Really. beware them. I heard that people long thought dead return on
such a day.

Yes, folks, or at least those of you who still remember me, it's Lumina
Dragon, returned from the abyss (not THAT one) to grace you with his
presence (but not presents, although he is bringing something for you)
after what must have been over two solid years, possibly three, of absence.

You see, I found this shiny rock out in my backyard, and one thing led
to the next, and you know how THAT is.

OK, OK, what reapply happened is that first my ISP's newsserver stopped
carrying this group. Then, after months of frustrated attempts to
return, I sort of got distracted by other stuff. Every so often I tried
againl, but only now, under the prodding of one Claus Dragon, who was
armed with knowledge of what I was doing wrong and where I could find a
decent newsserver, have I finally succeeded.

So. Who's still here? Paulon? Phid? I see some familiar names - erimess,
Optician, Sammy, Lost, and I presume if I bothered to scroll down I'd
find more.

Nice to see that this place defied the odds. You guys been complaining
for years that the place was dying, and I'm gone for a while, and it's
still here when I get back.

Oh, and lest I forget, there's that thing I promised in the second
paragraph. My present.

ULTIMATE JEOPARDY VI!

A shame I can't call it "Annual" anymore, but what can I do? Those of
you familiar with the game, rejoice at its return! Newcomers, keep an
eye out for the Rules Post later today (actually, all of you should; a
refresher might be in order). I expect to start the game proper the
weekend after this coming one - the intervening time being granted to
let knowledge of the game circulate and bring people out of the
woodwork. Plus, I foresee having to refamiliarize myself with this
place, get back into the swing of things and all. And lastly, I'm sure a
10-day grace period will allow the slackers among you to study your
Ultima lore and hope for some semblance of preparedness.

Again, sorry for the long and unannounced absence - I am, after all, the
one who swore he'd never leave - and a hearty hail and well met to all
you people I left behind so very long ago.

-Lumina Dragon

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:16:56 -0500, Lumina Dragon <kewhitte@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Really. beware them. I heard that people long thought dead return on
>such a day.
>
>Yes, folks, or at least those of you who still remember me, it's Lumina
>Dragon, returned from the abyss (not THAT one) to grace you with his
>presence (but not presents, although he is bringing something for you)
>after what must have been over two solid years, possibly three, of absence.

Yay! Welcome back!

>You see, I found this shiny rock out in my backyard, and one thing led
>to the next, and you know how THAT is.
>
>OK, OK, what reapply happened is that first my ISP's newsserver stopped
>carrying this group. Then, after months of frustrated attempts to
>return, I sort of got distracted by other stuff. Every so often I tried
>againl, but only now, under the prodding of one Claus Dragon, who was
>armed with knowledge of what I was doing wrong and where I could find a
>decent newsserver, have I finally succeeded.

..ua? Isn't that in the Ukraine or is my memory failing me?

>So. Who's still here? Paulon? Phid? I see some familiar names - erimess,
>Optician, Sammy, Lost, and I presume if I bothered to scroll down I'd
>find more.

I'm not here. Or rather, you're not here. You are all figments of my
undigested dinner. Wait, I think I used that one in the last year
already.

>Nice to see that this place defied the odds. You guys been complaining
>for years that the place was dying, and I'm gone for a while, and it's
>still here when I get back.

I never said that. What did Pinhead say? USENET is Forever!!

>Oh, and lest I forget, there's that thing I promised in the second
>paragraph. My present.
>
>ULTIMATE JEOPARDY VI!

Oh lord. *drops thread in haste*

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Polychromic wrote:

> Yay! Welcome back!

Glad to be back.

> .ua? Isn't that in the Ukraine or is my memory failing me?

So I'm told, and the load times seem to agree. Ugh. Especially when it
started timing out. Switched to this. Working faster.

>> Oh, and lest I forget, there's that thing I promised in the second
paragraph. My present.

>> ULTIMATE JEOPARDY VI!
>

> Oh lord. *drops thread in haste*

Heh. Let's see if the rules post will go through now.

-Lumina Dragon

Lumina Dragon wrote:

> Again, sorry for the long and unannounced absence - I am, after all, the
> one who swore he'd never leave - and a hearty hail and well met to all
> you people I left behind so very long ago.

Cool. Welcome back.

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org

Words to the wise, Lumina Dragon <kewhitte@hotmail.com> wrote:

Ping.

Welcome back, Lumina.

Lumina Dragon wrote:

> Again, sorry for the long and unannounced absence - I am, after all, the
> one who swore he'd never leave - and a hearty hail and well met to all
> you people I left behind so very long ago.
>
> -Lumina Dragon

Welcome back.

--
Helgraf Dragon .sigless

thehawk

Distinguished
May 19, 2003

In article <1113445538.19809f22a5b391fc2153091f94e267f7@teranews>,
helgraf@ultima-dragons.org says...
> Lumina Dragon wrote:
>
> > Again, sorry for the long and unannounced absence - I am, after all, the
> > one who swore he'd never leave - and a hearty hail and well met to all
> > you people I left behind so very long ago.
> >
> > -Lumina Dragon
>
> Welcome back.

Your dreams were your ticket out.

-thehawk
Fallen Angel Dragon, UDIC

Lumina Dragon the Fighting Wet Swashbuckler of Honor wrote:
>Really. beware them. I heard that people long thought dead return on
>such a day.

Actually, more like Saint George's day, according to Bram Stoker, that
is April 23rd, a little farther off than April 15th, however orthodox
SG'sd (the one talked about in Dracula) occurs in May.

>Yes, folks, or at least those of you who still remember me, it's Lumina
>Dragon, returned from the abyss (not THAT one) to grace you with his
>presence (but not presents, although he is bringing something for you)
>after what must have been over two solid years, possibly three, of absence.

Hurray. It is good to see you again.

>You see, I found this shiny rock out in my backyard, and one thing led
>to the next, and you know how THAT is.

Yes, you would think Britannians could learn to save themselves.

>Again, sorry for the long and unannounced absence - I am, after all, the
>one who swore he'd never leave - and a hearty hail and well met to all
>you people I left behind so very long ago.

Yeah, I was very upset with you leaving after you promised not to. We
have suffered some attrition in your absence, but we soldier on.
--
d e+ N- T- Om++ UK!1!2!3!4!56A78!9 u uC uF- uG+ uLB+ uA nC nR nH+ nP
nI+ nPT nS+ nT- y- a25, Captain in the Cinnaguard, Weirdo, Blue Bow

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 22:28:15 GMT, Saint George's Dragon
<firstname_lastname@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>Actually, more like Saint George's day, according to Bram Stoker, that
>is April 23rd, a little farther off than April 15th, however orthodox
>SG'sd (the one talked about in Dracula) occurs in May.

That is a supremely important day.

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
RGCUD Photo Gallery: http://home.comcast.net/~rgcud/

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:45:53 -0500, Lumina Dragon
<kewhitte@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Polychromic wrote:
>

> > Yay! Welcome back!
>

>Glad to be back.

Glad to have you back. <glares at claus - "YOU did this to us!!">

Oh, I meant, really really good to have you back.

Speaking of films, anyone planning to go see the new Hitchiker's Guide
To The Galaxy?

> > .ua? Isn't that in the Ukraine or is my memory failing me?
>

>So I'm told, and the load times seem to agree. Ugh. Especially when it
>started timing out. Switched to this. Working faster.
>
> >> Oh, and lest I forget, there's that thing I promised in the second
>paragraph. My present.
> >>
> >> ULTIMATE JEOPARDY VI!
> >

> > Oh lord. *drops thread in haste*
>

>Heh. Let's see if the rules post will go through now.
>
> -Lumina Dragon

<peers up>
Durn looks like it did.

These thinds really are fun to watch.
There, see - I've out-typoed you already! :)
-=UDIC=-
Optician Dragon
"Life Is Like A Can Of Tuna Fish - Sometimes It's Good, Sometimes It's Not So Good"
-Alfred E. Neumann

Eek! Lumina Dragon wrote:
> Really. beware them. I heard that people long thought dead return on
> such a day.

Ooh hoo! Lumina is back!

--
Ashikaga a26

<snip>

*...the three return from Tokyo*

Welcome back.

--
The Triad
User of 'Thingamajig!'

Words to the wise, Optician Dragon <DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:45:53 -0500, Lumina Dragon
><kewhitte@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Polychromic wrote:
>>

>> > Yay! Welcome back!
>>

>>Glad to be back.
>

>Glad to have you back. <glares at claus - "YOU did this to us!!">

I am so sorry.

>Oh, I meant, really really good to have you back.

I am so glad, I mean :)

>Speaking of films, anyone planning to go see the new Hitchiker's Guide
>To The Galaxy?

Read a review about it written by a journalist who saw a sneak
preview. Bad, bad bad.

He even gave some examples what they did to the movie. Basically, they
cut some time by removing the punch line for a few jokes and did some
other changes which all are a pile of dog excrement in my opinion.

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 20:42:49 -0700, thehawk
<thehawk5150at@hotmaildot.com> wrote:

>In article <1113445538.19809f22a5b391fc2153091f94e267f7@teranews>,
>helgraf@ultima-dragons.org says...
>> Lumina Dragon wrote:
>>
>> > Again, sorry for the long and unannounced absence - I am, after all, the
>> > one who swore he'd never leave - and a hearty hail and well met to all
>> > you people I left behind so very long ago.
>> >
>> > -Lumina Dragon
>>
>> Welcome back.
>
>Your dreams were your ticket out.

Do you have a note from your mother?
-=UDIC=-
Optician Dragon
"Life Is Like A Can Of Tuna Fish - Sometimes It's Good, Sometimes It's Not So Good"
-Alfred E. Neumann

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 09:33:03 +0200, Claus Dragon
<claus@ultima-dragons.org> wrote:

>Words to the wise, Optician Dragon <DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:45:53 -0500, Lumina Dragon
>><kewhitte@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>>Glad to be back.
>>

>>Glad to have you back. <glares at claus - "YOU did this to us!!">
>
>I am so sorry.
>
>>Oh, I meant, really really good to have you back.
>
>I am so glad, I mean :)
>
>>Speaking of films, anyone planning to go see the new Hitchiker's Guide
>>To The Galaxy?
>
>Read a review about it written by a journalist who saw a sneak
>preview. Bad, bad bad.
>
>He even gave some examples what they did to the movie. Basically, they
>cut some time by removing the punch line for a few jokes and did some
>other changes which all are a pile of dog excrement in my opinion.

I was happy enough with the first one, cheesy effects and all. I see
Zaphod now has only one head, but apparently three arms.The one
improvement is Marvin.

Saint George's Dragon wrote:
> Lumina Dragon the Fighting Wet Swashbuckler of Honor wrote:
>
>>Really. beware them. I heard that people long thought dead return on
>>such a day.
>

> Actually, more like Saint George's day, according to Bram Stoker, that
> is April 23rd, a little farther off than April 15th, however orthodox
> SG'sd (the one talked about in Dracula) occurs in May.

Who said anything about the 15th? I'm talking about the Ides of APril,
the day I returned.

>>You see, I found this shiny rock out in my backyard, and one thing led
>>to the next, and you know how THAT is.
>

> Yes, you would think Britannians could learn to save themselves.

One would think. But seeing as I've been replaying UW1 lately, that
seems not to be the case.

>>Again, sorry for the long and unannounced absence - I am, after all, the
>>one who swore he'd never leave - and a hearty hail and well met to all
>>you people I left behind so very long ago.
>

> Yeah, I was very upset with you leaving after you promised not to. We
> have suffered some attrition in your absence, but we soldier on.

My apologies. I'd like to say it won't happen again, but given that I
didn't expect it the first time...

Still, theoretically it won't happen again.

-Lumina Dragon

The Triad wrote:
> <snip>
>
> *...the three return from Tokyo*
>
> Welcome back.

The Three? Aren't those those liches in UW2?

-Lumina Dragon

OK. Time for the obligatory what-I've-been-doing-lately post.

Well, nigh on a year ago, after much frustration, I actually succeeded
in my largely-fruitless job hunt. Took me long enough, but every time
there was an opening somewhere, someone else seemed to be the one to get
hired. And with my limited transportation options (no car, because no
money for car, because no job...), things were stagnating there for a
long time.

Alas, this job is hardly a stellar find - VERY part time. But it is at
least a foot in the door with which I can gain leverage for a real job.

In my copious free time, I'm still as I always was - an RPGamer through
and through. Been playing various PS2 titles - including a few NON-RPGs,
amazing as that may seem. The PS2 has some that appealed to me.

Early last fall, my brother got a new computer, and so I finally
upgraded from the Packard Bell that I believe I had even back before I
vainished here to a hand-me-down Gateway that was... well, LESS
outdated. 19 GB HD space, 128 megs RAM, forget its processor type but
believe it was somewhere in the 500s range in MHz, and a Voodoo3
Graphics card.

Then around the end of January - this year - its video card died,
although it took days of me asking the computer-knowledge-like people
Weyrside before we came to that conclusion. Upon going to get it
replaced, we saw that the cheapest ones at the store were $81.

Then the unthinkable happened: In an astounding move, my aunt offered to
chartge a new machine and I'd pay her back on the installment plan (had
to be her since I have no cards). And so it came to pass that I now have
something called a Medion M3 Composer 5200, with some very impressive
specs that I can't quite parrot since the label is on the far side of
the tower and abysmally illuminated. And it asked me to name it when I
first set it up - first time I ever got to do this with a computer,
although I hear the people on the Weyrmount talk about it all the time.
After much thought, I named it Cullinane. Cookie to the first to get the
reference.

Now, I'm sure that it's not the best machine out on the market, and I'm
doubly sure that it's no match for custom machines at all, but it's
better than what I had by far, and as my job is not the most profitable,
I wasn't in a position to be picky. I'm going to be paying this off
almost the rest of the year as it is, unless I get that job upgrade
right quick.

Still. This machine is probably strong enough now to run the one Ultima
game I possess yet have not beat, or even played, because of its reqs.
You know the one.

