Ubuntu is nice

Well, it's a horrible, stupid name but the Linux distro seems well
polished and easy to install. Once again I wish for some killer app type
game to come out for Linux so I'd have more of a reason to boot into it.

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Polychromic wrote:

> Well, it's a horrible, stupid name but the Linux distro seems well
> polished and easy to install. Once again I wish for some killer app type
> game to come out for Linux so I'd have more of a reason to boot into it.

I'm contemplating a switch to Ubuntu as well. I'm a little put-off by
the lack of KDE, although I suppose I could add it afterwards.

It was quite entertaining to hear one of my colleagues talking about
using it at work.. "you want to install _what_ on the CVS server?"

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 20:15:10 +0100, "J. P. Morris" <jpm@it-he.org> wrote:

>Polychromic wrote:
>
>> Well, it's a horrible, stupid name but the Linux distro seems well
>> polished and easy to install. Once again I wish for some killer app type
>> game to come out for Linux so I'd have more of a reason to boot into it.
>
>I'm contemplating a switch to Ubuntu as well. I'm a little put-off by
>the lack of KDE, although I suppose I could add it afterwards.

Well, if you really want that you could always just use the original -
Windows. ;)

Polychromic wrote:

>>I'm contemplating a switch to Ubuntu as well. I'm a little put-off by
>>the lack of KDE, although I suppose I could add it afterwards.
>

> Well, if you really want that you could always just use the original -
> Windows. ;)

I don't know why KDE is so popular - they insist on rewriting everything
from scratch or provide their own wierd frontend even if there's a
perfectly good one already (eg XScreensaver). They do have some really
good educational games though...

KDE also likes to make changes to config files without really asking, too.

--
Chris Craig
http://ciotog.net

Words to the wise, Chris Craig <usenet@ciotog.net> wrote:

>KDE also likes to make changes to config files without really asking, too.

MY stance towards KDE is that its a system being designed to lure
windows users away.

That is okay, but thats where its usefulness ends. People dont switch
from Windows to *nix just to have the same nonsense all over again.

If I am sitting at a Linux desktop, I always use Gnome, and if I am
sitting at a Solaris machine, CDE is my friend :>

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 23:01:01 -0600, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
scribed into the Great Tome of Farnarkling:
> Well, it's a horrible, stupid name

It's an African word meaning "humanity to others" - the distribution is
intended to be more user-friendly, especially for newer users.

> but the Linux distro seems well
> polished and easy to install. Once again I wish for some killer app type
> game to come out for Linux so I'd have more of a reason to boot into it.

Doom 3 not enough for you ;-)

Cheers,
'punt (Fedora Core 3 for me..)

--
The Internet: Where men are men, women are men,
and children are law enforcement agents.

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 16:08:34 +1000, Michael Fleming
<bitbucket@enlartenment.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 23:01:01 -0600, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
>scribed into the Great Tome of Farnarkling:
>> Well, it's a horrible, stupid name
>
>It's an African word meaning "humanity to others" - the distribution is
>intended to be more user-friendly, especially for newer users.

I know that. Their whole index page goes on about the name. It's still
horrible. Why not "Black Razor Steaming Death Linux" or something more
appealing? Or if they want to be appealing to newbies, "Barney Linux".
It loves you, it loves you, ...

>> but the Linux distro seems well
>> polished and easy to install. Once again I wish for some killer app type
>> game to come out for Linux so I'd have more of a reason to boot into it.
>
>Doom 3 not enough for you ;-)

Nope, I played more engaging games on a teletype terminal in the 70s.

--

Polychromic wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 20:15:10 +0100, "J. P. Morris" <jpm@it-he.org> wrote:
>
>>Polychromic wrote:
>>
>>> Well, it's a horrible, stupid name but the Linux distro seems well
>>> polished and easy to install. Once again I wish for some killer app
>>> type game to come out for Linux so I'd have more of a reason to boot
>>> into it.
>>
>>I'm contemplating a switch to Ubuntu as well. I'm a little put-off by
>>the lack of KDE, although I suppose I could add it afterwards.
>
> Well, if you really want that you could always just use the original -
> Windows. ;)

Eeep. Let's see: No symlinks, no VT switching, no /dev or /proc
directories. Requires activation. No ability to fix trivially stupid
problems in the software, kernel or device drivers. No bundled compiler.
Commercial compiler from Microsoft has no optimisation ability.
No support for ReiserFS. Poor DOS application support.

Seriously, I prefer KDE because I've been using it since it came out
around 1997. It has a decent dialer app.. I haven't even been able to
find the one that comes with Gnome. In fact I had very, very serious
problems trying to make Gnome do anything at all last time I used it.

I tend to use KDE for the WM and for some of it's neat little utilities..
for actual applications, I tend to prefer GTK ones. I do run a
rather strange ship here..

--

Claus Dragon wrote:

> If I am sitting at a Linux desktop, I always use Gnome, and if I am
> sitting at a Solaris machine, CDE is my friend :>

I've been using WindowMaker recently, mostly because I can let my
daughter play around on the computer without worrying too much that
she'll make a mess of things (right now she doesn't know about
right-clicking and WM relies to a large extent on it). I've grown to
like it quite a bit and will probably stay with it.

