My computer is really slow

I have a fast computer but today I noticed an extremely painful slowdown.
Programs that usually open up on the click of them now take about 5 seconds
to open. Everything takes long to use such as scrolling down in the internet
window. I even had trouble getting to these newsgroups. Also, when I try to
refresh the desktop it takes about 3 seconds to do! What's going on?

Mr. B

Malke

Mr. B wrote:

> I have a fast computer but today I noticed an extremely painful
> slowdown. Programs that usually open up on the click of them now take
> about 5 seconds to open. Everything takes long to use such as
> scrolling down in the internet window. I even had trouble getting to
> these newsgroups. Also, when I try to refresh the desktop it takes
> about 3 seconds to do! What's going on?
>
> Mr. B

You didn't give us any details about your computer, so I can't give you
specific advice. Here are some things to check:

1. Is the computer 100% virus and malware-free? If you think so, what
did you do to determine that?

2. Is the computer old? What are the hardware specs?

3. Check to make sure your hard drive is using the proper data transfer
mode. It should be DMA. To do this, go to Device Manager (System applet
in Control Panel>Hardware tab>Device Manager). Expand the entry for
IDE/ATAPI Controllers (I'm assuming IDE - if SATA I expect you'll have
an entry for it). Double-click the primary IDE channel to get its
Properties. Look on the Advanced tab to see the current transfer mode.

Post back with details and results for more focused troubleshooting.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

In news:DB95BA1A-F4A4-4B33-A361-136E5024D62E@microsoft.com,
Mr. B <MrB@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I have a fast computer but today I noticed an extremely painful
> slowdown. Programs that usually open up on the click of them
> now take
> about 5 seconds to open. Everything takes long to use such as
> scrolling down in the internet window. I even had trouble
> getting to
> these newsgroups. Also, when I try to refresh the desktop it
> takes
> about 3 seconds to do! What's going on?

Please understand that nobody can do anything but give you a wild
guess, based on how little information you've provided. What is
your hardware configuration? What applications do you run? What
firewall, anti-virus, and anti-spyware programs do you run (and
what versions) and how long has it been since you've updated
them? What programs do you have starting automatically when you
boot? What have you done (installed, changed, etc.) since
yesterday?

Give us answers to questions like these, and anything else you
can think of that may be pertinent) and perhaps someone can help
you. Otherwise nobody can do more than guess.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Mr. B;
Start here:

Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org

Mr. B wrote:
> I have a fast computer but today I noticed an extremely painful
> slowdown. Programs that usually open up on the click of them now take
> about 5 seconds to open. Everything takes long to use such as
> scrolling down in the internet window. I even had trouble getting to
> these newsgroups. Also, when I try to refresh the desktop it takes
> about 3 seconds to do! What's going on?
>
> Mr. B

Dunno. What does Task Manager say is taking up the CPU cycles?

"Mr. B" wrote:
> I have a fast computer but today I noticed an extremely
> painful slowdown.
> Programs that usually open up on the click of them now take
> about 5 seconds
> to open. Everything takes long to use such as scrolling down
> in the internet
> window. I even had trouble getting to these newsgroups. Also,
> when I try to
> refresh the desktop it takes about 3 seconds to do! What's
> going on?
>
> Mr. B

hello your probleme is maybe you have too much spyware and if you do a
disk defragmented it maybe helping your computer to be more faster and
do a disk cleanup and maybe you gots virus

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-computer-slow-ftopict544977.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1720590

Mr. B wrote:
> I have a fast computer but today I noticed an extremely painful slowdown.
> Programs that usually open up on the click of them now take about 5 seconds
> to open. Everything takes long to use such as scrolling down in the internet
> window. I even had trouble getting to these newsgroups. Also, when I try to
> refresh the desktop it takes about 3 seconds to do! What's going on?
>
> Mr. B

Your PC is maturing... and it needs service!

Mr C

When I go to my laptop, running WinXP Pro, and select 'Start' 'Programs'
then right click on any listed folder or shortcut there, I get a quick
'flash' of something. Too quick to read anything...but no normal right click
menu! I use this to re-sort the folders/programs on all of my other
machines, but it won't even bring up the menu on the Laptop. I did a clean
install, from the HP disks, and everything went well, everything else works
fine. Any ideas?

John
HP Pavilion ZE5500, WinXP Pro

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

John C. Iliff wrote:

> When I go to my laptop, running WinXP Pro, and select 'Start' 'Programs'
> then right click on any listed folder or shortcut there, I get a quick
> 'flash' of something. Too quick to read anything...but no normal right click
> menu! I use this to re-sort the folders/programs on all of my other
> machines, but it won't even bring up the menu on the Laptop. I did a clean
> install, from the HP disks, and everything went well, everything else works
> fine. Any ideas?
>
> John
> HP Pavilion ZE5500, WinXP Pro

Right click the Start button, Properties, Start Menu tab, customize,
Advanced tab. Put a tic mark in Enable dragging and dropping. Ok out.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

"Megadeth911" wrote:
>hello your probleme is maybe you have too much spyware and if you do
>disk defragmented it maybe helping your computer to be more faster
and
>do a disk cleanup and maybe you gots virus

I agree, have seen this kind of a problem on a friends comp,
defragging helped a lot.