'Start' 'Programs' not working correctly...help

When I go to my laptop, running WinXP Pro, and select 'Start' 'Programs'
then right click on any listed folder or shortcut there, I get a quick
'flash' of something. Too quick to read anything...but no normal right click
menu! I use this to re-sort the folders/programs on all of my other
machines, but it won't even bring up the menu on the Laptop. I did a clean
install, from the HP disks, and everything went well, everything else works
fine. Any ideas?

John
HP Pavilion ZE5500, WinXP Pro
8 answers Last reply
More about start programs working correctly help

    John,

    You need to enable the "Enable Dragging and Dropping" Option in your start
    menu properties. Follow these steps:

    Classic Start Menu:
    Right-click Taskbar, Properties, click Start Menu tab, choose Customize
    Enable the option "Enable Dragging and Dropping."

    For New Start Menu:
    Right-click Taskbar, Properties, click Start Menu tab, choose Customize
    Click "Advanced" tab and enable the option "Enable Dragging and Dropping."

    --
    Ramesh Srinivasan
    MS-MVP, Windows Shell

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com

    "John C. Iliff" <joniliff@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > When I go to my laptop, running WinXP Pro, and select 'Start' 'Programs'
    > then right click on any listed folder or shortcut there, I get a quick
    > 'flash' of something. Too quick to read anything...but no normal right
    > click menu! I use this to re-sort the folders/programs on all of my other
    > machines, but it won't even bring up the menu on the Laptop. I did a clean
    > install, from the HP disks, and everything went well, everything else
    > works fine. Any ideas?
    >
    > John
    > HP Pavilion ZE5500, WinXP Pro

    Thank you...that solved it!

    John
    > John,
    >
    > You need to enable the "Enable Dragging and Dropping" Option in your start
    > menu properties. Follow these steps:
    >
    > Classic Start Menu:
    > Right-click Taskbar, Properties, click Start Menu tab, choose Customize
    > Enable the option "Enable Dragging and Dropping."
    >
    > For New Start Menu:
    > Right-click Taskbar, Properties, click Start Menu tab, choose Customize
    > Click "Advanced" tab and enable the option "Enable Dragging and Dropping."
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh Srinivasan
    > MS-MVP, Windows Shell
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    >
    > Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >
    > "John C. Iliff" <joniliff@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >> When I go to my laptop, running WinXP Pro, and select 'Start' 'Programs'
    >> then right click on any listed folder or shortcut there, I get a quick
    >> 'flash' of something. Too quick to read anything...but no normal right
    >> click menu! I use this to re-sort the folders/programs on all of my other
    >> machines, but it won't even bring up the menu on the Laptop. I did a
    >> clean install, from the HP disks, and everything went well, everything
    >> else works fine. Any ideas?
    >>
    >> John
    >> HP Pavilion ZE5500, WinXP Pro

    You're welcome.

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > John,
    >
    > You need to enable the "Enable Dragging and Dropping" Option in your start
    > menu properties. Follow these steps:
    >
    > Classic Start Menu:
    > Right-click Taskbar, Properties, click Start Menu tab, choose Customize
    > Enable the option "Enable Dragging and Dropping."
    >
    > For New Start Menu:
    > Right-click Taskbar, Properties, click Start Menu tab, choose Customize
    > Click "Advanced" tab and enable the option "Enable Dragging and Dropping."
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh Srinivasan
    > MS-MVP, Windows Shell
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    >
    > Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >
    > "John C. Iliff" <joniliff@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > When I go to my laptop, running WinXP Pro, and select 'Start' 'Programs'
    > > then right click on any listed folder or shortcut there, I get a quick
    > > 'flash' of something. Too quick to read anything...but no normal right
    > > click menu! I use this to re-sort the folders/programs on all of my other
    > > machines, but it won't even bring up the menu on the Laptop. I did a clean
    > > install, from the HP disks, and everything went well, everything else
    > > works fine. Any ideas?
    > >
    > > John
    > > HP Pavilion ZE5500, WinXP Pro

    Ramesh,

    Using WindowsXP SP2, right click on any entry in the "All Programs" list
    results in a flash and no menu. I am unable to click and drag to move new
    enteries from the bottom of the list. I followed these instructions but
    there is no choice to "Enable Dragging and Dropping" in the Start menu
    properties.

