Blue screen

I have gotten the following bsod message
"memory parity error'
"please contact your hardware vendor"

I restarted the computer and all is fine for a few days, then another bsod.
Not running anything unusual.
Is my memory going bad?
The machine is older,
Dell P3 600 MHz
756 mg of ram

Thanks for any info
Jim
12 answers Last reply
More about blue screen

    HB wrote:

    > I have gotten the following bsod message
    > "memory parity error'
    > "please contact your hardware vendor"
    >
    > I restarted the computer and all is fine for a few days, then another
    > bsod.
    > Not running anything unusual.
    > Is my memory going bad?
    > The machine is older,
    > Dell P3 600 MHz
    > 756 mg of ram

    It certainly sounds like a memory error. You can easily test this. I
    like Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org. You will either download the
    precompiled Windows binary to make a bootable floppy or the .iso to
    make a bootable cd. If you want to use the latter, you'll need to have
    third-party burning software on the machine where you download the file
    - XP's built-in burning capability won't do the job. In either case,
    boot with the media you made. The test will run immediately. Let the
    test run for an extended period of time - unless errors are seen
    immediately. If you get any errors, replace the RAM.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    In news:uyZzjSubFHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    HB <No@spam.com> typed:

    > I have gotten the following bsod message
    > "memory parity error'
    > "please contact your hardware vendor"
    >
    > I restarted the computer and all is fine for a few days, then
    > another
    > bsod. Not running anything unusual.
    > Is my memory going bad?

    The result of many errors is an ambiguous message, because it
    isn't always clear what the problem is. This message, on the
    other hand, is clear and unambiguous; it *says* your memory is
    going bad.

    If I were you, I would believe the message.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Why won't XP's native CD Writing do the job? It can't make a bootable
    CD-ROM?

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________

    > HB wrote:
    >
    >> I have gotten the following bsod message
    >> "memory parity error'
    >> "please contact your hardware vendor"
    >>
    >> I restarted the computer and all is fine for a few days, then another
    >> bsod.
    >> Not running anything unusual.
    >> Is my memory going bad?
    >> The machine is older,
    >> Dell P3 600 MHz
    >> 756 mg of ram
    >>

    > It certainly sounds like a memory error. You can easily test this. I
    > like Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org. You will either download the
    > precompiled Windows binary to make a bootable floppy or the .iso to
    > make a bootable cd. If you want to use the latter, you'll need to have
    > third-party burning software on the machine where you download the file
    > - XP's built-in burning capability won't do the job. In either case,
    > boot with the media you made. The test will run immediately. Let the
    > test run for an extended period of time - unless errors are seen
    > immediately. If you get any errors, replace the RAM.
    >
    > Malke
    > --

    Thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded and ran memtest for a single pass
    which took over two and a half hours to complete. It ran all tests. The test
    reported no errors. Should I let it test for more than one pass? Also, I
    googled a search for "troubleshooting memory" and "memory parity error" and
    got a lot of hits. Could you recommend a method for troubleshooting /other
    possible causes?

    Thanks, Jim

    The cause is typically failed or defective RAM. (including motherboard,
    Level 2 cache, or video memory), incompatible or mismatched memory
    hardware, or when a device driver attempts to access an address in the
    0x8xxxxxxx range that does not exist.
    Re:-http://www.theeldergeek.com/stop_error_messages.htm

    Windows Memory Diagnostic
    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

    http://www.memtest.org/

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
    > The cause is typically failed or defective RAM. (including motherboard,
    > Level 2 cache, or video memory), incompatible or mismatched memory
    > hardware, or when a device driver attempts to access an address in the
    > 0x8xxxxxxx range that does not exist.
    > Re:-http://www.theeldergeek.com/stop_error_messages.htm
    >
    > Windows Memory Diagnostic
    > http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
    >
    > http://www.memtest.org/
    >
    > regards,
    > ssg MS-MVP
    > HB wrote:
    >
    >> I have gotten the following bsod message
    >> "memory parity error'
    >> "please contact your hardware vendor"
    >>
    >> I restarted the computer and all is fine for a few days, then another
    >> bsod.
    >> Not running anything unusual.
    >> Is my memory going bad?
    >> The machine is older,
    >> Dell P3 600 MHz
    >> 756 mg of ram
    >>
    >> Thanks for any info
    >> Jim

