hello,
Soes anyone know if its safe to delete the temp files..Thx...Nick
2 answers Last reply
More about temp files

    In news:%23ftQUZrbFHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    NICHOLAS MEALE <nmeale28@earthlink.net> typed:

    > Soes anyone know if its safe to delete the temp
    > files..Thx...Nick

    Yes, they can, and should be, deleted periodically. The temp
    folder provides workspace for programs. Programs can create
    temporary files there for their own temporary use. Each program
    should delete all its temporary files when it closes, but for
    various reasons it doesn't always happen (for example, if the
    program crashes, it never gets to do this). That's why it's a
    good idea to periodically clean out anything left there.

    Also note that there are some program installations which work in
    two steps. The first step concludes by writing temporary files
    and rebooting. The second step starts automatically after
    rebooting and needs to find those files there (and then deletes
    them when it's done).

    Other than doing it automatically when rebooting (that would
    interfere with installations like the kind I described), it's
    always safe to delete the contents of the temp folder. Because
    it's safe to delete any temp files that aren't open and in use by
    an application, and since Windows won't let you delete open
    files, it's safe to (try to) delete them at any time. If any fail
    to delete because they're open, they'll either be deleted
    automatically when the app using them closes, or you'll get them
    next time.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    The best time to delete temp files is after a boot/reboot; after the desktop
    has stabilized. This way any files that were placed there by install
    programs (to be completed upon a reboot) will have executed and will no
    longer be needed. If a file is "in use" you will be warned and will NOT be
    able to delete that particular file.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    "NICHOLAS MEALE" <nmeale28@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > Soes anyone know if its safe to delete the temp files..Thx...Nick

Microsoft Windows XP