How to stop folder C:Program FilesCommon opening on startup

Using XP Pro fully up to date

Recently, and only on initial startup the following folder opens:
C:\Program Files\Common

I did check to make sure that all references in the Registry
.......\CurrentVersion\Run have " " if there are any spaces.

Also, I did not recently install "Print Directory" (which caused this issue
before"

Any thoughts how to stop this folder from opening?

Dennis
2 answers Last reply
More about stop folder program filescommon opening startup

    Found the problem!

    Forgot to check both entries in RegEdit:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Mi­crosoft\Windows\CurrentVersion­\Run
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mic­rosoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\­Run

    BTW this issue occured two years ago on both of my computers:

    Common event: Norton Systemworks install or upgrade
    Problem: unwanted folders opening on Startup
    Solution: Making sure that all entries with spaces in the above \Run notations
    are encapsulated with quotes i.e.

    (was) C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CfgWiz.exe /GUID
    {DA9935BA-22F7-44ee-BD12-BD8B87700BEA}

    (now) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CfgWiz.exe" /GUID
    {DA9935BA-22F7-44ee-BD12-BD8B87700BEA}

    Thanks for any time anyone spent helping me!!

    Dennis

    "Dennis" wrote:

    > Using XP Pro fully up to date
    >
    > Recently, and only on initial startup the following folder opens:
    > C:\Program Files\Common
    >
    > I did check to make sure that all references in the Registry
    > ......\CurrentVersion\Run have " " if there are any spaces.
    >
    > Also, I did not recently install "Print Directory" (which caused this issue
    > before"
    >
    > Any thoughts how to stop this folder from opening?
    >
    > Dennis

    You only mention one small area of the Startup.

    Check in Msconfig for any oddities.
    (Start-Run-MSCONFIG-Startup tab)
    If you cannot see anything in Msconfig then:

    Start-Run-msinfo32
    Click the + beside Software Environment to expand.
    Click Startup Programs
    Ctrl+A to Select All, Ctrl+C to Copy.
    Paste that information in your message.

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Dennis
    <Dennis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Using XP Pro fully up to date
    >
    >Recently, and only on initial startup the following folder opens:
    > C:\Program Files\Common
    >
    >I did check to make sure that all references in the Registry
    >......\CurrentVersion\Run have " " if there are any spaces.
    >
    >Also, I did not recently install "Print Directory" (which caused this issue
    >before"
    >
    >Any thoughts how to stop this folder from opening?
    >
    >Dennis

Microsoft Windows XP