Dual boot with Win2k and XP problem, checking on solution

RE

Greetings. I have a Win2k installation that's fine, but I need to install
XP in order to run some games. I've heard that XP is respectful of Win2k if
you install XP last. However, when I installed xp -- putting it on its own
small partition -- selecting Win 2k from the boot options prompted a missing
file message. XP would load ok.

I've looked around and it seems that the solution is to keep the XP-produced
boot.ini file, but replace the ntldr and ntdetect.com files that XP
installed with the same files from the pre service pack 1 XP. I've done
this and it seems to work. Is this the best solution? Am I running any
risks? Thanks.

Hi,

if it's working, don't fix it. Frankly, it shouldn't matter which version of
ntldr and ntdetect.com are used so long as they are from XP and not W2K.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone