I'm back.....

Well, sort of. I'll be much happier once I get more of my stuff installed --
going to the newsguy site is making me crazy and I will kiss the ground my Free
Agent walks on.

So, I had to work at my brother's for two days, and no we didn't strangle each
other. Not sure he appreciated it when I was there Monday night til 11:00
downloading stuff. :)

Monday night I played Duke Nukem on the hard drive. Jeez, how I hate
repartitioning! Er... I think it was about 5 hours between when I got home
Tuesday and starting reinstalling and the time I actually ventured back online.

I've scanned the hell out of this computer about every which way. Scanned first
before getting online, including all my backup CDs and such. Finally decided
I'd done all I could and got online about midnight to get the Norton updates.
Then scanned everything again. Since my online scan from Norton had been
picking up those viruses, but scanning offline with the software wasn't, I got
this hangup about doing the online scan. Clean. (What a nice screen saying
"Congratulations!") I then got bolder and copied my backup CDs onto the hard
drive one at a time, and did the online scan again to include those. Everything
still clean.

OK, I'm still afraid of my backups. Do I have reason to be, or am I being
overly paranoid? (Hey, you try to be careful and someone sneaks in your back
door anyway, and you get paranoid.) I want my stuff back. Any downloaded setup
files I can always re-download if I want to play it safe, but eventually gotta
get my data files.

Yes, I know the real question... yes, there's a little line up at the top of my
screen that says Mozilla Firefox. :) (Does that let me into the *real* geeks
club?) I'm still trying to figure out the settings. Not much security stuff.
Any suggestions on the settings? Does "only on the originating site" mean it
blocks third party stuff? That'd be cool. Not sure what I think of it yet.
And I did have Firefox and IE open at the same time. Had some goofy problems at
Norton, but I tried with IE alone later and I think it was my security settings
and not a crossfire between the two browsers.

Yes, I know the *real* question is whether Firefox worked for work. Too bad...
I'll answer that later. :) (Actually, the answer's yes and no, just don't feel
like explaining that right now.)

Right now I just wanna get off this disgusting site, get my newsreader and data
files back, and get my saved games back!! I want my mommy!

Really, I just need to go to bed... the neighbors are all leaving for work and I
haven't gone to bed yet.

On 31 Mar 2005 04:15:27 -0800, erimess <erimess_member@newsguy.com> wrote:

>Well, sort of. I'll be much happier once I get more of my stuff installed --
>going to the newsguy site is making me crazy and I will kiss the ground my Free
>Agent walks on.
>
>So, I had to work at my brother's for two days, and no we didn't strangle each
>other. Not sure he appreciated it when I was there Monday night til 11:00
>downloading stuff. :)
>
>Monday night I played Duke Nukem on the hard drive. Jeez, how I hate
>repartitioning! Er... I think it was about 5 hours between when I got home
>Tuesday and starting reinstalling and the time I actually ventured back online.
>
>I've scanned the hell out of this computer about every which way. Scanned first
>before getting online, including all my backup CDs and such. Finally decided
>I'd done all I could and got online about midnight to get the Norton updates.
>Then scanned everything again. Since my online scan from Norton had been
>picking up those viruses, but scanning offline with the software wasn't, I got
>this hangup about doing the online scan. Clean. (What a nice screen saying
>"Congratulations!") I then got bolder and copied my backup CDs onto the hard
>drive one at a time, and did the online scan again to include those. Everything
>still clean.

Now would be a good time to create a backup image of your system. If
you've got multiple drives you could image the system drive to a file on a
different drive. That way if things go south again it will be a quick job
to restore the image back. I'm using Ghost 8.0 for imaging but Acronis,
Disk Image aka Ghost 9, and the free to test BootitNG <www.bootitng.com>
all can do imaging like this.

>OK, I'm still afraid of my backups. Do I have reason to be, or am I being
>overly paranoid? (Hey, you try to be careful and someone sneaks in your back
>door anyway, and you get paranoid.) I want my stuff back. Any downloaded setup
>files I can always re-download if I want to play it safe, but eventually gotta
>get my data files.

Well, I'd just suggest scanning with several different AVs. Relying on
multiple vendors decreases the chances that something will slip through.

Also, you need to check whether the scanners you use will scan inside
archives and compressed files. A UPX compressed virus inside an RAR
archive is probably going to slip past most scanners. One thing that will
help is if you expand out any archives you intend on using before scanning
them.

>Yes, I know the real question... yes, there's a little line up at the top of my
>screen that says Mozilla Firefox. :) (Does that let me into the *real* geeks
>club?) I'm still trying to figure out the settings. Not much security stuff.
>Any suggestions on the settings? Does "only on the originating site" mean it
>blocks third party stuff? That'd be cool. Not sure what I think of it yet.

For cookies that means only the originating site can read those cookies.
Firefox defaults to blocking most popups. You might still get Java popups
though. I click on the Advanced button for Javascript and toggle off
everything except "change images".

You might want to get an Extension called Adblock.
<https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/?os=Windows&application=firefox>
Then load in (Tools > Adblock > Preferences) the settings from the good
list here: <www.geocities.com/pierceive/adblock> and you will hardly ever
see any more adverts.

>And I did have Firefox and IE open at the same time. Had some goofy problems at
>Norton, but I tried with IE alone later and I think it was my security settings
>and not a crossfire between the two browsers.
>
>Yes, I know the *real* question is whether Firefox worked for work. Too bad...
>I'll answer that later. :) (Actually, the answer's yes and no, just don't feel
>like explaining that right now.)
>
>Right now I just wanna get off this disgusting site, get my newsreader and data
>files back, and get my saved games back!! I want my mommy!
>
>Really, I just need to go to bed... the neighbors are all leaving for work and I
>haven't gone to bed yet.

Nighty nite.

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

erimess wrote:
> Monday night I played Duke Nukem on the hard drive. Jeez, how I hate
> repartitioning! Er... I think it was about 5 hours between when I got home
> Tuesday and starting reinstalling and the time I actually ventured back online.

Does the WinXP installer insist on scanning the entire free space each
time a new partition is going to be created like the Win98 one does?
That would get really tedious - I'm glad that the linux based
partitioners don't do that.

> OK, I'm still afraid of my backups. Do I have reason to be, or am I being
> overly paranoid?

Well most data files are impossible to infect, so it depends on what
type they are. Pictures are almost definitely safe, plain text files of
course are (except batch files), anything with macros might be a problem.

> Yes, I know the real question... yes, there's a little line up at the top of my
> screen that says Mozilla Firefox. :) (Does that let me into the *real* geeks
> club?)

My dad uses Firefox so I say no :)

> I'm still trying to figure out the settings. Not much security stuff.

Really? I'd say a lot more security stuff than IE.

> Any suggestions on the settings? Does "only on the originating site" mean it
> blocks third party stuff? That'd be cool. Not sure what I think of it yet.

Image blocking is amazing - web pages load much faster when you've
blocked images from primarily ad servers like doubleclick.net. I used to
use Naviscope years ago and a lot of its functionality is included with
Mozilla/Firefox.

> Right now I just wanna get off this disgusting site, get my newsreader and data
> files back, and get my saved games back!! I want my mommy!

Ok, now you're a real geek! :)

--
Chris Craig
http://ciotog.net

Polychromic wrote:

>>Well most data files are impossible to infect, so it depends on what type
>>they are. Pictures are almost definitely safe,
>
> Pictures are definitely not safe. Have you not heard about the recent
> problems with PNG files? What about executable GIFs? It depends a lot on
> what updates you've applied and what programs you're using to view the
> images really.

I'd heard of a potential jpeg virus, but nothing with png or gifs. Hmm...
after looking around it seems to be fairly recent - are you referring to
this:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05-009.mspx

It appears to be a problem with those particular MS programs, not with
the PNGs themselves. Well, the PNGs are created to be corrupt (improper
width or height values) but the software should check that.

--
Cape Dweller Dragon

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 04:55:10 -0500, Cape Dweller <usenet@ciotog.net>
wrote:

>Polychromic wrote:
>
>>>Well most data files are impossible to infect, so it depends on what type
>>>they are. Pictures are almost definitely safe,
>>
>> Pictures are definitely not safe. Have you not heard about the recent
>> problems with PNG files? What about executable GIFs? It depends a lot on
>> what updates you've applied and what programs you're using to view the
>> images really.
>
>I'd heard of a potential jpeg virus, but nothing with png or gifs. Hmm...
>after looking around it seems to be fairly recent - are you referring to
>this:
>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05-009.mspx
>
>It appears to be a problem with those particular MS programs, not with
>the PNGs themselves. Well, the PNGs are created to be corrupt (improper
>width or height values) but the software should check that.

Yes, and we are talking about Windows so that is relevant. Yes, if you
apply all the patches you're safe but that's a big IF for some people.

--

Words to the wise, erimess <erimess_member@newsguy.com> wrote:

>Any suggestions on the settings? Does "only on the originating site" mean it
>blocks third party stuff? That'd be cool. Not sure what I think of it yet.

If you use that for images, that means that for instance for ebay, no
product images are being loaded. For cookies, its okay, as far as I
can tell.

Basically, if you have a web page on
www.domain.server1.com/bla/file.html and load pictures in that file
coming from www.domain.server2/images/image1.jpg, then the image does
not get loaded as its not the original site. Its a nice feature, but
especially for larger websites its not applicable.

>And I did have Firefox and IE open at the same time. Had some goofy problems at
>Norton, but I tried with IE alone later and I think it was my security settings
>and not a crossfire between the two browsers.

To the best of my knowledge (and testing) there is no crossfiring,
even with a virus scanner running.

>Really, I just need to go to bed... the neighbors are all leaving for work and I
>haven't gone to bed yet.

Hehe, I know that feeling. Sometimes its better not to go to bed at
all afterwards.

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 17:33:17 +0200, Claus Dragon
<claus@ultima-dragons.org> wrote:

>Words to the wise, erimess <erimess_member@newsguy.com> wrote:
>

>>Any suggestions on the settings? Does "only on the originating site" mean it
>>blocks third party stuff? That'd be cool. Not sure what I think of it yet.
>
>If you use that for images, that means that for instance for ebay, no
>product images are being loaded. For cookies, its okay, as far as I
>can tell.

I sort of ended up figuring this out. I had an issue trying to get
images to show in an email. They don't show by default in my email,
but if it's something you trust you just click this button to open
them. Only they didn't. So I had to play around with the settings
once again. Also turned out I had to turn cookies on for the email
site, which I never have to do. Something about the images being
dangerous if you don't have the cookies on, but I didn't understand
what they were talking about.

I haven't even been to eBay yet to see what the heck that does.

--

Erimess Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

d++e+NT++Om UK!1!2!3!A!L!
U+uCuFuG+++uLB+uA+ nC+nH+nP+nS++nT-xa2

This is the comfort of everyone: That tho' they
may be said to die, yet their love and devotion
are, in best sense, ever present because immortal.
~William Penn
In memory of my father, 1 Jan 05

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 17:33:17 +0200, Claus Dragon
<claus@ultima-dragons.org> wrote:

>Words to the wise, erimess <erimess_member@newsguy.com> wrote:
>

>>Any suggestions on the settings? Does "only on the originating site" mean it
>>blocks third party stuff? That'd be cool. Not sure what I think of it yet.
>
>If you use that for images, that means that for instance for ebay, no
>product images are being loaded. For cookies, its okay, as far as I
>can tell.

OK, I just thought of a question about this. There's an exception
list for the images. If I check the originating site only, and then
add eBay into the exception list, does that mean only eBay is part of
the exception list, or anything from other sites that are on eBay
pages? The only time it would really matter is when someone uses a
third-party site for their pics.

The other choice is turn on images and then put stuff into the
disallowed exception list if I know they have a lot of annoying stuff,
such as my other email account. My Worldnet email has third-party
ads, their own ads, and they leave a bunch of cookies, which has to be
on to log in. (Of course, I'm not terribly annoyed by having to
delete cookies.)

And yes I know, I could go experiment, or even actually read the
site... but it's less time consuming asking here. :)

--

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:51:43 -0600, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
wrote:

>>OK, I'm still afraid of my backups. Do I have reason to be, or am I being
>>overly paranoid? (Hey, you try to be careful and someone sneaks in your back
>>door anyway, and you get paranoid.) I want my stuff back. Any downloaded setup
>>files I can always re-download if I want to play it safe, but eventually gotta
>>get my data files.
>
>Well, I'd just suggest scanning with several different AVs. Relying on
>multiple vendors decreases the chances that something will slip through.
>
>Also, you need to check whether the scanners you use will scan inside
>archives and compressed files. A UPX compressed virus inside an RAR
>archive is probably going to slip past most scanners. One thing that will
>help is if you expand out any archives you intend on using before scanning
>them.

OK... Norton found diddly squat, but avast found something, which
really more amused me than anything. It found Klez in a .rar of
DOS6.22, which I downloaded many moons ago and have never even used.
Isn't that the stupid thing that went around with those Windows Update
attachments? I have a feeling that didn't have anything to do with my
problems though. Everything else has checked out.

But this leads us to.... other annoying problems I'm having. Which
would be, for instance, that I couldn't do the online scan from Norton
with Firefox cause it was blocking the Active X thing it wanted. It
also actually does not work quite right with work -- it *almost* does,
and actually almost everything about it works better, like loading
pages faster and such, except that I have a screen capture function
missing, which the tech guy said just won't work with Firefox, and
that's not a good thing for me to have missing. So it's basically out
for work.

So today I was back using IE for work, but now it's loading the
whiteboards really, really slowly. I don't know why. Still might be
related to security stuff, like letting it through but being damn slow
about it or something. Wonder if that's something to do with the
Java, like maybe one of those settings could be changed... I emailed
the tech guy - again - and I'll see if he has any ideas. And BTW,
what is the applet tag support in Java?

I'm also having problems with not being able to use stuff, offline,
with no browser open, just on my own damn computer. Like I couldn't
even install the McAfee cause I got a message from Internet Explorer
stating that I couldn't run the ActiveX cause of my security settings.
Huh? It did occur to me that it wanted to go online for something and
therefore was looking at IE settings, but I added it to my trusted
sites and even put it in the exceptions for popups. And it just
doesn't work. I don't get it. (I never realized until the last week
how much stuff wants ActiveX.)

I do have to wonder if any of this is related to all the new security
junk. This is one reason I was leary of SP2. I'm perfectly capable
of downloading updates myself (and already have anyway), and I'm
capable of turning on a firewall myself, and I change stuff in
services anyway so what's the point (it just feels like more of Mr.
Bill doing everything automagically for me) .... and I'm getting very
annoyed at being screamed at every time I boot cause I don't have
automatic updates on. (And haven't yet figured out how to turn that
off or get that dumb little shield out of my system tray.)

And I HATE the bookmarks in Firefox. That right there about made me
dump in in the trash. I've always despised the Start Menu, so that
oughta give you a clue the first thing I hate. And I can't seem to
order them the way I want. There's like choices of ways to order
them, but no way that I can find to just move them around like I want.

