security worries with my router.

i have a router with three pc's on it all sharing internet and file with
each other.
how can i be sure that their files are not shared with other internet users,
not on my network, ie. you !! ;-)
or is that what the router does?
very new to networking so please be gentle.

how can i be more secure if i am not already.
i have passworded the router for the admin side of things.
i have set the range of the pc ip addresses to a minimum. i.e 123,123,123,0
to 123,123,123,3
not sure if this is a good idea! but it still works.

thank you.
1 answer Last reply
More about security worries router

    For specific advice, you should include the brand and model of the router.

    In general, if the router has a firewall and the firewall is configured and
    workiing properly, that's a good start.

    There is a lot of good information available here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/default.mspx

    Finally, limited the size of your DHCP pool isn't going to do anything for
    you from a security standpoint.

    Hope this helps.

    "Help !!" <.> wrote in message news:eql4ZFsbFHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >i have a router with three pc's on it all sharing internet and file with
    >each other.
    > how can i be sure that their files are not shared with other internet
    > users, not on my network, ie. you !! ;-)
    > or is that what the router does?
    > very new to networking so please be gentle.
    >
    > how can i be more secure if i am not already.
    > i have passworded the router for the admin side of things.
    > i have set the range of the pc ip addresses to a minimum. i.e
    > 123,123,123,0 to 123,123,123,3
    > not sure if this is a good idea! but it still works.
    >

    > thank you.

Routers Security Internet Internet Explorer Windows XP