Narcotic but important question (no, I'm not on something,..

What does "expectation" mean to you? Do you live your life like a child
playing a tuba for the first time, playing only one note and finding the
happiness of the bland monotone? Or do you jazz your life fast, swinging
until feeling too tired to shift feet one more time (but still carries on
like there is no tomorrow)? Why does Miller Lite taste like carbonated
water? Why do people make mistakes even they already know what they are
doing is wrong? Do you get hurt by your own false expectation? How did
you deal with it (or corrected it?).

--
Ashikaga a26

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 01:12:35 -0400, Helgraf Dragon
<helgraf@ultima-dragons.org> wrote:

>Fnord.

I think iAshi has been surfing malicious website again. Time to re-image
his drive.

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

About the subject - did you mean "neurotic"?

Ashikaga wrote:

> What does "expectation" mean to you?

Hope for the future, live in the present (in other words, don't let future
plans ruin your current life - chances are those plans will change anyway).

> Do you live your life like a child
> playing a tuba for the first time, playing only one note and finding the
> happiness of the bland monotone?

That's a leading question - assuming that there's something wrong with a
single note. I think it's good when someone can appreciate the simplest
things without making them grand and complicated.

> Or do you jazz your life fast, swinging
> until feeling too tired to shift feet one more time (but still carries on
> like there is no tomorrow)?

I tend to like more cerebral pursuits, but occasionally letting loose is
beneficial. Having children certainly forces you to become more active in
certain ways.

> Why does Miller Lite taste like carbonated water?

Who cares? Just don't drink it!

> Why do people make mistakes even they already know what they are
> doing is wrong?

Why do abused children return home after school? Sometimes fear of the
alternative is greater than that of the present state.

> Do you get hurt by your own false expectation? How did you deal with
> it (or corrected it?).

I tend to maintain limited expectations - after all, if you insist on
altering plans/expectations when new information comes up you'll find that
few of your original plans remain intact - so all that planning was
effectively useless. Sometimes it's better to take things as they come and
everything usually falls into place. Being too steadfast can make you
overlook new possibilities.

--
Cape Dweller Dragon

Eek! Polychromic wrote:
> Helgraf Dragon wrote:
>
>>Fnord.

Fjord?

> I think iAshi has been surfing malicious website again. Time to re-image
> his drive.

I don't think you guys are treating me serioiusly.... I mean, some of you
guys are older, so you'd probably have lived through more highs & lows than
me, so how do you guys deal with expectation?

--
Ashikaga a26

Ashikaga wrote:
> Eek! Polychromic wrote:
>
>>Helgraf Dragon wrote:
>>

>>>Fnord.
>

> Fjord?

No, Fnord.

>>I think iAshi has been surfing malicious website again. Time to re-image
>>his drive.
>

> I don't think you guys are treating me serioiusly.... I mean, some of you
> guys are older, so you'd probably have lived through more highs & lows than
> me, so how do you guys deal with expectation?

The fact is, any answer I might come up with is best only within the
context of my own interpretive awareness grid. I cannot feasably
construct one for you because I have not lived your life, I don't have
your expectations, your experiences, your perception-awarenesses. Any
solution I would offer would be tinted by nature by my own
spectrum-awareness.

Eek! Cape Dweller wrote:
> About the subject - did you mean "neurotic"?

Oh..., thank you very much for calling me a drama queen.... Now, that's
neurotic. :-D No, I mean narcotic, as in someone behaves as if he has
taken some (illegal) substance and speaks nonsensically.

> Ashikaga wrote:
>
>> What does "expectation" mean to you?
>
> Hope for the future, live in the present (in other words, don't let future
> plans ruin your current life - chances are those plans will change anyway).

I knew that! That's one of the things I learned when I did gardening:
appreciate flowers for who they are, not what they'll become.

Just for Hawkie, I think I shall call that zen gardening. ;-)

>> Do you live your life like a child
>> playing a tuba for the first time, playing only one note and finding the
>> happiness of the bland monotone?
>
> That's a leading question - assuming that there's something wrong with a
> single note. I think it's good when someone can appreciate the simplest
> things without making them grand and complicated.
>
>> Or do you jazz your life fast, swinging
>> until feeling too tired to shift feet one more time (but still carries on
>> like there is no tomorrow)?
>
> I tend to like more cerebral pursuits, but occasionally letting loose is
> beneficial. Having children certainly forces you to become more active in
> certain ways.

Those two are elaborations of my first question. I think the first
question itself is too broad and vague..., so I added the two supporting
parts to it, hoping it'll help you guys understand what I was really
asking.

So that being said, I couldn't make a one single unified meaning to the two
answers you gave me above....

>> Why does Miller Lite taste like carbonated water?
>
> Who cares? Just don't drink it!

But is it because I had expectation or imagine what it would be but it
doesn't fit into that expectation? But anyways, isn't that "who cares"
answer essentially an escapism?

>> Why do people make mistakes even they already know what they are
>> doing is wrong?
>
> Why do abused children return home after school? Sometimes fear of the
> alternative is greater than that of the present state.

You know, maybe I expected too much when I asked that question and that's
very egotistic of me that I assume you guys would read my mind when I asked
it. Though that's not what I asked, but now I think of it, it might make
sense. Let's just say I infuriated someone, and it's better that I leave,
but I guess there is no where else I could call it home better, so I just
stay, though it's quite an embarrassment for me to stay.

>> Do you get hurt by your own false expectation? How did you deal with
>> it (or corrected it?).
>
> I tend to maintain limited expectations - after all, if you insist on
> altering plans/expectations when new information comes up you'll find that
> few of your original plans remain intact - so all that planning was
> effectively useless. Sometimes it's better to take things as they come and
> everything usually falls into place. Being too steadfast can make you
> overlook new possibilities.

That's my current mentality actually. I'm essentially a planner by design,
but the more I'm experienced with life, the more I think planning is
useless. If you sum it up, I guess I'm a useless person, being a planner
and all.

Anyways, I guess I meant it in a more specific level when I asked the
question.... Do you guys fall in love and had some expectation that's just
unrealistic? Love is more or less an idealism, and I thought I'm a
realist....

--
Ashikaga a26

Eek! Helgraf Dragon wrote:
> Ashikaga wrote:
>> Eek! Polychromic wrote:

>> Fjord?
>
> No, Fnord.

What's that word?

>>>I think iAshi has been surfing malicious website again. Time to re-image
>>>his drive.
>>
>> I don't think you guys are treating me serioiusly.... I mean, some of you
>> guys are older, so you'd probably have lived through more highs & lows than
>> me, so how do you guys deal with expectation?
>
> The fact is, any answer I might come up with is best only within the
> context of my own interpretive awareness grid. I cannot feasably
> construct one for you because I have not lived your life, I don't have
> your expectations, your experiences, your perception-awarenesses. Any
> solution I would offer would be tinted by nature by my own
> spectrum-awareness.

Of course you can't construct me (or program me, if you have iAshi in
mind). But listen to multiple perspectives could aid one to make better
decisions (in the future).

--
Ashikaga a26

Helgraf Dragon wrote:

> Fnord.

I'VE SEEN THE FNORDS!

--
JP Malik - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 20:08:54 +0100, "J. P. Morris" <jpm@it-he.org> wrote:

>Helgraf Dragon wrote:
>
>> Fnord.
>
>I'VE SEEN THE FNORDS!

Bneautiful snow-cnovered Fnords of Fniland.

--

Eek! Polychromic wrote:
> "J. P. Morris" wrote:
>>Helgraf Dragon wrote:
>>
>>> Fnord.
>>
>>I'VE SEEN THE FNORDS!
>
> Bneautiful snow-cnovered Fnords of Fniland.

You're wnerd.

--
Ashikaga a26

Ashikaga wrote:

> Eek! Helgraf Dragon wrote:
>> Ashikaga wrote:

>>> Fjord?
>>
>> No, Fnord.
>
> What's that word?

It means you need to read the Illuminatus! trilogy by Shea and Wilson.

--

Eek! "J. P. Morris" wrote:
> Ashikaga wrote:
>> Eek! Helgraf Dragon wrote:
<snip>
>>> No, Fnord.
>>
>> What's that word?
>
> It means you need to read the Illuminatus! trilogy by Shea and Wilson.

Oh, come on. Do I need another book on my list so I can just learn ONE
word?

--
Ashikaga a26

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 20:10:35 +0100, "J. P. Morris" <jpm@it-he.org> wrote:

>Ashikaga wrote:
>
>> Eek! Helgraf Dragon wrote:

>>> No, Fnord.
>>
>> What's that word?
>>

>It means you need to read the Illuminatus! trilogy by Shea and Wilson.

