Blue screen

June 12, 2005 12:21:13 AM

I have gotten the following bsod message
"memory parity error'
"please contact your hardware vendor"

I restarted the computer and all is fine for a few days, then another bsod.
Not running anything unusual.
Is my memory going bad?
The machine is older,
Dell P3 600 MHz
756 mg of ram

Thanks for any info
Jim

More about : blue screen

June 12, 2005 12:21:14 AM

HB wrote:

> I have gotten the following bsod message
> "memory parity error'
> "please contact your hardware vendor"
>
> I restarted the computer and all is fine for a few days, then another
> bsod.
> Not running anything unusual.
> Is my memory going bad?
> The machine is older,
> Dell P3 600 MHz
> 756 mg of ram

It certainly sounds like a memory error. You can easily test this. I
like Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org. You will either download the
precompiled Windows binary to make a bootable floppy or the .iso to
make a bootable cd. If you want to use the latter, you'll need to have
third-party burning software on the machine where you download the file
- XP's built-in burning capability won't do the job. In either case,
boot with the media you made. The test will run immediately. Let the
test run for an extended period of time - unless errors are seen
immediately. If you get any errors, replace the RAM.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

In news:uyZzjSubFHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
HB <No@spam.com> typed:

> I have gotten the following bsod message
> "memory parity error'
> "please contact your hardware vendor"
>
> I restarted the computer and all is fine for a few days, then
> another
> bsod. Not running anything unusual.
> Is my memory going bad?

The result of many errors is an ambiguous message, because it
isn't always clear what the problem is. This message, on the
other hand, is clear and unambiguous; it *says* your memory is
going bad.

If I were you, I would believe the message.

Please reply to the newsgroup
a b } Memory
June 12, 2005 4:13:54 AM

Why won't XP's native CD Writing do the job? It can't make a bootable
CD-ROM?

--
George Hester
_______________________________
> HB wrote:
>
> > I have gotten the following bsod message
> > "memory parity error'
> > "please contact your hardware vendor"
> >
> > I restarted the computer and all is fine for a few days, then another
> > bsod.
> > Not running anything unusual.
> > Is my memory going bad?
> > The machine is older,
> > Dell P3 600 MHz
> > 756 mg of ram
> >

> It certainly sounds like a memory error. You can easily test this. I
> like Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org. You will either download the
> precompiled Windows binary to make a bootable floppy or the .iso to
> make a bootable cd. If you want to use the latter, you'll need to have
> third-party burning software on the machine where you download the file
> - XP's built-in burning capability won't do the job. In either case,
> boot with the media you made. The test will run immediately. Let the
> test run for an extended period of time - unless errors are seen
> immediately. If you get any errors, replace the RAM.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
June 12, 2005 4:44:53 AM

> HB wrote:
>
>> I have gotten the following bsod message
>> "memory parity error'
>> "please contact your hardware vendor"
>>
>> I restarted the computer and all is fine for a few days, then another
>> bsod.
>> Not running anything unusual.
>> Is my memory going bad?
>> The machine is older,
>> Dell P3 600 MHz
>> 756 mg of ram
>>

> It certainly sounds like a memory error. You can easily test this. I
> like Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org. You will either download the
> precompiled Windows binary to make a bootable floppy or the .iso to
> make a bootable cd. If you want to use the latter, you'll need to have
> third-party burning software on the machine where you download the file
> - XP's built-in burning capability won't do the job. In either case,
> boot with the media you made. The test will run immediately. Let the
> test run for an extended period of time - unless errors are seen
> immediately. If you get any errors, replace the RAM.
>
> Malke
> --

Thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded and ran memtest for a single pass
which took over two and a half hours to complete. It ran all tests. The test
reported no errors. Should I let it test for more than one pass? Also, I
googled a search for "troubleshooting memory" and "memory parity error" and
got a lot of hits. Could you recommend a method for troubleshooting /other
possible causes?

Thanks, Jim
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 12, 2005 10:58:48 AM

The cause is typically failed or defective RAM. (including motherboard,
Level 2 cache, or video memory), incompatible or mismatched memory
hardware, or when a device driver attempts to access an address in the
0x8xxxxxxx range that does not exist.
Re:-http://www.theeldergeek.com/stop_error_messages.htm

Windows Memory Diagnostic
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

http://www.memtest.org/

regards,
ssg MS-MVP
HB wrote:

> I have gotten the following bsod message
> "memory parity error'
> "please contact your hardware vendor"
>
> I restarted the computer and all is fine for a few days, then another bsod.
> Not running anything unusual.
> Is my memory going bad?
> The machine is older,
> Dell P3 600 MHz
> 756 mg of ram
>
> Thanks for any info
> Jim

June 12, 2005 10:58:49 AM

"S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
> The cause is typically failed or defective RAM. (including motherboard,
> Level 2 cache, or video memory), incompatible or mismatched memory
> hardware, or when a device driver attempts to access an address in the
> 0x8xxxxxxx range that does not exist.
> Re:-http://www.theeldergeek.com/stop_error_messages.htm
>
> Windows Memory Diagnostic
> http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
>
> http://www.memtest.org/
>
> regards,
> ssg MS-MVP
> HB wrote:
>
>> I have gotten the following bsod message
>> "memory parity error'
>> "please contact your hardware vendor"
>>
>> I restarted the computer and all is fine for a few days, then another
>> bsod.
>> Not running anything unusual.
>> Is my memory going bad?
>> The machine is older,
>> Dell P3 600 MHz
>> 756 mg of ram
>>
>> Thanks for any info
>> Jim

I downloaded the win mem diagnostic tool and cant get the iso file to burn
properly. It cant be my burning software because it will burn other iso
files with no problem. I tried copying to a floppy and that wont work
either. I tried downloading several times with the same result, Is there a
problem with the diagnostic program or am I doing something wrong?
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 12, 2005 12:02:33 PM

Hi,

No, it can't. You need something that can handle the .iso file, and that
means a third-party program, or an add-on like this one:
http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Why won't XP's native CD Writing do the job? It can't make a bootable
> CD-ROM?
>
> --
> George Hester
> _______________________________
> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
>> HB wrote:
>>
>> > I have gotten the following bsod message
>> > "memory parity error'
>> > "please contact your hardware vendor"
>> >
>> > I restarted the computer and all is fine for a few days, then another
>> > bsod.
>> > Not running anything unusual.
>> > Is my memory going bad?
>> > The machine is older,
>> > Dell P3 600 MHz
>> > 756 mg of ram
>> >

>> It certainly sounds like a memory error. You can easily test this. I
>> like Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org. You will either download the
>> precompiled Windows binary to make a bootable floppy or the .iso to
>> make a bootable cd. If you want to use the latter, you'll need to have
>> third-party burning software on the machine where you download the file
>> - XP's built-in burning capability won't do the job. In either case,
>> boot with the media you made. The test will run immediately. Let the
>> test run for an extended period of time - unless errors are seen
>> immediately. If you get any errors, replace the RAM.
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

June 14, 2005 6:32:10 PM

They gave you an MVP award for snide useless answers like this???

> In news:uyZzjSubFHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> HB <No@spam.com> typed:
>
>> I have gotten the following bsod message
>> "memory parity error'
>> "please contact your hardware vendor"
>>
>> I restarted the computer and all is fine for a few days, then another
>> bsod. Not running anything unusual.
>> Is my memory going bad?
>

> The result of many errors is an ambiguous message, because it isn't always
> clear what the problem is. This message, on the other hand, is clear and
> unambiguous; it *says* your memory is going bad.
>
> If I were you, I would believe the message.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 14, 2005 10:56:49 PM

HB wrote:
> They gave you an MVP award for snide useless answers like this???

>>The result of many errors is an ambiguous message, because it isn't always
>>clear what the problem is. This message, on the other hand, is clear and
>>unambiguous; it *says* your memory is going bad.
>>
>>If I were you, I would believe the message.
>>
>>--
>>Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
>>Please reply to the newsgroup

Ah.... Ken's answer was neither snide nor useless.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 14, 2005 10:56:50 PM

In news:o 9rudUUcFHA.720@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Bruce Chambers <bchambers@h0tmail.c0m> typed:

> HB wrote:
>> They gave you an MVP award for snide useless answers like
>> this???
>>
>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
>> message
>>

>>> The result of many errors is an ambiguous message, because it
>>> isn't
>>> always clear what the problem is. This message, on the other
>>> hand,
>>> is clear and unambiguous; it *says* your memory is going bad.
>>>
>>> If I were you, I would believe the message.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
>>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>>>

> Ah.... Ken's answer was neither snide nor useless.

Thanks, Bruce. I was going to reply similarly, but I decided to
let it go, and let him believe what he wanted.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 14, 2005 11:15:43 PM

Ken Blake wrote:

> Thanks, Bruce. I was going to reply similarly, but I decided to
> let it go, and let him believe what he wanted.

No problem, Ken. Besides, I tend to think of "snide" as _my_
territory. ;-}

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
June 15, 2005 1:23:42 AM

No.i have seen a lot of your posts... your just an a$$hole

!