Sign in with
Your question

M-Audio Revo NOT a good gaming card?

Last response: in Components
January 3, 2004 9:36:35 AM

I'm still looking up info for my next soundcard purchase and I came across this review

http://www.techconnect.ws/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=...

that states that while the Revo is great for music, its NOT the card for a gamer. It states that this is in part due to its lack of "DirectSound3D hardware acceleration".

I have no idea what this means for games to be honest... But everything I've read states that the Audigy2 is inferior for music sound but better for games so I'm really unsure on if I should get the Audigy2 ZS or the Revo.... Hard when you want music and games. :/ 
January 3, 2004 2:45:59 PM

Personally i don't think Audigy2zs sound worse for music only, a tiny little bit, beucase revo is using their Pro recording soundcard's convertor, however lack of real hardware accelration for game audio drive, which will task you CPU's power and slow down the fram rate from 2~10FPS depens on games.
and the 3D positioning isn't as good as audigy2

get audigy2
you will notice a huge improvement if you had only use Mobo's onboard soundcard.

ASUS A7N8X, xp3200+ (217x10.5, 2.65v), 2xKINGSTON HYPERX PC3500 512MB(217mhz, at 2 3 3 7, 2.6v) segate 120g 8mb ATA100 segate 80g 2mb ATA100, Creamware pulsar2, ATI9800pro 128mb, audigy2zs
January 3, 2004 3:55:06 PM

Hah! I have the original SB Live. :) 
Related resources
January 3, 2004 11:19:48 PM

That would depend on what his board had. The nForce APU is top notch, bypassing analog conversion of Codecs by using the digital out, he might like the onboard BETTER than an Audigy2.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
January 4, 2004 4:51:19 AM

I love my nforce2 audio. There's no way I'd pay money to not use it.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.
!