USB external HDD rack

Edvardas

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2002
I have seen those boxes in which you insert simple 3.5 inch INternal HDD's and connect them to your PC over USB. Do data recovery software works with those drives?

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Short answer Norton Ghost claims to work with some USB enclosures, I haven't been able to get it work with mine.

Acronis True image does a backup while windows is running so it will work with any external device when backing up.

Restoring your system with Acronis would require access to the enclosure outside of Windows. I have no idea whether it supports all/noe/most/some/ external devices.

Here is a trick

I bought a 5 1/4 USB 2.0 enclosure ($35) then mounted a removeable 5 1/4 hard drive bay into that ($12 each).

I have compatible removeable bays in all my computers and so do a few of my friends. Of course you have to shutdown before removing a HD form a PC, but you can move the drives from system to system without a screwdriver, and you can access the drive via USB without restarting.

Wish I knew more.

If anyone has managed to get their USB enclosure recognized by Ghost or True Image please let me know.