How to stop folder C:Program FilesCommon opening on startup

June 11, 2005 8:34:02 PM

Using XP Pro fully up to date

Recently, and only on initial startup the following folder opens:
C:\Program Files\Common

I did check to make sure that all references in the Registry
.......\CurrentVersion\Run have " " if there are any spaces.

Also, I did not recently install "Print Directory" (which caused this issue
before"

Any thoughts how to stop this folder from opening?

Dennis
June 11, 2005 9:18:02 PM

Found the problem!

Forgot to check both entries in RegEdit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Mi­crosoft\Windows\CurrentVersion­\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mic­rosoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\­Run

BTW this issue occured two years ago on both of my computers:

Common event: Norton Systemworks install or upgrade
Problem: unwanted folders opening on Startup
Solution: Making sure that all entries with spaces in the above \Run notations
are encapsulated with quotes i.e.

(was) C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CfgWiz.exe /GUID
{DA9935BA-22F7-44ee-BD12-BD8B87700BEA}

(now) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CfgWiz.exe" /GUID
{DA9935BA-22F7-44ee-BD12-BD8B87700BEA}

Thanks for any time anyone spent helping me!!

Dennis

"Dennis" wrote:

> Using XP Pro fully up to date
>
> Recently, and only on initial startup the following folder opens:
> C:\Program Files\Common
>
> I did check to make sure that all references in the Registry
> ......\CurrentVersion\Run have " " if there are any spaces.
>
> Also, I did not recently install "Print Directory" (which caused this issue
> before"
>
> Any thoughts how to stop this folder from opening?
>
> Dennis

Anonymous
June 12, 2005 2:28:20 PM

You only mention one small area of the Startup.

Check in Msconfig for any oddities.
(Start-Run-MSCONFIG-Startup tab)
If you cannot see anything in Msconfig then:

Start-Run-msinfo32
Click the + beside Software Environment to expand.
Click Startup Programs
Ctrl+A to Select All, Ctrl+C to Copy.
Paste that information in your message.

....Alan