Stereo & home theater

Last response: in Home Audio
March 13, 2005 8:05:30 PM

I am quite new at audio, but presently I have a Sansui RX711 integrated
amp fixed to a pair of Infinity Renaissance 80 speakers. I have a Denon
CD player which I quite like the effect & the sound.

However, recently I picked up a pair of Paradigm Monitor 9 speakers
going cheap. With a view of doing a home theatre in future, I want to
check up on a couple of things.

1. I would change my stereo set up to have the Sansui amp connected to
the Paradigm speakers. This is simple.

2. If I were to buy a new AV receiver, I would like to connect the
Paradigm speakers & the 2 Infinity speakers, plus a center speaker (to
be bought) to an already idle AR powered subwoofer to the AV receiver.
The visual would be supplied by my Grundig digital 29 inch TV.

Is the above ideal? Would there be any sound muddying or loss of signal
as a result of Paradigm speakers being connected simultaneously to an
amp & an AV receiver?

--
indiancurry

More about : stereo home theater

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 6:25:41 AM

On 13 Mar 2005 17:05:30 GMT, indiancurry
<indiancurry.1lu6pm@audiobanter.com> wrote:

>I am quite new at audio, but presently I have a Sansui RX711 integrated
>amp fixed to a pair of Infinity Renaissance 80 speakers. I have a Denon
>CD player which I quite like the effect & the sound.
>
>However, recently I picked up a pair of Paradigm Monitor 9 speakers
>going cheap. With a view of doing a home theatre in future, I want to
>check up on a couple of things.
>
>1. I would change my stereo set up to have the Sansui amp connected to
>the Paradigm speakers. This is simple.
>
>2. If I were to buy a new AV receiver, I would like to connect the
>Paradigm speakers & the 2 Infinity speakers, plus a center speaker (to
>be bought) to an already idle AR powered subwoofer to the AV receiver.
>The visual would be supplied by my Grundig digital 29 inch TV.
>
>Is the above ideal? Would there be any sound muddying or loss of signal
>as a result of Paradigm speakers being connected simultaneously to an
>amp & an AV receiver?

Yes. Don't do it. First, you must make sure than only one amp is ever
powered at a time. Second, you take the chance that, even unpowered,
the second amp will shunt power from the active one. Get a speaker
switch.

Kal
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 3:54:38 AM

indiancurry wrote:
> I am quite new at audio, but presently I have a Sansui RX711
integrated
> amp fixed to a pair of Infinity Renaissance 80 speakers. I have a
Denon
> CD player which I quite like the effect & the sound.
>
> However, recently I picked up a pair of Paradigm Monitor 9 speakers
> going cheap. With a view of doing a home theatre in future, I want to
> check up on a couple of things.
>
> 1. I would change my stereo set up to have the Sansui amp connected
> the Paradigm speakers. This is simple.
>
> 2. If I were to buy a new AV receiver, I would like to connect the
> Paradigm speakers & the 2 Infinity speakers, plus a center speaker
> be bought) to an already idle AR powered subwoofer to the AV
receiver.
> The visual would be supplied by my Grundig digital 29 inch TV.
>
> Is the above ideal? Would there be any sound muddying or loss of
signal
> as a result of Paradigm speakers being connected simultaneously to an
> amp & an AV receiver?

I would try using the pre-outs for the L/R front channels to the
Sansui, and use it as a separate 'power amp'. I do something similat
with my Naim, pre-power setup, whereby the fronts are always powered by
the Naims, regardless if i'm listening to purely Audio, or Home Cinema.
This sounds facbulous to me

Doc
March 15, 2005 3:57:26 AM

>Yes. Don't do it. First, you must make sure than only one amp is ever
>powered at a time. Second, you take the chance that, even unpowered,
>the second amp will shunt power from the active one. Get a speaker
>switch.
>
>Kal

I am in Kuwait presently & do not quite know what brands of speaker
switches are good to buy. Do you know of any?

--
indiancurry
Anonymous

On 15 Mar 2005 00:57:26 GMT, indiancurry
<indiancurry.1lw1do@audiobanter.com> wrote:

>>Yes. Don't do it. First, you must make sure than only one amp is ever
>>powered at a time. Second, you take the chance that, even unpowered,
>>the second amp will shunt power from the active one. Get a speaker
>>switch.
>>
>>Kal
>
>I am in Kuwait presently & do not quite know what brands of speaker
>switches are good to buy. Do you know of any?

Dunno. In the US, you could go to any RadioShack and get one.
Perhaps, if you have no local equivalents, you might try the
RadioShack website.

Get a regular stereo speaker switch and wire it backwards so that one
set of speakers can be switched between two amps.

Kal
!