Sign in with
Your question

Raid 0 Question for XP

Last response: in Storage
January 3, 2004 2:04:26 PM

I have decided to run my system in raid mode as everyone I talk to says it is infinately better. My primary use for the system will be Gameing. I just read the Raid FAQ in this thread and wanted to ask a few questions as I know you guys know alot more about this then I do. So if you would be so kind as to answer my questions I would greatly appreciate it.
System:
P4 2.8ghz 800mhz
Asus P4C800 Deluxe
1gb Kingston DDR 433 Ram
128MB ATI 9700 Pro
2 200MB WD 7200RPG Hard Drives.
DVD+-RW drive
DVD Rom Drive
Floppy
etc...

1. According to my motherboad information I have Promise Multi-Raid for ATA 133, thus I CANNOT change the stripe and clustersize. Correct? Thus meaning Just use the driver disks ans let xp set up my drives for me.

2. Can I use two ide drives to run in raid mode with my controlloer? And can I use two ATA 100 Drives rather then 133 drives?

3. Is there anything you think I should know or read before I do this?

Thanks alot
Dev

Edit
I forgot to mention I am running Windows XP. Though I will have to instal from a cd before sp1. Will this cause a problem as the hds are 200gb? If so is there anything I can do to get around this problem? Thanks<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Devren on 01/03/04 11:12 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : raid question

January 9, 2004 2:17:57 AM

1) Varies by motherboard/raid card, but as far as I know Windows XP will not create a disc array for you!

To create a disc array with my MB I need to 1) Enable Rain (using BIOS or jumper setting) 2) Enter Raid Controllers Bios to create array.

Once that is done you can install your OS using a driver disk.

2) Absolutely, you can even use ATA 133 drives with a ATA 100 controller. Only difference is that the old version of ATA 100 can't handle drives bigger than 120 GB.

3) If one drive fails, all data are lost (assuming you stripe).

You may not be able to pop out your raided drives and install them in another PC using a different raid card.

Striping decrease the time it takes to load data into memory, but has no effect after that. So when playing games, the levels load faster, but your FPS stays the same.

NOTE: Raiding increase your geek cred. Whether mentioning your RAID Array inceases or decreases the regard others have for you seems to depend soles on whether that person has ever owned a calculator watch.

WARNING: Women seldom are willing to wear calculator watches. The best course is to at most mention that you custom built your PC, if her reaction isn't "cool what motherboard you use" quickly distract her with a complement.
January 9, 2004 6:43:09 PM

Thank you very much for the responce. It seems that the problem was that with WD hardives and my MB bios you need to have the drives on cable select and not jumpered, and when I use just one drive I apparently need to take the jumper off entirely.

Thanks again for you help though, it was fun reading your responce.
Related resources
January 10, 2004 10:32:32 AM

Regarding 1): Im not sure exactly what you mean here. Some RAID controllers (e.g. the Promise LITE) does not provide options for changing the stripe size of a RAID 0 setup. You should check the RAID BIOS setup for any options regarding stripe size.

The cluster size of the array can always be changed. For the NTFS format this is default 4kB and is set when you format the array. If there is data on the array, you will need a tool like Partition magic (V8 or better) in order to change the cluster size.

As Codesmith pointed out, XP doesn't set up the array (unless you use dynamic disks and software RAID). The RAID array is set up in the RAID bios.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
January 12, 2004 5:38:56 PM

I'm just going to stick with the default as it seems to be working decently. Thanks again for the help.
!