    Is there a repair for this?

    Art

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > John,
    >
    > You need to enable the "Enable Dragging and Dropping" Option in your start
    > menu properties. Follow these steps:
    >
    > Classic Start Menu:
    > Right-click Taskbar, Properties, click Start Menu tab, choose Customize
    > Enable the option "Enable Dragging and Dropping."
    >
    > For New Start Menu:
    > Right-click Taskbar, Properties, click Start Menu tab, choose Customize
    > Click "Advanced" tab and enable the option "Enable Dragging and Dropping."
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh Srinivasan
    > MS-MVP, Windows Shell
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    >
    > Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >
    > "John C. Iliff" <joniliff@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > When I go to my laptop, running WinXP Pro, and select 'Start' 'Programs'
    > > then right click on any listed folder or shortcut there, I get a quick
    > > 'flash' of something. Too quick to read anything...but no normal right
    > > click menu! I use this to re-sort the folders/programs on all of my other
    > > machines, but it won't even bring up the menu on the Laptop. I did a clean
    > > install, from the HP disks, and everything went well, everything else
    > > works fine. Any ideas?
    > >
    > > John
    > > HP Pavilion ZE5500, WinXP Pro

    Art,

    If the "Enable Dragging and Dropping" is unavailable, it's due to
    NoChangeStartMenu Policy setting.
    See : http://windowsxp.mvps.org/smrightclick.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Art B" <Art B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Ramesh,
    >
    > Using WindowsXP SP2, right click on any entry in the "All Programs" list
    > results in a flash and no menu. I am unable to click and drag to move new
    > enteries from the bottom of the list. I followed these instructions but
    > there is no choice to "Enable Dragging and Dropping" in the Start menu
    > properties.
    >
    > Is there a repair for this?
    >
    > Art
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> John,
    >>
    >> You need to enable the "Enable Dragging and Dropping" Option in your
    >> start
    >> menu properties. Follow these steps:
    >>
    >> Classic Start Menu:
    >> Right-click Taskbar, Properties, click Start Menu tab, choose Customize
    >> Enable the option "Enable Dragging and Dropping."
    >>
    >> For New Start Menu:
    >> Right-click Taskbar, Properties, click Start Menu tab, choose Customize
    >> Click "Advanced" tab and enable the option "Enable Dragging and
    >> Dropping."
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh Srinivasan
    >> MS-MVP, Windows Shell
    >>
    >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >>
    >> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >>
    >> "John C. Iliff" <joniliff@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >> > When I go to my laptop, running WinXP Pro, and select 'Start'
    >> > 'Programs'
    >> > then right click on any listed folder or shortcut there, I get a quick
    >> > 'flash' of something. Too quick to read anything...but no normal right
    >> > click menu! I use this to re-sort the folders/programs on all of my
    >> > other
    >> > machines, but it won't even bring up the menu on the Laptop. I did a
    >> > clean
    >> > install, from the HP disks, and everything went well, everything else
    >> > works fine. Any ideas?
    >> >
    >> > John
    >> > HP Pavilion ZE5500, WinXP Pro

    Ramesh,

    You are correct and this has resolved the problem. I sincerely appreciate
    the effort you have made on my behalf.

    Art

    You're welcome Art.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Art Beck" <icanoe2@munge.earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Ramesh,
    >
    > You are correct and this has resolved the problem. I sincerely appreciate
    > the effort you have made on my behalf.
    >
    > Art
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Art,
    >
    > If the "Enable Dragging and Dropping" is unavailable, it's due to
    > NoChangeStartMenu Policy setting.
    > See : http://windowsxp.mvps.org/smrightclick.htm
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP