What does life & work mean to you?

Okay, maybe when you read the title, you'd think I'm on something again....
But anyways, I updated my livejournal entry: (I did update at irregular
intervals, but most of them are private message kept away from showing to
public)

http://www.livejournal.com/users/ashikaga/

Do you guys find a good correlationship bewteen the meaning of your life
and the work you do? For those of you who live longer than I am, what's
your take on the issue? I would like to know your opinion too, Lost.
Since I know you are very religious, so I would like to know your opinion
as well. Everyone is welcome to discuss their perception of the meaning of
life and work. :)

--
Ashikaga a26

> Do you guys find a good correlationship bewteen the meaning of your
life
> and the work you do? For those of you who live longer than I am,
what's
> your take on the issue? I would like to know your opinion too, Lost.
> Since I know you are very religious, so I would like to know your
opinion
> as well. Everyone is welcome to discuss their perception of the
meaning of
> life and work. :)

I hate my job. My job is the antithesis of what I hoped to do when I
was a kid. I work to support jerks whom I despise, performing
repetitive donkey-work that degrades my great big brain and my even
bigger ego, trying to second-guess logical systems that are behaving
illogically. And that's just the customers.

But I dig my life. I attempt to make my life groovy. Work helps pay for
the rest of my life. And it gives me something to do.

That's pretty much where the connection ends.

thehawk

Distinguished
May 19, 2003

In article <lai3d6jfa0b2$.tig1ih2tdtf$.dlg@40tude.net>,
citizenashi@yahoo.com says...

I will not kid you. I work for one reason, and one reason only: to pay
for my time outside of work. I also do what I do for one reason only:
because I am good at it. For the most part, I like what I do, but if
given the opportunity to have the financial resources to pay for all of
my requirements and interests, I would be all over that like white on
rice.

-thehawk
Fallen Angel Dragon, UDIC

On 8 Apr 2005 13:39:31 -0700, submersible@gmail.com wrote:

>But I dig my life. I attempt to make my life groovy. Work helps pay for
>the rest of my life. And it gives me something to do.

Hey, that's pretty much it --- work helps pay for the rest of my life.
Though I'm working very hard at making work more something I like than
drudgery. Working for myself would help that a lot.

--

Erimess Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

d++e+NT++Om UK!1!2!3!A!L!
U+uCuFuG+++uLB+uA+ nC+nH+nP+nS++nT-xa2

This is the comfort of everyone: That tho' they
may be said to die, yet their love and devotion
are, in best sense, ever present because immortal.
~William Penn
In memory of my father, 1 Jan 05

Eek! thehawk wrote:
> Ashikaga says...
>
> I will not kid you. I work for one reason, and one reason only: to pay
> for my time outside of work. I also do what I do for one reason only:
> because I am good at it. For the most part, I like what I do, but if
> given the opportunity to have the financial resources to pay for all of
> my requirements and interests, I would be all over that like white on
> rice.

But that'll be okay if you love your work and can find that as a missing
piece of the puzzle that fill your life.

What I really mean is, I see lots of people doing their jobs for no reason.
They are bored with it, they don't know why they are doing it, they feel
they are wasting their life away. They have no passion for the job, but
they simulate that interest.

I don't like my job either, but some people seemed okay with it and accept
it as, simply put, life. Whereas I think there is something wrong with it
that a job should be a fulfillment of life but not a meaningless stuffing
thingamajig. There has to be a goal in what one should call a career (not
just a "job", which has no goal).

I sometimes feel I am too old to just have a job that fills my stomach but
not working toward a life long goal. I did not complete a college degree
to just to fill my stomach. I think when I die, I shall have something
more memorable than "My stomach has been fed all these years."

But I see lots of people engage in a job as part of the life simulation,
but disregard how meaningless the particular job they do mean to them.
They don't see the goal in that job and this is the horrible part, they
don't care, because it's never been their concern.

In some ways, it's a college fraternity experience. I still don't see why
some people think they must join a fraternity house because that's part of
the college. They join one, go wasted, have some irresponsible fun.
Nothing that I would consider as a contribution to the academic experience
of a college. Totally pointless, but it's just "part of the college."