    I downloaded the win mem diagnostic tool and cant get the iso file to burn
    properly. It cant be my burning software because it will burn other iso
    files with no problem. I tried copying to a floppy and that wont work
    either. I tried downloading several times with the same result, Is there a
    problem with the diagnostic program or am I doing something wrong?

    Hi,

    No, it can't. You need something that can handle the .iso file, and that
    means a third-party program, or an add-on like this one:
    http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Why won't XP's native CD Writing do the job? It can't make a bootable
    > CD-ROM?
    >
    > --
    > George Hester
    > _______________________________
    > "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
    >> HB wrote:
    >>
    >> > I have gotten the following bsod message
    >> > "memory parity error'
    >> > "please contact your hardware vendor"
    >> >
    >> > I restarted the computer and all is fine for a few days, then another
    >> > bsod.
    >> > Not running anything unusual.
    >> > Is my memory going bad?
    >> > The machine is older,
    >> > Dell P3 600 MHz
    >> > 756 mg of ram
    >> >

    >> It certainly sounds like a memory error. You can easily test this. I
    >> like Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org. You will either download the
    >> precompiled Windows binary to make a bootable floppy or the .iso to
    >> make a bootable cd. If you want to use the latter, you'll need to have
    >> third-party burning software on the machine where you download the file
    >> - XP's built-in burning capability won't do the job. In either case,
    >> boot with the media you made. The test will run immediately. Let the
    >> test run for an extended period of time - unless errors are seen
    >> immediately. If you get any errors, replace the RAM.
    >>
    >> Malke
    >> --
    >> Elephant Boy Computers
    >> www.elephantboycomputers.com
    >> "Don't Panic!"
    >> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    They gave you an MVP award for snide useless answers like this???

    HB wrote:
    > They gave you an MVP award for snide useless answers like this???

    >>The result of many errors is an ambiguous message, because it isn't always
    >>clear what the problem is. This message, on the other hand, is clear and
    >>unambiguous; it *says* your memory is going bad.
    >>
    >>If I were you, I would believe the message.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
    >>Please reply to the newsgroup

    Ah.... Ken's answer was neither snide nor useless.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    In news:O9rudUUcFHA.720@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Bruce Chambers <bchambers@h0tmail.c0m> typed:

    > HB wrote:
    >> They gave you an MVP award for snide useless answers like
    >> this???
    >>
    >> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
    >> message
    >>

    >>> The result of many errors is an ambiguous message, because it
    >>> isn't
    >>> always clear what the problem is. This message, on the other
    >>> hand,
    >>> is clear and unambiguous; it *says* your memory is going bad.
    >>>
    >>> If I were you, I would believe the message.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
    >>> Please reply to the newsgroup
    >>>

    > Ah.... Ken's answer was neither snide nor useless.

    Thanks, Bruce. I was going to reply similarly, but I decided to
    let it go, and let him believe what he wanted.

    Ken Blake wrote:

    > Thanks, Bruce. I was going to reply similarly, but I decided to
    > let it go, and let him believe what he wanted.

    No problem, Ken. Besides, I tend to think of "snide" as _my_
    territory. ;-}

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    No.i have seen a lot of your posts... your just an a$$hole

    "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@h0tmail.c0m> wrote in message
    > Ken Blake wrote:
    >>

    >> Thanks, Bruce. I was going to reply similarly, but I decided to let it
    >> go, and let him believe what he wanted.
    >>

    > No problem, Ken. Besides, I tend to think of "snide" as _my_ territory.
    > ;-}
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you: