Sign in with
Your question

UMPC Showdown: Who Ultimately Cares?

Last response: in Mobile Computing
May 13, 2009 6:42:27 AM

I honestly don't know why anyone would by a UMPC, but here you go: http://jkontherun.com/2009/05/10/viliv-s5-umpc-vs-viliv...
Quote:
I suspect that, ultimately, the reception of the X70 will come down largely to price. The S5 has a good price point for such a capable mobile computer, and if the x70 can come in near the same price I think it will be well-received, too. Let’s hope Viliv can bring this baby in as cheaply as possible.
May 15, 2009 3:52:16 AM

You mean "buy" :p 

Anyways, I think these people see them as oversized PDAs? Seriously, their displays are large enough to make all those mobile tasks much easier to do?
May 19, 2009 11:54:45 PM

Hum...

I have a UX (modified with a core2DUO inside, and a 120gb hdd) which is allways in my pocket... I take pictures, make little videos, surf the web, use a keychain gps when needed, watch 1080P videos, play WoW and eve-online during boring meetings, have full office running faster than on my laptop (dell latitude 531)... and while at home I dock it on a 22 inch screen and use it has a standard deskotp...

So, I can't understand why people would people use desktop computers? Retarded? ;P
Related resources
May 20, 2009 4:33:14 AM

Haha darkerx... it's not clear though which UMPC you're talking about (link please). Also, I've always wondered about interface manipulation on those things... isn't a bit hard with the smaller controls?

Also, if you can post your thoughts on your UMPC as a new topic, that would be great! Give us desktop junkies a little peek. :D 
May 21, 2009 12:04:03 PM

My prefered UMPC is a modified Sony UX280p (as Sony discontinued the product line... I have found a very bright guy who continues the development of the product alone... he installed a core2duo (U7700) and a 120gb hdd in my UX... making it the most powerfull UMPC ever made...).

With this device, I have always a versatile it system with me wherever I go, and when docked, its an average desktop PC able to cover most needs (except high end gaming...). So there is no need to synchronize anything as I have the core of my main computer with me anywhere...

It has:
-U7700@1.33ghz (but can be adjusted from 485mhz to 1450mhz)
-weak 950gma (adjusted 200mhz to 400mhz)
-Touchscreen (if you haven't tried firefox with the grab&drag module and a touchscreen... you can't know what having a clever interface means... :)  you can also try cooliris... or play with crayon physics...etc.)
-trackpoint stuff
-fingerprint reader to avoid entering manualy all your passwords
-sliding screen which reveals a little backlighted keyboard (not a productivity tool, but usable...)
-edge modem, enough for internet/youtube/world of warcraft/eve-online/skype/etc. too weak for webtvs
-3 to 6 hours on battery, depending mostly on cpu workload and radios (wifi/bt2/wwan)
-it can run xp/vista/w7/ubuntu/mac osX
-two cameras
+I have a 3.5gusb modem when I need it, a bt gps, a car charger, usb-dvd/rw, usb 1 to hdd

Then, has I always need to have a real computer with me anywhere, but hate having a suitcase for a laptop... I couldn't live without this device anymore....

(By the way, the guy I was speaking about should soon prepare for me a UX490/core2duo/128GB SSD/XP/vista/MacosX... which should be fun too...)
May 22, 2009 2:39:39 AM

By the way... I also have a desktop pc, intended only for gaming... well I haven't started it for half a year now...(6850@3.8ghz/2gb ram/280gtx deeply oc/Track-ir/g25 steering wheel/Iz3d screen for stereoscopic 3d/etc.)
May 25, 2009 6:58:12 AM

Haha, looks like mobility is more important for you than power... that desktop can literally blow your UMPC out of the water... at the cost of bulkiness of course :p 
December 9, 2009 3:09:59 AM

I also use a desktop for gaming. It is never same on a laptop.
December 9, 2009 4:37:25 AM

Keith5400 said:
I also use a desktop for gaming. It is never same on a laptop.

I agree, you will always have a much better gaming experience on a desktop... but you won't be able to play WoW in an hotel room with it :) 
!