If getting a job that doesn't align with one's goal, well..., I agree that
we should get our human basic needs met first, but shouldn't one still
looking out for opportunities that'll contribute one's growth? But I do no
see any growth in fraternity.... Nor some big corporation's operation. It
seems like everyone sees it as a transition. Passing the torch to others
before they move on as they see no future in it, so they want to invest
nothing. There is simply no passion in what people do.... Why is that so?

I love doing finance with great zeal, but I admit while I was in college,
most of my fellow peers hate the subject. Sometimes I wanted to tell them
if they don't like it, they really should quit, but I also understand it
was too late to do so now, and I knew they thought of the same way. Most
people studied the subjects because it makes money, not that they love it.
Most people know that too..., but they continue to dig the grave to their
happiness. Think this way, they are only in their mid-twenties. They
still have 50-60 years of misery in front of them. That's pretty sad if
you think about it.

Sometimes I feel I see the world with such an eye that I am no longer a
participant of life, but an observer of it. "It's only human" is no longer
a good enough explanation to fuzzy parts of life for me anymore. There are
many things done wrong in life, but people don't want to correct it, that
just kills me.

--
Ashikaga a26

> Sometimes I feel I see the world with such an eye that I am no longer a
> participant of life, but an observer of it. "It's only human" is no longer
> a good enough explanation to fuzzy parts of life for me anymore. There are
> many things done wrong in life, but people don't want to correct it, that
> just kills me.

And who makes that judgement, and with what omniscient eye do they see
all that comes into making such a decision?

> http://www.livejournal.com/users/ashikaga/

You have a livejournal? Why was I not informed? *adds*

--
/\_./b__ _O_ <====o Lost Dragon o====> _|_ __d\._/\
(/^/(_^^' | I like people - I just can't eat a whole one | `^^_)\^\)

Eek! Helgraf Dragon wrote:
>> Sometimes I feel I see the world with such an eye that I am no longer a
>> participant of life, but an observer of it. "It's only human" is no longer
>> a good enough explanation to fuzzy parts of life for me anymore. There are
>> many things done wrong in life, but people don't want to correct it, that
>> just kills me.
>
> And who makes that judgement, and with what omniscient eye do they see
> all that comes into making such a decision?

I think you are talking about god(s). But I do not believe in god.
Besides, I was talking about myself, who feel I'm detached from life. I've
been an outsider for a long long time now and there are simply lots of
human conducts that disgust me.

Judgements are subjective by nature, but there are also things that are
more apparently right or wrong, but it's possible some people are so into
the thing they are into, they can't see that they are right or wrong at the
moment. Do you see my logic?

--
Ashikaga a26

Eek! Lost Dragon wrote:
>> http://www.livejournal.com/users/ashikaga/
>
> You have a livejournal? Why was I not informed? *adds*

The reason I don't want people to read it is because it's sort of my
brainstorming place for my story ideas. Some of them is very rough and I
usually keep them in private mode anyways, so nobody could read them. Feel
free to add me, but I don't have many interesting stuff to say that
concerns other people. This is one of the rare events I thought it's just
easier to post over there instead of writing two copies of the same thing.

Can I add you?

--
Ashikaga a26

> Can I add you?

Yup. I'm "kulhain" on LJ. Somebody had already taken Lost Dragon by
the time I got there. :p

--

Ashikaga the Forcible Masked Drag Racer of Niceness wrote:
>Okay, maybe when you read the title, you'd think I'm on something again....
>But anyways, I updated my livejournal entry: (I did update at irregular
>intervals, but most of them are private message kept away from showing to
>public)
>http://www.livejournal.com/users/ashikaga/
>Do you guys find a good correlationship bewteen the meaning of your life
>and the work you do? For those of you who live longer than I am, what's
>your take on the issue? I would like to know your opinion too, Lost.
>Since I know you are very religious, so I would like to know your opinion
>as well. Everyone is welcome to discuss their perception of the meaning of
>life and work. :)

Well, first your concerns about industrial man not understanding the
significance of his own work are an old one that streches back to Adam
Smith, although I think more associated with left wing thinkers. I do
not really see an alternative to industrial conglomeration except for
universal scaricity. I would point out worrying about it won't change
it, but this rings hollow as I worry about all kinds of things I have
no hope of changing. I would say that just because such problems exist
does not obligate you to feel miserable, you can be happy and still be
geniuily concerned and engaged with such things.

As to the relation between work and the meaning of my life or purpose
in it. Well, I am fortunate in that I am essentially paid (via a
scholarship) to do something that I might pretty much want to do
anyway (some define this as success). Of course whether this will be
the case after I finish my PhD remains to be seen. But I do not think
my hopes of continueing to research in my chosen field are too
farfetched. I enjoy this idea very much and it makes my efforts pretty
easy to justify to myself, so I do not have crisies of identify as you
describe. I think though that there is a danger to being paid to do
what you like in that your work can become your life. I think you
always benefit by going beyond your work and this is important.

With respect to my work, I hope and feel that although meager my
efforts result in something worthwhile. However, I can hardly be sure
of this, I may be wasting my efforts in vain pedantry.

If your particular interests and aptitudes do not suit you to some
profession where you can make a living (or live in the style to which
you have become accustomed), well that unfortunately is life, you will
have to pick up some work to live. Even if you do fall into some
calling where your interests, aspirations and aptitudes match there is
still plenty of grunt work to be done along the way.

I worked one summer at a bottlecap factory, I was in charge of the
machine that made the cardboard boxes the bottlecaps were shipped off
in. I worked 12 hour shifts (and every two weeks I shifted from day to
night shift). It was at once mindnumbingly boring and exhausting. I
would never want to do that again. However, if it was either that or
go on the pogy I would probably do that job again, but I would
definetly spend lots of energy looking for something else. Later
summers I worked at my university doing research, although not without
boredom or long days I enjoyed that work a great deal more and found
it interesting overall. I did not stay in physics because I hoped to
find something more rewarding and engaging in my broader conceptual
interests in the history of physics and the philosphy of physics.
However, if I had not had the prospect of HPS I think I could have
happily continued with a career in physics and found other ways to
satisfy my speculative and humanist impulse in after work pursuits.

I have neither the experience nor the knowledge to give career advice.
However, based on my own limited work experience I think if you really
hate your job then you are going to be at least a little unhappy or
unsatisifed overall. However, if you don't hate your job even if you
do not love it, I think you will find you can be as satisified as if
you love your job as long as you find ways to fufill your needs and
ambitions elsewhere.
--
d e+ N- T- Om++ UK!1!2!3!4!56A78!9 u uC uF- uG+ uLB+ uA nC nR nH+ nP
nI+ nPT nS+ nT- y- a25, Captain in the Cinnaguard, Weirdo, Blue Bow

>>Do you guys find a good correlationship
>>bewteen the meaning of your life
>>and the work you do?

No, none.

I find a good coorelation between the work I do and these flash
animations, however:

http://www.lowmorale.co.uk/

--
Lost Dragon

Eek! Saint George's Dragon wrote:
> Ashikaga the Forcible Masked Drag Racer of Niceness wrote:
>>Okay, maybe when you read the title, you'd think I'm on something again....
>>But anyways, I updated my livejournal entry: (I did update at irregular
>>intervals, but most of them are private message kept away from showing to
>>public)
>>http://www.livejournal.com/users/ashikaga/
>>Do you guys find a good correlationship bewteen the meaning of your life
>>and the work you do? For those of you who live longer than I am, what's
>>your take on the issue? I would like to know your opinion too, Lost.
>>Since I know you are very religious, so I would like to know your opinion
>>as well. Everyone is welcome to discuss their perception of the meaning of
>>life and work. :)
>
> Well, first your concerns about industrial man not understanding the
> significance of his own work are an old one that streches back to Adam
> Smith, although I think more associated with left wing thinkers. I do
> not really see an alternative to industrial conglomeration except for
> universal scaricity. I would point out worrying about it won't change
> it, but this rings hollow as I worry about all kinds of things I have
> no hope of changing. I would say that just because such problems exist
> does not obligate you to feel miserable, you can be happy and still be
> geniuily concerned and engaged with such things.

I'm very right-wing in philosophy in term of economy. I am very
anti-communism just for the very idea that human are assumably
interchangeable and can be relocated to do different works as the state
assigns them to for the greater goods of the society. I mean why would a
person endowed with talents to do arts do factory works; or a man lived in
Toronto with a talent in construction assigned to do highway planning in
Montreal (and therefore, forced to relocate to another place), just because
the state decided there is a shortage of highway engineers, but
construction worker allocation has been filled? Humans are not designed to
be robots (or otherwise we are all replaceable by machines). People have
aspiration to do something they have a passion for.

Anyways, back on topic. Yes, one can deceive oneself into believing there
is a reason why one is working at something s/he doesn't have a great
interest in, but don't expect happiness to be ensued.

> As to the relation between work and the meaning of my life or purpose
> in it. Well, I am fortunate in that I am essentially paid (via a
> scholarship) to do something that I might pretty much want to do
> anyway (some define this as success). Of course whether this will be
> the case after I finish my PhD remains to be seen. But I do not think
> my hopes of continueing to research in my chosen field are too
> farfetched. I enjoy this idea very much and it makes my efforts pretty
> easy to justify to myself, so I do not have crisies of identify as you
> describe. I think though that there is a danger to being paid to do
> what you like in that your work can become your life. I think you
> always benefit by going beyond your work and this is important.

And that's healthy. If you have a passion, the greater efficiency will be
achieved through it anyways. And yes, I also realize if one becomes his
work, there is a great danger in it, as that's one of the things I strongly
criticize about modern management theory, as it exploits human's passion
for their work by making them feel their job is their worth (which is the
other end of the extreme). But sometimes I feel quite cautious about
advicing people not to overwork but to live their lives a bit, I feel I
might be encouraging people to be slackers.... You know how some people
will take words and interpret them differently than you intended.

> With respect to my work, I hope and feel that although meager my
> efforts result in something worthwhile. However, I can hardly be sure
> of this, I may be wasting my efforts in vain pedantry.
>
> If your particular interests and aptitudes do not suit you to some
> profession where you can make a living (or live in the style to which
> you have become accustomed), well that unfortunately is life, you will
> have to pick up some work to live. Even if you do fall into some
> calling where your interests, aspirations and aptitudes match there is
> still plenty of grunt work to be done along the way.

That I understand. I'm criticizing the very fundamental of the society
that values the work a person does but not the person's intrinsic ability.
I mean an artist can be extremely talented, but if nobody wants to buy a
painting, he is considered probably lower than those who makes a minimum
wage. I think it's called dislocation of job and talent in economics.

> I worked one summer at a bottlecap factory, I was in charge of the
> machine that made the cardboard boxes the bottlecaps were shipped off
> in. I worked 12 hour shifts (and every two weeks I shifted from day to
> night shift). It was at once mindnumbingly boring and exhausting. I
> would never want to do that again. However, if it was either that or
> go on the pogy I would probably do that job again, but I would
> definetly spend lots of energy looking for something else. Later
> summers I worked at my university doing research, although not without
> boredom or long days I enjoyed that work a great deal more and found
> it interesting overall. I did not stay in physics because I hoped to
> find something more rewarding and engaging in my broader conceptual
> interests in the history of physics and the philosphy of physics.
> However, if I had not had the prospect of HPS I think I could have
> happily continued with a career in physics and found other ways to
> satisfy my speculative and humanist impulse in after work pursuits.

I'm so glad you take some time to use your real life experience to support
your argument. It makes much more sense to your audience, as it renders an
argument more life-like and more connected to people's lives, as oppose to
just like another "theory" about life.

Lots of jobs can be bearable if people you work with are interesting people
you enjoy very much. That has been the way for my past few jobs.

And I believe some fields of interests can take priority, much like your
career choice in physics if top choices become no longer practical. I
enjoy doing finance, but I also enjoy doing teaching, novel writing,
cooking and stuff. I see them as viable alternatives, but sometimes we
don't even get to choose to work on those viable alternatives.

We shall be glad that our talents lie along the ways of the skills that are
valued by this society. If we possesses some strange skills like able to
tell an animal's gender by smell, then we'd most likely be starved and even
laughed at.

> I have neither the experience nor the knowledge to give career advice.
> However, based on my own limited work experience I think if you really
> hate your job then you are going to be at least a little unhappy or
> unsatisifed overall. However, if you don't hate your job even if you
> do not love it, I think you will find you can be as satisified as if
> you love your job as long as you find ways to fufill your needs and
> ambitions elsewhere.

I'm not talking about myself only, but I see lots of people have very low
self-worth because of the work they do. They just keep doing it
because..., well, there isn't really a real because... (which is really
sad). They can explain it like "because that's just life" or "I'm just
doing it for the money" or "at least I'm not starving" or "it's better than
your job anyways" but none of those explains why they still feel miserable.
They are just excuses stemed from a hopeless feeling they can't not even
grunt, because that's just the way the society forces them to do.

--
Ashikaga a26

Eek! Lost Dragon wrote:
>> Can I add you?
>
> Yup. I'm "kulhain" on LJ. Somebody had already taken Lost Dragon by
> the time I got there. :p

Oh, bummer! Tell him/her to get lost! ;-D

--
Ashikaga a26

thehawk

Distinguished
May 19, 2003

In article <taccp3t2s50k$.1w0nkq8pjy704$.dlg@40tude.net>,
citizenashi@yahoo.com says...
> Eek! Lost Dragon wrote:
> >> Can I add you?
> >
> > Yup. I'm "kulhain" on LJ. Somebody had already taken Lost Dragon by
> > the time I got there. :p
>
> Oh, bummer! Tell him/her to get lost! ;-D

Uhm, sounds like (s)he already did, and that is what has caused the
problem in question.

-thehawk
Fallen Angel Dragon, UDIC

Words to the wise, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Do you guys find a good correlationship bewteen the meaning of your life
>and the work you do? For those of you who live longer than I am, what's
>your take on the issue? I would like to know your opinion too, Lost.
>Since I know you are very religious, so I would like to know your opinion
>as well. Everyone is welcome to discuss their perception of the meaning of
>life and work. :)

Hmmm, I have pondered that question time and again ... I am tired, so
just a few lines as far as I am converned:

In an ideal life, I would do what I love to do and be paid a truckload
of money for it.

In reality, its a bit different of course. Some of the jobs I had were
not paid really well but were fun, and others were no fun at all but
rather well-paid. I even managed to have the aurea mediocritas,
meaning some fun and quite a lot of money.

Basically, if you work at something you like, then you are certainly
placing pressure on yourself, meaning that your life gets more
stressful up to the point that you come home from work, eat, fall into
bed.

Sometimes, even the less tedious jobs were quite hard as it meant lots
of hours of work and at least partial attention. That led to less
sleep as I am not cutting back my free time after work, so the spiral
starts until I am unable to get out of bed on saturdays.

So, after some experiences in different categories of work, I think my
correlation between life and work is as follows:

1. vaguely interesting
2. money
3. at least some free time where to spend some of the money while
really doing what I like to do

Basically, I have no qualms with any kind of work as long as I get
paid. I am the ultimate mercenary there, and I can tell you that this
realization was not really something I would like to have again, as it
did shatter my self-reflection. I will definitely hold back on
(necessary) criticism, if I know my boss cannot deal with it at the
moment, is not interested in it or cant do anything about it anyhow. I
will also hold back my criticism, just state if I see a problem
somewhere and afterwards think 'I told you so.'

I have not been in a position yet where my opinion or experience had
any significant value. So perhaps that might change.

Something else though, I dont criticise just for the sake of it, as
some people tend to do, though trying to see both sides of a medal is
sometimes perceived as being overly critic towards something.

Errr, skimming over this again, I realize that at least a good part of
it misses the question ...

Eek! Claus Dragon wrote:
> Words to the wise, Ashikaga wrote:
>
>>Do you guys find a good correlationship bewteen the meaning of your life
>>and the work you do? For those of you who live longer than I am, what's
>>your take on the issue? I would like to know your opinion too, Lost.
>>Since I know you are very religious, so I would like to know your opinion
>>as well. Everyone is welcome to discuss their perception of the meaning of
>>life and work. :)
>
> Hmmm, I have pondered that question time and again ... I am tired, so
> just a few lines as far as I am converned:
>
> In an ideal life, I would do what I love to do and be paid a truckload
> of money for it.

But in reality, that won't happen for most people, so one must choose one
or the other. We all know that. I'm more inclined to get a job that I
love rather than a job that pays well, but I totally hate it.

> In reality, its a bit different of course. Some of the jobs I had were
> not paid really well but were fun, and others were no fun at all but
> rather well-paid. I even managed to have the aurea mediocritas,
> meaning some fun and quite a lot of money.
>
> Basically, if you work at something you like, then you are certainly
> placing pressure on yourself, meaning that your life gets more
> stressful up to the point that you come home from work, eat, fall into
> bed.

Not really. If I like the job, I will do extra hard, but won't feel
stressful (if you feel stressful, that's because you HATE it), even though
I'm certainly very productive, much more so than the one that I sort of get
pass time with. Though I must say I have a tendency of NOT knowing I am
stressed out when I am very involved into something, so I could get really
overworked.

> Sometimes, even the less tedious jobs were quite hard as it meant lots
> of hours of work and at least partial attention. That led to less
> sleep as I am not cutting back my free time after work, so the spiral
> starts until I am unable to get out of bed on saturdays.

I think those are the kinds of work that require constant attention and so
you are on a constant alert mode. That's what causes it to feel tiresome.

> So, after some experiences in different categories of work, I think my
> correlation between life and work is as follows:
>
> 1. vaguely interesting
> 2. money
> 3. at least some free time where to spend some of the money while
> really doing what I like to do
>
> Basically, I have no qualms with any kind of work as long as I get
> paid. I am the ultimate mercenary there, and I can tell you that this
> realization was not really something I would like to have again, as it
> did shatter my self-reflection. I will definitely hold back on
> (necessary) criticism, if I know my boss cannot deal with it at the
> moment, is not interested in it or cant do anything about it anyhow. I
> will also hold back my criticism, just state if I see a problem
> somewhere and afterwards think 'I told you so.'

I don't think we are talking about the same thing. I think your
dissatisfaction lies in your discontent toward the management, which I have
some also. But what I am originally asking is the link between life and
work (itself), which is a grander topic.

Anyways, I do want to talk about management stuff though. Yeah, it takes
some mental maturity to deal with intra-office relationship and I think
you've been doing the right thing. I also hold back my criticisms on
important and necessary issues also, though I do know that for the
long-term health of the company, it's better that I just tell them
directly. In fact, I've been on the other side too, and from a manager's
POV, it's also important to hold back some criticism towards their
employees, even when they are doing some total screw balls.

It's very easy to get into a situation that there is no trust between
management and employees, so it's solely depends on the maturity level of
each side and how cooperative and a desire to get things done right both
parties want. Otherwise, all it takes is one person play a political game
and everything fall apart. Nothing gets done, and nothing can be done to
stop it, except someone has to go (even that would hurt the company morale
somewhat, unless there is a clear villain, which is usually not the case).

> I have not been in a position yet where my opinion or experience had
> any significant value. So perhaps that might change.

And when your opinion gains value, then your responsibility will increase
as well, which is not always favorable in every person's eyes. That is
actually quite stressful and most of the time, deals with ethical dilemma,
and sometimes unethical decision can be done because our lack of experience
and simple ignorance. I don't think my company knows what they are doing
affects more than what they intended, otherwise, they should feel shameful
that they still consider themselves a social responsible company. But
that's just reality, most people make decisions without knowing some people
get hurt.

> Something else though, I dont criticise just for the sake of it, as
> some people tend to do, though trying to see both sides of a medal is
> sometimes perceived as being overly critic towards something.

That takes a mature person to do that :). Most people feel it's fun or
feel they are in power when they criticize, even when it doesn't really
mean anything or even sound childish from people who are more experienced
with it. Before critize someone, consider the outcome first. Most people
just don't think through.

> Errr, skimming over this again, I realize that at least a good part of
> it misses the question ...

Yes.... But it's okay to unload your discontent. I'm not going to hug you
(at least Poly doesn't want mine), but you know I do care.

--
Ashikaga a26

"Ashikaga" <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think you are talking about god(s). But I do not believe in god.

Maybe you should. You don't wanna turn around one day and have no allegience
during Gotterdammerung*!

--
zhentil

*It'll sorta be like that fight between Kirk and Spock on the Vulcan
homeworld... except with Gods.

Eek! <zhentil@mindspring.com> wrote:
> "Ashikaga" wrote:
>
>> I think you are talking about god(s). But I do not believe in god.
>
> Maybe you should. You don't wanna turn around one day and have no allegience
> during Gotterdammerung*!

Eeks! Missionary.

--
Ashikaga a26

Words to the wise, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Eek! <zhentil@mindspring.com> wrote:
>> "Ashikaga" wrote:
>>
>>> I think you are talking about god(s). But I do not believe in god.
>>
>> Maybe you should. You don't wanna turn around one day and have no allegience
>> during Gotterdammerung*!
>
>Eeks! Missionary.

R A G N A R O E K is waiting around the corner!

Words to the wise, Ashikaga <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Sometimes, even the less tedious jobs were quite hard as it meant lots
>> of hours of work and at least partial attention. That led to less
>> sleep as I am not cutting back my free time after work, so the spiral
>> starts until I am unable to get out of bed on saturdays.
>
>I think those are the kinds of work that require constant attention and so
>you are on a constant alert mode. That's what causes it to feel tiresome.

No, you know, watching over servers which sometimes hiccup is less
tedious than coding.

It is also less intellectually challenging.

*snipdibit*

>> Errr, skimming over this again, I realize that at least a good part of
>> it misses the question ...
>
>Yes.... But it's okay to unload your discontent. I'm not going to hug you
>(at least Poly doesn't want mine), but you know I do care.

Hmmm, I am not overly discontent, I just kind of danced from topic to
topic. Something quite natual in here :)

thehawk

Distinguished
May 19, 2003

In article <142v4uu7wis64.aihgjjn7b8x1.dlg@40tude.net>,
citizenashi@yahoo.com says...
> Eek! thehawk wrote:
> > Ashikaga says...
> >
> > I will not kid you. I work for one reason, and one reason only: to pay
> > for my time outside of work. I also do what I do for one reason only:
> > because I am good at it. For the most part, I like what I do, but if
> > given the opportunity to have the financial resources to pay for all of
> > my requirements and interests, I would be all over that like white on
> > rice.
>
> But that'll be okay if you love your work and can find that as a missing
> piece of the puzzle that fill your life.

(all the rest removed, if you could not tell)

This is where I cut you off, because, in my opinion, this is where you
are going all wrong.

See, work is not a missing piece of the puzzle to fill my life, it is
not something that I will ever love, and it is not something I will ever
be passionate about (with just about two exceptions, and I will go into
why in a bit- I think). I work for one thing, and one thing only, like
I said. To finance my living.

I have goals. I have a -list- of goals, a copy of which I keep in my
wallet (which reminds me, it is old and tattered, and needs to be
recopied by now). They range from things like seeing my best friend
graduate from college (it has been a long and arduous road for her) to
hiking the Pacific Crest Trail, and climbing the mountains in the
Cascade Range, and a multitude of things in between. As you can see,
unless I work for National Geographic or the Discovery Channel, they are
in no way related to pretty much any job I may have. In those rare
moments when I wonder why in the world I am doing whatever work I am
supposed to be doing, I just have to look at (or any more, think about,
as I memorized it long ago) that list and I know.

Career goals? Who cares? You know why companies like people like that
so much? Because they are easy to manipulate into working the long
hours and going the extra mile for the same pay as everyone else. Make
no mistake. The days of company loyalty to its employees is long past.
They reward you for -their- benefit, not yours.

The point where people love their jobs, they are passionate about them,
that is when there ceases to be any differentiation between work and
life. Too often this happens to people in the wrong jobs. They confuse
being good at something with enjoyment in doing it; they confuse long
hours and personal sacrifices for passion.

I make a point to be very good at what I do. The only reason for this
is my own personal demand for perfection. They will get everything I
have for the eight hours they pay me for, but when the day is over, my
life starts. I have seen too many people who do otherwise sacrifice
themselves, their friends, their families, and their souls for the sake
of their 'career'. What does that get you in the end? A gold watch? A
nice retirement party? Phfft.

A career, your friends, your family, your own life. You have to decide
what is most important to you. Something to keep in mind tho. Have you
ever seen things like 'he enjoyed his life too much', 'he spent too much
time with his family', or 'he did not spend enough time at work' written
on a tombstone, or in an epitaph?

If your job were so great, it would not be called 'work'.

Now quit observating and go out there and do something.

-thehawk
Fallen Angel Dragon, UDIC

"Ashikaga" <citizenashi@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Do you guys find a good correlationship bewteen the meaning of your life
> and the work you do?

I can't imagine doing anything else for a living, but I also can't say that
I'm one of those people who passionately live and breathe graphic design,
find deep meaning in it and follow it a lot outside of work. I pretty much
leave it at work and devote my life to other interests for the rest of the
time.

- GSD

Eek! Great Siberian Dragon wrote:
> "Ashikaga" wrote...
>>
>> Do you guys find a good correlationship bewteen the meaning of your life
>> and the work you do?
>
> I can't imagine doing anything else for a living, but I also can't say that
> I'm one of those people who passionately live and breathe graphic design,
> find deep meaning in it and follow it a lot outside of work. I pretty much
> leave it at work and devote my life to other interests for the rest of the
> time.

That's good. :) Loving your job and having a great relationship with
your coworkers are very important. I could do the second part just fine,
but I see no future in my current job. Though I remember you saying you
are painfully shy so I hope you'll find your love interest soon.

--
Ashikaga a26

Eek! thehawk wrote:
> Ashikaga says...
<snip>
>> But that'll be okay if you love your work and can find that as a missing
>> piece of the puzzle that fill your life.
>
> (all the rest removed, if you could not tell)
>
> This is where I cut you off, because, in my opinion, this is where you
> are going all wrong.
>
> See, work is not a missing piece of the puzzle to fill my life, it is
> not something that I will ever love, and it is not something I will ever
> be passionate about (with just about two exceptions, and I will go into
> why in a bit- I think). I work for one thing, and one thing only, like
> I said. To finance my living.
>
> I have goals. I have a -list- of goals, a copy of which I keep in my
> wallet (which reminds me, it is old and tattered, and needs to be
> recopied by now). They range from things like seeing my best friend
> graduate from college (it has been a long and arduous road for her) to
> hiking the Pacific Crest Trail, and climbing the mountains in the
> Cascade Range, and a multitude of things in between. As you can see,
> unless I work for National Geographic or the Discovery Channel, they are
> in no way related to pretty much any job I may have. In those rare
> moments when I wonder why in the world I am doing whatever work I am
> supposed to be doing, I just have to look at (or any more, think about,
> as I memorized it long ago) that list and I know.
>
> Career goals? Who cares? You know why companies like people like that
> so much? Because they are easy to manipulate into working the long
> hours and going the extra mile for the same pay as everyone else. Make
> no mistake. The days of company loyalty to its employees is long past.
> They reward you for -their- benefit, not yours.
<snip>
> A career, your friends, your family, your own life. You have to decide
> what is most important to you. Something to keep in mind tho. Have you
> ever seen things like 'he enjoyed his life too much', 'he spent too much
> time with his family', or 'he did not spend enough time at work' written
> on a tombstone, or in an epitaph?
>
> If your job were so great, it would not be called 'work'.
>
> Now quit observating and go out there and do something.

Hawkie..., I know we don't know each other very much, but I guess I should
start to tell a little bit about me to you at least, so you don't feel all
pissed at me (our foci are really different). Career is only "a" missing
piece of anyone's puzzle, and it's not everything, which I think you must
have mistaken it as something I was suggesting. Love to someone (to your
love one, friends, family, et al) is another. It is never, by itself, the
complete part of life.

Of course, everyone has some different assortments of what they want to
accomplish in life, and unfortunately, I have nothing else I could do right
now except using work as the intrument of making my life fuller. This
thread was never meant to be an inquiry of any specific individual's life
worth with association with their jobs, but I just want to ask what do you
guys think about jobs and life.

I guess what I wanted to accompalish was, I wanted you guys to tell me what
other views you guys could see in the relationship of the two that I
couldn't see, and therefore, feeling better that my focus was really too
narrowminded. Anyways, it's a good material for the novel. People have to
ask that question sometime in their life time, you know. Having it written
down in a presentational way and let other people read it would help
someone who is in the same boat, you see.

Heck, I guess it's just another one of the bad attempts to get some
attention. Yeah, I could just go out hiking and stuff, but it's just not
the same doing it by myself (which I've done a million times, wandering
about mindlessly, but the magic won't be there if doing it alone you see).

I guess my self worth is so low that I need to do some job to prove
myself.... Sorry if that bothers you, but that's just what I need to do
right now so my mind will be straightened out. Everyone is a little
different, you see.... I only asked to know your mindset, not really some
criticism. I hope I didn't sound rude.

--
Ashikaga a26