As for Solaris, I've been downloading Solaris 10 during the odd times
when our DSL connection gets ridiculously fast (maybe twice a week or so
so far), and I can't wait to try it out.

--
Chris Craig
http://ciotog.net

J. P. Morris wrote:

> Seriously, I prefer KDE because I've been using it since it came out
> around 1997. It has a decent dialer app.. I haven't even been able to
> find the one that comes with Gnome. In fact I had very, very serious
> problems trying to make Gnome do anything at all last time I used it.

I used the ModemLights panel applet to simply run the ppp-on and ppp-off
scripts. KPPP is horribly slow and cludgy...

> I tend to use KDE for the WM and for some of it's neat little utilities..
> for actual applications, I tend to prefer GTK ones. I do run a
> rather strange ship here..

I think most Linux users mix and match various utilities - KDE has some
neat games but that's about it, I prefer lots of Gnome apps for things
like image viewing (GThumb) and some text editing (GEdit), otherwise
there are are console programs like Midnight Commander for file
manipulation.

--
Chris Craig
http://ciotog.net

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 03:00:15 -0500, Chris Craig <usenet@ciotog.net> wrote:

>I think most Linux users mix and match various utilities - KDE has some
>neat games but that's about it, I prefer lots of Gnome apps for things
>like image viewing (GThumb) and some text editing (GEdit), otherwise
>there are are console programs like Midnight Commander for file
>manipulation.

I really hate installing all the KDE support files just for one program.
It's like install all the .NET framework for one little text editor.
Blargh. Hate.

--

Polychromic wrote:

> I really hate installing all the KDE support files just for one program.
> It's like install all the .NET framework for one little text editor.
> Blargh. Hate.

Yeah, it's amazing how many new processes are created just to run
ktuberling.

--
Cape Dweller Dragon

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:44:21 +0100, J. P. Morris wrote:

> Polychromic wrote:

>>>I'm contemplating a switch to Ubuntu as well. I'm a little put-off by
>>>the lack of KDE, although I suppose I could add it afterwards.
>>
>> Well, if you really want that you could always just use the original -
>> Windows. ;)
>
> Eeep. Let's see: No symlinks, no VT switching, no /dev or /proc
> directories. Requires activation. No ability to fix trivially stupid
> problems in the software, kernel or device drivers. No bundled compiler.
> Commercial compiler from Microsoft has no optimisation ability.
> No support for ReiserFS. Poor DOS application support.
>
> Seriously, I prefer KDE because I've been using it since it came out
> around 1997. It has a decent dialer app.. I haven't even been able to
> find the one that comes with Gnome. In fact I had very, very serious
> problems trying to make Gnome do anything at all last time I used it.
>
> I tend to use KDE for the WM and for some of it's neat little utilities..
> for actual applications, I tend to prefer GTK ones. I do run a
> rather strange ship here..

I wanted to write something like this, but couldn't have done it better!
Thanks.

Polychromic wrote:

> On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 03:00:15 -0500, Chris Craig <usenet@ciotog.net> wrote:
>
> I really hate installing all the KDE support files just for one program.
> It's like install all the .NET framework for one little text editor.
> Blargh. Hate.

Yes. Of course, I've had exactly the same problem with Gnome.

On 2005-03-29, J. P. Morris <jpm@it-he.org> wrote:
> Polychromic wrote:
>
>> Well, it's a horrible, stupid name but the Linux distro seems well
>> polished and easy to install. Once again I wish for some killer app type
>> game to come out for Linux so I'd have more of a reason to boot into it.
>
> I'm contemplating a switch to Ubuntu as well. I'm a little put-off by
> the lack of KDE, although I suppose I could add it afterwards.

Kubuntu:
http://www.kubuntu.org.uk/

I believe that you can get KDE just by adding the Kubuntu apt archive to your
existing Ubuntu install (nano /etc/apt/sources.list).

Kadmos Dragon

Optician Dragon wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 13:04:43 +0100, "J. P. Morris" <jpm@it-he.org>
> wrote:
>
>>I might try Kubuntu, or I may wait until I can obtain broadband, but
>>for now I'm going to stick with what I have, because it works.
>>
> Sounds like Erimess trying to get XP working again. :)
> In a way, I'm glad I have no such in-depth knowledge, or I would be
> tempted to do something like that and get too frustrated, so I stick
> to XP, which really gives me very little problems, except when
> switching from an Intel mobo to AMD. But a clean install fixed that
> just fine.

I have strange requirements and strange hardware. It really helps
separate the men from the boys with regard to operating systems, but
it makes life difficult to actually get things done.

I haven't yet found a Linux I can install from scratch without
customising beyond belief. Fedora is the nearest I've found, and that
has its own set of problems.

--

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 20:43:27 +0100, "J. P. Morris" <jpm@it-he.org> wrote:

>I haven't yet found a Linux I can install from scratch without
>customising beyond belief. Fedora is the nearest I've found, and that
>has its own set of problems.

You can always try Puppy Linux - it's the live cd distro (60MB?) that uses
a multisession cd format to write you customizations back to the disc. I
thought that was smart, but it didn't get too far booting up my system
(which works fine for every other linux distro I've tried, right out of
the box.)