Or it means you *ARE* one of the Illuminati!!! OMG!

--

Ashikaga the Forcible Masked Drag Racer of Niceness wrote:
>Eek! Cape Dweller wrote:
>> About the subject - did you mean "neurotic"?
>Oh..., thank you very much for calling me a drama queen.... Now, that's
>neurotic. :-D No, I mean narcotic, as in someone behaves as if he has
>taken some (illegal) substance and speaks nonsensically.

As the term narcoleptic suggests narcos is actually associated with
sleep. So I don't find your questions very narcotic.
--
d e+ N- T- Om++ UK!1!2!3!4!56A78!9 u uC uF- uG+ uLB+ uA nC nR nH+ nP
nI+ nPT nS+ nT- y- a25, Captain in the Cinnaguard, Weirdo, Blue Bow

Ashikaga the Forcible Masked Drag Racer of Niceness wrote:
>What does "expectation" mean to you?

A belief that a certain event or patterns of event will occur in the
future (or that certain events or patterns of events will turn out to
have happened in the past or present).

>Do you live your life like a child
>playing a tuba for the first time, playing only one note and finding the
>happiness of the bland monotone? Or do you jazz your life fast, swinging
>until feeling too tired to shift feet one more time (but still carries on
>like there is no tomorrow)?

Hmm, my life is more a combination of the two, a certain amount of
monotony combined with a thirst to experiments with new things and
learn new things.

> Why does Miller Lite taste like carbonated water?

Perhaps because it largely consists of carbonated water?

>Why do people make mistakes even they already know what they are
>doing is wrong?

I would suggest in some cases because the thngs that caused their
mistake to be made have not changed. I sometimes have somewhere to be
in a short time but say I am on the internet and say I check rgcud and
decide to respond to something even though I know on some level that
this has lead me to be late in the past. However, my belief that I can
be brief this time (which I had every other time, the evidence of past
experience has not been enough to extinguish it yet) combined with my
desire to post is as strong as ever. Until these emotional and
intellectual factors shift signficantly I will react to similiar
stimulus in a smiliar way.

>Do you get hurt by your own false expectation? How did
>you deal with it (or corrected it?).

Other than occassionally being late or the like I do not think false
expectations have hurt me much. I am not sure how I would deal with
any real problems that might arise. Actually false expectations can be
a benefit. If I think a movie is going to be really bad but it turns
out merely to be average I enjoy it more, but perhaps not good in any
profound sense.

I would point out that expectations are necessary to make any kind of
decision. Necessarily some of those expectations will be false because
our knowledge of the future is inherently falliable. However not to
make any decisions involving the future at all seems to me more likely
to end in disaster than occassionally making decisions on the basis of
false expectations.

I would say that one principle that has always seemed worthwhile to me
is to as far as possible when doing something for some future end make
the means by which it is accomplished worthwile as well. For example,
if you want to exercise for your health you should find a form of
exercise you enjoy doing and pursue that. Then even if you do not
achieve the far off goal at least the journey will have been
worthwhile.
--
d e+ N- T- Om++ UK!1!2!3!4!56A78!9 u uC uF- uG+ uLB+ uA nC nR nH+ nP
nI+ nPT nS+ nT- y- a25, Captain in the Cinnaguard, Weirdo, Blue Bow
[B><B], Website: http://individual.utoronto.ca/fofound
-----------
Yours Truly Saint George's Dragon
Allan Olley -==UDIC==-
-----------
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one
progress depends on the unreasonable man." George Bernard Shaw

Ashikaga wrote:

> Eek! "J. P. Morris" wrote:
>> Ashikaga wrote:
>>> Eek! Helgraf Dragon wrote:
> <snip>
>>>
>>> What's that word?
>>
>> It means you need to read the Illuminatus! trilogy by Shea and Wilson.
>
> Oh, come on. Do I need another book on my list so I can just learn ONE
> word?

Yes.

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org

"Ashikaga" <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> What does "expectation" mean to you? Do you live your life like a child
> playing a tuba for the first time, playing only one note and finding the
> happiness of the bland monotone? Or do you jazz your life fast, swinging
> until feeling too tired to shift feet one more time (but still carries on
> like there is no tomorrow)?

For the most part my life is pretty quiet I guess and that suits me fine. I
love getting away from time to time but I don't think I have either energy
or enthusiasm to last in a manic fast-paced lifestyle for very long.

> Why do people make mistakes even they already know what they are
> doing is wrong?

Perhaps because they don't truly think of the consequences. Or hope that
those consequences won't happen to them.

Do you get hurt by your own false expectation? How did
> you deal with it (or corrected it?).

I generally try not to have much expectations, which is often a hard thing
to achieve even when your reason tells you not to put too much hope into
something. All I can do is try and be aware of the reality, and ignore that
voice at the back of your head that tells you to buy lottery tickets
because -this time- it's sure to be a winner.

- GSD

Eek! Great Siberian Dragon wrote:
> "Ashikaga" wrote...
>> What does "expectation" mean to you? Do you live your life like a child
>> playing a tuba for the first time, playing only one note and finding the
>> happiness of the bland monotone? Or do you jazz your life fast, swinging
>> until feeling too tired to shift feet one more time (but still carries on
>> like there is no tomorrow)?
>
> For the most part my life is pretty quiet I guess and that suits me fine. I
> love getting away from time to time but I don't think I have either energy
> or enthusiasm to last in a manic fast-paced lifestyle for very long.

For the same token, I love living in where I'm now, because it's peace and
quiet.

>> Why do people make mistakes even they already know what they are
>> doing is wrong?
>
> Perhaps because they don't truly think of the consequences. Or hope that
> those consequences won't happen to them.

Wouldn't that be irresponsible and childish? I guess I'm speaking about
myself in third person again.... But it's nice to self-criticize in an
objective manner, I think.... Thanks for the advice, btw. :)

>> Do you get hurt by your own false expectation? How did
>> you deal with it (or corrected it?).
>
> I generally try not to have much expectations, which is often a hard thing
> to achieve even when your reason tells you not to put too much hope into
> something. All I can do is try and be aware of the reality, and ignore that
> voice at the back of your head that tells you to buy lottery tickets
> because -this time- it's sure to be a winner.

I think I'm doing the same thing, but like you said, it's a very hard thing
to do. Well, at least I don't buy lottery because I knew it'll just be
another disappointment.

--
Ashikaga a26

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 18:18:56 GMT, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Do you get hurt by your own false expectation?

No. I'm too wise/old for that. At this late date, I'm an optipessimist -
I expect the worst and hope for the best.

>How did you deal with it (or corrected it?).

Back when I was a naive kid, when my expectations were dashed, I learned
from my mistakes and grew wiser until I became the grizzled old fossil you
see today.

--

Eek! Polychromic wrote:
> Ashikaga wrote:
>
>>Do you get hurt by your own false expectation?
>
> No. I'm too wise/old for that. At this late date, I'm an optipessimist -
> I expect the worst and hope for the best.

Me too.... But sometimes I don't know why I make mistakes I knew to be so
obviously wrong.

>>How did you deal with it (or corrected it?).
>
> Back when I was a naive kid, when my expectations were dashed, I learned
> from my mistakes and grew wiser until I became the grizzled old fossil you
> see today.

..... Yes, we all know you are an old fossil. (*runs for his life*)

But I still don't know how to correct my own problem. Sometimes the
feeling is strong that I'm just compelled to make the same mistake again,
thinking this time it would be different....

--
Ashikaga a26

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002

Quoth Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>:
> On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 20:10:35 +0100, "J. P. Morris" <jpm@it-he.org> wrote:
> >It means you need to read the Illuminatus! trilogy by Shea and Wilson.
>
> Or it means you *ARE* one of the Illuminati!!! OMG!

Not that they exist, of course. Because There Is No Conspiracy.
\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\\/////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 00:10:29 +0100, Samurai
<Samurai@his.reply-to.header> wrote:

>Quoth Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>:
>> On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 20:10:35 +0100, "J. P. Morris" <jpm@it-he.org> wrote:
>> >It means you need to read the Illuminatus! trilogy by Shea and Wilson.
>>
>> Or it means you *ARE* one of the Illuminati!!! OMG!
>
>Not that they exist, of course. Because There Is No Conspiracy.
<Bursts through door>
No One expects the Illuminati Inquisition!!!
-=UDIC=-
Optician Dragon
"Life Is Like A Can Of Tuna Fish - Sometimes It's Good, Sometimes It's Not So Good"
-Alfred E. Neumann

Ashikaga wrote:

> Oh..., thank you very much for calling me a drama queen.... Now, that's
> neurotic. :-D No, I mean narcotic, as in someone behaves as if he has
> taken some (illegal) substance and speaks nonsensically.

Did you know that nitrogen, which composes around 80% of our atmosphere,
is a narcotic at enough pressure? (around 50 psi actually)

Another interesting tidbit: oxygen is toxic at high pressure.

> So that being said, I couldn't make a one single unified meaning to the
> two answers you gave me above....

Yeah, the kids have colds and aren't exactly helping me make sense with
their miserableness :)

>>> Why does Miller Lite taste like carbonated water?
>>
>> Who cares? Just don't drink it!
>
> But is it because I had expectation or imagine what it would be but it
> doesn't fit into that expectation?

I'm not sure what you mean - so it might not actually taste like
carbonated water but since your expectation was wrong that's how you
perceive it?

> But anyways, isn't that "who cares" answer essentially an escapism?

I think it's a reasonable reaction to the situation.

> Let's just say I infuriated someone, and it's better that I
> leave, but I guess there is no where else I could call it home better, so
> I just stay, though it's quite an embarrassment for me to stay.

That's the situation we were in a little over a year ago, when we were
staying with my parents and their dog bit Siobhana. We really needed to
get out of there but I was still working on finding a decent place to live
and a job and such so we stayed (not too much longer mind you).

> That's my current mentality actually. I'm essentially a planner by
> design, but the more I'm experienced with life, the more I think planning
> is useless. If you sum it up, I guess I'm a useless person, being a
> planner and all.

I think you just have to learn to make flexible plans.

> Anyways, I guess I meant it in a more specific level when I asked the
> question.... Do you guys fall in love and had some expectation that's
> just unrealistic? Love is more or less an idealism, and I thought I'm a
> realist....

A realist who realises that love in an idealism won't have unrealistic
expectations :)

--
Cape Dweller Dragon

Eek! Saint George's Dragon wrote:
> Ashikaga the Forcible Masked Drag Racer of Niceness wrote:
>>What does "expectation" mean to you?
>
> A belief that a certain event or patterns of event will occur in the
> future (or that certain events or patterns of events will turn out to
> have happened in the past or present).

Rather definitional, as I would expect from you. :)

<snip>
>>Why do people make mistakes even they already know what they are
>>doing is wrong?
>
> I would suggest in some cases because the thngs that caused their
> mistake to be made have not changed. I sometimes have somewhere to be
> in a short time but say I am on the internet and say I check rgcud and
> decide to respond to something even though I know on some level that
> this has lead me to be late in the past. However, my belief that I can
> be brief this time (which I had every other time, the evidence of past
> experience has not been enough to extinguish it yet) combined with my
> desire to post is as strong as ever. Until these emotional and
> intellectual factors shift signficantly I will react to similiar
> stimulus in a smiliar way.

Yet another very technical/scientific explanation. I have this strong urge
to call your iGeorgie, if you don't mind. :) Anyways, were you late
because of this post?

>>Do you get hurt by your own false expectation? How did
>>you deal with it (or corrected it?).
>
> Other than occassionally being late or the like I do not think false
> expectations have hurt me much. I am not sure how I would deal with
> any real problems that might arise. Actually false expectations can be
> a benefit. If I think a movie is going to be really bad but it turns
> out merely to be average I enjoy it more, but perhaps not good in any
> profound sense.

Well..., yeah. Such thing indeed happened to me. Like when I said I
actually enjoyed Breakfast at Tiffany's rather well because I didn't expect
much from it, but it surprised me. But I guess I'm rather pessimistic
about lots of things. Most pessimists I know tell me they don't want to
expect much because it'll just be disappointments.

> I would point out that expectations are necessary to make any kind of
> decision. Necessarily some of those expectations will be false because
> our knowledge of the future is inherently falliable. However not to
> make any decisions involving the future at all seems to me more likely
> to end in disaster than occassionally making decisions on the basis of
> false expectations.
>
> I would say that one principle that has always seemed worthwhile to me
> is to as far as possible when doing something for some future end make
> the means by which it is accomplished worthwile as well. For example,
> if you want to exercise for your health you should find a form of
> exercise you enjoy doing and pursue that. Then even if you do not
> achieve the far off goal at least the journey will have been
> worthwhile.

That's not too different from an Ashiism: Aim for 100 but settle for 90.

--
Ashikaga a26