Of course, I can use both browsers, Firefox when I feel the need for
some added security for whatever reason. (I've mostly been using it,
but I haven't done a lot of my normal stuff as of yet.)

Yeah, I'm sure you're gonna bitch at me about something I just
said....

>>Yes, I know the real question... yes, there's a little line up at the top of my
>>screen that says Mozilla Firefox. :) (Does that let me into the *real* geeks
>>club?) I'm still trying to figure out the settings. Not much security stuff.
>>Any suggestions on the settings? Does "only on the originating site" mean it
>>blocks third party stuff? That'd be cool. Not sure what I think of it yet.
>
>For cookies that means only the originating site can read those cookies.

Yeah, that's what my brother wondered.

--

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 03:19:31 -0500, Chris Craig <usenet@ciotog.net>
wrote:

>erimess wrote:
>> Monday night I played Duke Nukem on the hard drive. Jeez, how I hate
>> repartitioning! Er... I think it was about 5 hours between when I got home
>> Tuesday and starting reinstalling and the time I actually ventured back online.
>
>Does the WinXP installer insist on scanning the entire free space each
>time a new partition is going to be created like the Win98 one does?
>That would get really tedious - I'm glad that the linux based
>partitioners don't do that.

Who cares? I create the XP partition, install Partition Magic, set it
all up and then run off and watch a movie while it's doing its thing.
:)

And since when does Win98 create partitions anyway? Or are you
talking about when you format them all? Oh... or are you talking
about fdisk? (I guess the XP thing is just a Windows version of
fdisk.) Yeah, I do seem to recall that fdisk would check everything
over and over and over....

>> Yes, I know the real question... yes, there's a little line up at the top of my
>> screen that says Mozilla Firefox. :) (Does that let me into the *real* geeks
>> club?)
>
>My dad uses Firefox so I say no :)

Oh well... I'm pretty sure no one I work with would have ever even
heard of it.

>> I'm still trying to figure out the settings. Not much security stuff.
>
>Really? I'd say a lot more security stuff than IE.

I meant *settings.*

>> Any suggestions on the settings? Does "only on the originating site" mean it
>> blocks third party stuff? That'd be cool. Not sure what I think of it yet.
>
>Image blocking is amazing - web pages load much faster when you've
>blocked images from primarily ad servers like doubleclick.net. I used to
>use Naviscope years ago and a lot of its functionality is included with
>Mozilla/Firefox.

Haven't been much of anywhere yet so haven't had the pleasure.

>> Right now I just wanna get off this disgusting site, get my newsreader and data
>> files back, and get my saved games back!! I want my mommy!
>
>Ok, now you're a real geek! :)

For wanting my mommy or wanting my newsreader back?

--

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 05:05:10 -0500, erimess wrote:

>But this leads us to.... other annoying problems I'm having. Which
>would be, for instance, that I couldn't do the online scan from Norton
>with Firefox cause it was blocking the Active X thing it wanted. It

Yeah, if a site requires ActiveX then you'd need to use IE.

>also actually does not work quite right with work -- it *almost* does,
>and actually almost everything about it works better, like loading
>pages faster and such, except that I have a screen capture function
>missing, which the tech guy said just won't work with Firefox, and
>that's not a good thing for me to have missing. So it's basically out
>for work.

Is that a IE plugin or something specific to your job? You can of course
do screen captures in the normal manner - press Print Screen and it puts
the current screen into the clipboard so you can paste it into any graphic
program you want. Alt+Print Screen captures just the current application
Window. There are lots of screen capture programs too. I like one called
the Ultima Online Screenshot Utility because it does full screen DirectX
game captures nicely, automatically saving the captures as timestamped
bmps or jpgs and is free.
http://www.hh.iij4u.or.jp/~kmatuoka/uosu/indexe.html

>So today I was back using IE for work, but now it's loading the
>whiteboards really, really slowly. I don't know why. Still might be
>related to security stuff, like letting it through but being damn slow
>about it or something. Wonder if that's something to do with the
>Java, like maybe one of those settings could be changed... I emailed
>the tech guy - again - and I'll see if he has any ideas. And BTW,
>what is the applet tag support in Java?

Um...I don't know. Something about html tags calling for Java applets?

>I'm also having problems with not being able to use stuff, offline,
>with no browser open, just on my own damn computer. Like I couldn't
>even install the McAfee cause I got a message from Internet Explorer
>stating that I couldn't run the ActiveX cause of my security settings.
>Huh? It did occur to me that it wanted to go online for something and
>therefore was looking at IE settings, but I added it to my trusted
>sites and even put it in the exceptions for popups. And it just
>doesn't work. I don't get it. (I never realized until the last week
>how much stuff wants ActiveX.)

McAfee is annoying because it's tied into ActiveX. It doesn't have to go
online but it's using the IE engine to do screen draws. Kind of bad when
a security program wants you to lower your security in order to be
installed, eh? Was that version 9? I wonder if version 8 is the same
way? McAfee settled a class-action suit by providing version 8 for free
to anyone who has ever previously owned version 3 or 4 of their product.
Oops, I see that offer has expired. How can a settlement expire so soon?
Well, if you want version 8 let me know and I'll post it somewhere (8Mb).

>I do have to wonder if any of this is related to all the new security
>junk. This is one reason I was leary of SP2. I'm perfectly capable

Yes, somewhat. With SP2 IE is now much less ready to allow ActiveX
programs to automatically install themselves. This is a very good thing.
Of course, it's better if you just go with Firefox.

>of downloading updates myself (and already have anyway), and I'm
>capable of turning on a firewall myself, and I change stuff in
>services anyway so what's the point (it just feels like more of Mr.
>Bill doing everything automagically for me) .... and I'm getting very
>annoyed at being screamed at every time I boot cause I don't have
>automatic updates on. (And haven't yet figured out how to turn that
>off or get that dumb little shield out of my system tray.)

Hehe, that's a service you can turn off. Just set the Windows Security
Center, IIRC, to disabled and stop the service. Or you can dbl-click on
the systray icon and change the way it warns you if you want to keep it
running.

Remember that besides the obvious changes like those, SP2 also provides
many security patches you won't normally see. You definitely want it,
even if there is a learning curve to it.

>And I HATE the bookmarks in Firefox. That right there about made me
>dump in in the trash. I've always despised the Start Menu, so that
>oughta give you a clue the first thing I hate. And I can't seem to
>order them the way I want. There's like choices of ways to order
>them, but no way that I can find to just move them around like I want.

You don't like the bookmark manager? It has drag and drop capability.
Just like you can drag an URL from the address field to the personal
bookmark tool bar, kind of.

What I like to do is make bookmarks for all the sites of a type that I
like, then move them into a folder, then move that folder into my personal
bookmark toolbar. Then they show up on toolbar all in their own folder.
If I use the mouse wheel to click the folder, all the sites in that folder
open up. So I have three folders like that - favs, comics and blogs.
Makes it easier than manually clicking open each site I like to read on a
daily basis.

>Of course, I can use both browsers, Firefox when I feel the need for
>some added security for whatever reason. (I've mostly been using it,
>but I haven't done a lot of my normal stuff as of yet.)

Just don't decide you don't like Firefox because it's different, give it a
chance and you will appreciate all the little niceties that you might not
see at first.

>Yeah, I'm sure you're gonna bitch at me about something I just
>said....

Nope, not really. If you want to get infected with horrible malware, that
is your choice. :)

--

erimess wrote:

> And I HATE the bookmarks in Firefox. That right there about made me
> dump in in the trash. I've always despised the Start Menu, so that
> oughta give you a clue the first thing I hate. And I can't seem to
> order them the way I want. There's like choices of ways to order
> them, but no way that I can find to just move them around like I want.

This just caught my eye.. I don't understand what you mean.
In the bookmark manager, you just reorder them by dragging them around,
as was done in Netscape.

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 05:05:10 -0500, erimess wrote:

>I do have to wonder if any of this is related to all the new security
>junk. This is one reason I was leary of SP2. I'm perfectly capable
>of downloading updates myself (and already have anyway), and I'm
>capable of turning on a firewall myself, and I change stuff in
>services anyway so what's the point (it just feels like more of Mr.
>Bill doing everything automagically for me) .... and I'm getting very
>annoyed at being screamed at every time I boot cause I don't have
>automatic updates on. (And haven't yet figured out how to turn that
>off or get that dumb little shield out of my system tray.)

Turn of the Security Center in Services to remove that problem. :)

>And I HATE the bookmarks in Firefox. That right there about made me
>dump in in the trash. I've always despised the Start Menu, so that
>oughta give you a clue the first thing I hate. And I can't seem to
>order them the way I want. There's like choices of ways to order
>them, but no way that I can find to just move them around like I want.

I also did not like the bookmarking in Firefox, until I figured them
out.

Of course, I can use both browsers, Firefox when I feel the need for
>some added security for whatever reason. (I've mostly been using it,
>but I haven't done a lot of my normal stuff as of yet.)
>
>Yeah, I'm sure you're gonna bitch at me about something I just
>said....
>

>>>Yes, I know the real question... yes, there's a little line up at the top of my
>>>screen that says Mozilla Firefox. :) (Does that let me into the *real* geeks
>>>club?) I'm still trying to figure out the settings. Not much security stuff.
>>>Any suggestions on the settings? Does "only on the originating site" mean it
>>>blocks third party stuff? That'd be cool. Not sure what I think of it yet.
>>
>>For cookies that means only the originating site can read those cookies.
>
>Yeah, that's what my brother wondered.

-=UDIC=-
Optician Dragon
"Life Is Like A Can Of Tuna Fish - Sometimes It's Good, Sometimes It's Not So Good"
-Alfred E. Neumann

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 05:06:29 -0500, erimess wrote:

>On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 03:19:31 -0500, Chris Craig <usenet@ciotog.net>
>wrote:
>
>>erimess wrote:
>>> Monday night I played Duke Nukem on the hard drive. Jeez, how I hate
>>> repartitioning! Er... I think it was about 5 hours between when I got home
>>> Tuesday and starting reinstalling and the time I actually ventured back online.
>>
>>Does the WinXP installer insist on scanning the entire free space each
>>time a new partition is going to be created like the Win98 one does?
>>That would get really tedious - I'm glad that the linux based
>>partitioners don't do that.
>
>Who cares? I create the XP partition, install Partition Magic, set it
>all up and then run off and watch a movie while it's doing its thing.
>:)
Oh, you use Partition Magic. I hear there have been some problems
with XP and Partition Magic. Maybe Poly can explain further.
>And since when does Win98 create partitions anyway? Or are you
>talking about when you format them all? Oh... or are you talking
>about fdisk? (I guess the XP thing is just a Windows version of
>fdisk.) Yeah, I do seem to recall that fdisk would check everything
>over and over and over....
>

>>> Yes, I know the real question... yes, there's a little line up at the top of my
>>> screen that says Mozilla Firefox. :) (Does that let me into the *real* geeks
>>> club?)
>>
>>My dad uses Firefox so I say no :)
>
>Oh well... I'm pretty sure no one I work with would have ever even
>heard of it.
>

>>> I'm still trying to figure out the settings. Not much security stuff.
>>
>>Really? I'd say a lot more security stuff than IE.
>
>I meant *settings.*
>

>>> Any suggestions on the settings? Does "only on the originating site" mean it
>>> blocks third party stuff? That'd be cool. Not sure what I think of it yet.
>>
>>Image blocking is amazing - web pages load much faster when you've
>>blocked images from primarily ad servers like doubleclick.net. I used to
>>use Naviscope years ago and a lot of its functionality is included with
>>Mozilla/Firefox.
>
>Haven't been much of anywhere yet so haven't had the pleasure.
>

>>> Right now I just wanna get off this disgusting site, get my newsreader and data
>>> files back, and get my saved games back!! I want my mommy!
>>
>>Ok, now you're a real geek! :)
>
>For wanting my mommy or wanting my newsreader back?

-=UDIC=-
Optician Dragon
"Life Is Like A Can Of Tuna Fish - Sometimes It's Good, Sometimes It's Not So Good"
-Alfred E. Neumann

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 15:13:11 GMT, Optician Dragon
<DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:

> Oh, you use Partition Magic. I hear there have been some problems
>with XP and Partition Magic. Maybe Poly can explain further.

Problems? None that I can recall. Lots of PEBKAC situations though, like
the hordes of people who insist on using FAT32 for 200GB external drives
and what not. Lots of drive letter confusion too, but that's mostly for
secondary drives not the system drive. Those are due to lack of user
knowledge not a problem with PM.

I just rarely use PM now since XP's installer can do partitioning and
formatting easily enough. It was useful back a bit when your alternative
was to wait for fdisk to do it's thing.

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
RGCUD Photo Gallery: http://home.comcast.net/~rgcud/

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002

Quoth J. P. Morris <jpm@it-he.org>:
> This just caught my eye.. I don't understand what you mean.
> In the bookmark manager, you just reorder them by dragging them around,
> as was done in Netscape.

I'm guessing Erimess means you can't just click on the bookmarks as
they appear on the menu and drag them, which /can/ be a bit of a pain,
but isn't really a major one, for me at least. I don't change my
bookmarks often enough to make using the bookmark manager an issue.

Most importantly, it actually still calls them bookmarks, rather than
the horribly Windows-ese 'Favourites'. Bleah.
\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\\/////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 17:47:23 +0100, Samurai <Samurai@his.reply-to.header>
wrote:

>Most importantly, it actually still calls them bookmarks, rather than
>the horribly Windows-ese 'Favorites'. Bleah.

You spelled something wrong. I fixed it for you. <VEG>

So you hate that term. Do you use the Folder term over Directory?

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
RGCUD Photo Gallery: http://home.comcast.net/~rgcud/

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 17:47:23 +0100, Samurai
<Samurai@his.reply-to.header> wrote:

>Quoth J. P. Morris <jpm@it-he.org>:
>> This just caught my eye.. I don't understand what you mean.
>> In the bookmark manager, you just reorder them by dragging them around,
>> as was done in Netscape.
>
>I'm guessing Erimess means you can't just click on the bookmarks as
>they appear on the menu and drag them, which /can/ be a bit of a pain,
>but isn't really a major one, for me at least. I don't change my
>bookmarks often enough to make using the bookmark manager an issue.

Exactly!! And I have tons and tons of bookmarks, all organized in a
particular way, or I'd get totally lost. So for me, this is a big
deal.

--

Erimess Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

d++e+NT++Om UK!1!2!3!A!L!
U+uCuFuG+++uLB+uA+ nC+nH+nP+nS++nT-xa2

This is the comfort of everyone: That tho' they
may be said to die, yet their love and devotion
are, in best sense, ever present because immortal.
~William Penn
In memory of my father, 1 Jan 05

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 14:31:15 GMT, Optician Dragon
<DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 05:05:10 -0500, erimess wrote:
>
>>I do have to wonder if any of this is related to all the new security
>>junk. This is one reason I was leary of SP2. I'm perfectly capable
>>of downloading updates myself (and already have anyway), and I'm
>>capable of turning on a firewall myself, and I change stuff in
>>services anyway so what's the point (it just feels like more of Mr.
>>Bill doing everything automagically for me) .... and I'm getting very
>>annoyed at being screamed at every time I boot cause I don't have
>>automatic updates on. (And haven't yet figured out how to turn that
>>off or get that dumb little shield out of my system tray.)
>

>Turn of the Security Center in Services to remove that problem. :)

Ah, I knew there *had* to be a way. I just haven't gotten passed M on
that site Poly gave me yet. (I'm just very tired of messing with all
this stuff, so I'm getting frustrated quickly.)

--

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 12:26:22 -0600, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 05:05:10 -0500, erimess wrote:
>
>>also actually does not work quite right with work -- it *almost* does,
>>and actually almost everything about it works better, like loading
>>pages faster and such, except that I have a screen capture function
>>missing, which the tech guy said just won't work with Firefox, and
>>that's not a good thing for me to have missing. So it's basically out
>>for work.
>
>Is that a IE plugin or something specific to your job?

It's specific to their software. I have no idea why it won't work
with Firefox -- the guy didn't explain. But it would be nice if they
would work on that.

> You can of course
>do screen captures in the normal manner - press Print Screen and it puts
>the current screen into the clipboard so you can paste it into any graphic
>program you want. Alt+Print Screen captures just the current application
>Window. There are lots of screen capture programs too. I like one called
>the Ultima Online Screenshot Utility because it does full screen DirectX
>game captures nicely, automatically saving the captures as timestamped
>bmps or jpgs and is free.
>http://www.hh.iij4u.or.jp/~kmatuoka/uosu/indexe.html

This isn't really what it's doing. We *can* do a screen capture, but
it's mostly a, er, I'll call it a "section capture." There's no way
we could really utilize an entire screen. I use it to capture little
things I've done in Excel, which might comprise only a few cells or
something. Only way around it is doing an entire screen capture,
slapping it in Paint or whatever, cropping it, re-saving it, and then
using the upload file feature to get just that part, and the upload
feature takes forever. But I don't have time to do that when I'm
working live with someone. That little capture thing is a wonderful
tool. The problem is that the whiteboard doesn't work "normally" and
many things you could do elsewhere just don't work. It has a paste
function too, but it screws everything all up.

Kind of a shame, cause the Firefox was loading everything much faster
and otherwise working great.

Now, I might go look at that thing and take advantage of it for games.
:)

>>So today I was back using IE for work, but now it's loading the
>>whiteboards really, really slowly. I don't know why. Still might be
>>related to security stuff, like letting it through but being damn slow
>>about it or something. Wonder if that's something to do with the
>>Java, like maybe one of those settings could be changed... I emailed
>>the tech guy - again - and I'll see if he has any ideas. And BTW,
>>what is the applet tag support in Java?
>
>Um...I don't know. Something about html tags calling for Java applets?

YOU DON'T KNOW? You actually don't *know* something?? :) It's in
the advanced tab of the Sun Java I have now.

>>I'm also having problems with not being able to use stuff, offline,
>>with no browser open, just on my own damn computer. Like I couldn't
>>even install the McAfee cause I got a message from Internet Explorer
>>stating that I couldn't run the ActiveX cause of my security settings.
>>Huh? It did occur to me that it wanted to go online for something and
>>therefore was looking at IE settings, but I added it to my trusted
>>sites and even put it in the exceptions for popups. And it just
>>doesn't work. I don't get it. (I never realized until the last week
>>how much stuff wants ActiveX.)
>
>McAfee is annoying because it's tied into ActiveX. It doesn't have to go
>online but it's using the IE engine to do screen draws. Kind of bad when
>a security program wants you to lower your security in order to be
>installed, eh?

Huh! Yeah. I tried screwing around with the security and it still
won't work.

> Was that version 9?

Uh... don't know. Right now it's just in a Dell folder from where it
extracted it off the CD. Can't find a version. I would've sworn I
had a *real* McAfee that came with this computer and not just that
Dell thing, but can't find it.

> I wonder if version 8 is the same
>way? McAfee settled a class-action suit by providing version 8 for free
>to anyone who has ever previously owned version 3 or 4 of their product.
>Oops, I see that offer has expired. How can a settlement expire so soon?
>Well, if you want version 8 let me know and I'll post it somewhere (8Mb).

Sure. :) Too bad I missed that cause I do have one of those older
versions. Used to lock up the computer.

>>I do have to wonder if any of this is related to all the new security
>>junk. This is one reason I was leary of SP2. I'm perfectly capable
>
>Yes, somewhat. With SP2 IE is now much less ready to allow ActiveX
>programs to automatically install themselves. This is a very good thing.
>Of course, it's better if you just go with Firefox.

It's a good thing as long as I can still install what I want. I have
noticed it's been giving me these cutesy little messages across the
top of the screen telling me what it's blocking and why, and giving me
an option to do it anyway. Only sometimes it doesn't seem to work,
even when I back up a page and refresh everything.

>Remember that besides the obvious changes like those, SP2 also provides
>many security patches you won't normally see.

Sneaky little rats. I really much prefer having my own control over
things. But I've been bitching about such things my entire life and
no one ever accommodates me. :)

> You definitely want it,
>even if there is a learning curve to it.
>
>>And I HATE the bookmarks in Firefox. That right there about made me
>>dump in in the trash. I've always despised the Start Menu, so that
>>oughta give you a clue the first thing I hate. And I can't seem to
>>order them the way I want. There's like choices of ways to order
>>them, but no way that I can find to just move them around like I want.
>
>You don't like the bookmark manager? It has drag and drop capability.
>Just like you can drag an URL from the address field to the personal
>bookmark tool bar, kind of.
>
>What I like to do is make bookmarks for all the sites of a type that I
>like, then move them into a folder, then move that folder into my personal
>bookmark toolbar.

I don't get it. What's the personal bookmark toolbar? It's got these
big folders that were already there, and then when I imported from IE
it made a new folder called (creatively enough) "from Internet
Explorer." I did figure out how to take two of the folders that were
already there and drag them into the IE folder so at least they're all
together. Is this what you're talking about? Like instead of having
all my old bookmarks inside that IE folder, make folders that are
equivalent to my old folders *outside* the IE folder. And then I can
make a Misc folder for the leftover junk. So when I click on the
Bookmark menu, I'd have a whole dropdown thing with "Computer" "Games"
"Tutoring" etc -- my old folders. You see what I mean?

>>Of course, I can use both browsers, Firefox when I feel the need for
>>some added security for whatever reason. (I've mostly been using it,
>>but I haven't done a lot of my normal stuff as of yet.)
>
>Just don't decide you don't like Firefox because it's different, give it a
>chance and you will appreciate all the little niceties that you might not
>see at first.

I knew someone would say that. Actually I liked it better when I
first started using it, cause I almost really didn't noticed the
difference, and it's got less junk which I prefer. But I started
liking it less after using it a few days.

>>Yeah, I'm sure you're gonna bitch at me about something I just
>>said....
>
>Nope, not really. If you want to get infected with horrible malware, that
>is your choice. :)

Yeah, I knew you'd say that too. My philosophy about the internet is
that you have "can do anything I want but very unsafe" on one side,
and "very safe but can't do anything" on the other, and you just have
to decide how you want to balance that. Admittedly, since I do the
updates manually, I do need to be better about paying attention to
when new ones come out and getting them. And I never got the new ones
from 2/8, so you can smack me for that.

--

Polychromic wrote:

>>It appears to be a problem with those particular MS programs, not with
>>the PNGs themselves. Well, the PNGs are created to be corrupt (improper
>>width or height values) but the software should check that.
>
> Yes, and we are talking about Windows so that is relevant. Yes, if you
> apply all the patches you're safe but that's a big IF for some people.

Actually I was wrong, the problem was with libpng not with the Microsoft
software - but from what I read it's fairly difficult to actually get
affected (kinda like STDs).

--
Cape Dweller Dragon

erimess wrote:

> Of course, I can use both browsers, Firefox when I feel the need for some
> added security for whatever reason.

Make sure you check out the Firefox Extensions. There are some fantastic
ones - like ForcastFox (weather reports in the status bar),
DictionarySearch (gives you right-click dictionary lookups), FlashBlock
(only loads flash content by clicking)

https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/?application=firefox

--
Cape Dweller Dragon

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002

Quoth Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>:
> Samurai <Samurai@his.reply-to.header> wrote:
> >Most importantly, it actually still calls them bookmarks, rather than
> >the horribly Windows-ese 'Favorites'. Bleah.
>
> You spelled something wrong. I fixed it for you. <VEG>

Thanks for reminding me. :p That's the other advantage of a bookmark
-- every flavour of English spells it the same way.

> So you hate that term. Do you use the Folder term over Directory?

Exclusively at work, where the less computer-savvy wouldn't understand
what a directory was. On my own time, folders are for MacOS.
\^\^//

Quoth erimess <erimess>:
> Exactly!! And I have tons and tons of bookmarks, all organized in a
> particular way, or I'd get totally lost. So for me, this is a big
> deal.

Presumably, though, once they're set up in that particular way, you
leave them alone? If that's so, a one-off use of the bookmark manager
shouldn't be too much of a hassle. :)
\^\^//

erimess wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 17:47:23 +0100, Samurai
> <Samurai@his.reply-to.header> wrote:
>
>>Quoth J. P. Morris <jpm@it-he.org>:
>>> This just caught my eye.. I don't understand what you mean.
>>> In the bookmark manager, you just reorder them by dragging them around,
>>> as was done in Netscape.
>>
>>I'm guessing Erimess means you can't just click on the bookmarks as
>>they appear on the menu and drag them, which /can/ be a bit of a pain,
>>but isn't really a major one, for me at least. I don't change my
>>bookmarks often enough to make using the bookmark manager an issue.
>
> Exactly!! And I have tons and tons of bookmarks, all organized in a
> particular way, or I'd get totally lost. So for me, this is a big
> deal.

So organise them. I really don't understand the problem.