But that is not just yet. (Still - anticipate its inclusion somewhere in
Ultimate Jeopardy VII next year. Probably.) Right now, I've been playing
Ultima Underworld again - I'm poised at the stairs down to level 6, have
four Talismans, and it's only the beginning of day 3 - and Baldur's
Gate. Seems I got B'sG2 (complete with expansion) for Christmas, which
was incentive enough to install the first once more and finally beat the
game. Back on the Packard Bell, I had to uninstall it for space reasons,
along with Torment, and I had beat neither. Now, I forget what I was
doing in Torment, but I was in Ch7 of Bal's Gate. However, as years had
passed since that time, I figured a copmlete refresher course was in
order. I hadn't gotten very far by the time the Gateway's graphics card
died, but since starting (again) on Cullinane, I'm up to chapter 4.
Dallying a bit with side stuff before heading into the Cloakwood though.

And SPEAKING of things I got for Christmas this past year, Bal's Gate II
isn't the only item of particular interest. I finally got the three core
books to 3.5 edition D&D. I'd been stuck in 2nd ed untill then.
ACtually, I still am, since I haven't gotten to perusing the rules, much
less learning them. But at least now I will be able to peruse them,
whereas before I could not.

And one more item of my doings which may be of interest -- this very
year, after having this book sit unread, daunting me with its
massiveness, for over an entire YEAR... I have finally begun that most
celebrated work of high fantasy, Lord of the Rings. I figure, it's fifty
years old now, I should probably get around to reading it.

So.... as you can see, my life is pretty much as you last saw it, just
slightly improved.

Still. A slight improvement is still an improvement, and it's somewhere
to start. My view is that the inertia of my stagnation has finally
broken, and with a bit of effort, I can get it to pick up momentum.
Wouldn't that be nice?

-Lumina Dragon

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 23:21:03 -0500, Lumina Dragon <kewhitte@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>died, but since starting (again) on Cullinane, I'm up to chapter 4.
>Dallying a bit with side stuff before heading into the Cloakwood though.

I liked BG1. :)

>And SPEAKING of things I got for Christmas this past year, Bal's Gate II
>isn't the only item of particular interest. I finally got the three core
>books to 3.5 edition D&D. I'd been stuck in 2nd ed untill then.
>ACtually, I still am, since I haven't gotten to perusing the rules, much
>less learning them. But at least now I will be able to peruse them,
>whereas before I could not.

Dungeons and Dragons Online has recently opened up a beta test. You ought
to apply perhaps.

>And one more item of my doings which may be of interest -- this very
>year, after having this book sit unread, daunting me with its
>massiveness, for over an entire YEAR... I have finally begun that most
>celebrated work of high fantasy, Lord of the Rings. I figure, it's fifty
>years old now, I should probably get around to reading it.

Well, no wonder you've had bad luck! Being a RPGer without having read
LoTR is like going out in public without wearing any pants.

>So.... as you can see, my life is pretty much as you last saw it, just
>slightly improved.
>
>Still. A slight improvement is still an improvement, and it's somewhere
>to start. My view is that the inertia of my stagnation has finally
>broken, and with a bit of effort, I can get it to pick up momentum.
>Wouldn't that be nice?

Yes, congratulations. :)

--

Eek! Lumina Dragon wrote:
> OK. Time for the obligatory what-I've-been-doing-lately post.
>
> Well, nigh on a year ago, after much frustration, I actually succeeded
> in my largely-fruitless job hunt. Took me long enough, but every time
> there was an opening somewhere, someone else seemed to be the one to get
> hired. And with my limited transportation options (no car, because no
> money for car, because no job...), things were stagnating there for a
> long time.

Oh, I hear you. I was out of work for 1.5 years myself and it ain't fun.
Gardening filled the blank, but most people don't love flowers as much as I
do.

> Alas, this job is hardly a stellar find - VERY part time. But it is at
> least a foot in the door with which I can gain leverage for a real job.

Think this way, at least your shift is short enough that you won't grow any
emotion detestment with the job.

<snip>
> And SPEAKING of things I got for Christmas this past year, Bal's Gate II
> isn't the only item of particular interest. I finally got the three core
> books to 3.5 edition D&D. I'd been stuck in 2nd ed untill then.
> ACtually, I still am, since I haven't gotten to perusing the rules, much
> less learning them. But at least now I will be able to peruse them,
> whereas before I could not.

Nobody play D&D with me, so I think I need to sell my player's handbook,
which I sort of procrastinated a little bit.

<snip>
> So.... as you can see, my life is pretty much as you last saw it, just
> slightly improved.

That's good. At least you didn't degenerate into a brain-dead person who
keeps speaking nonsensical stuff that nobody could find it coherent. Mind
you, iAshi is a state-of-the-art artificial intelligence running on
Windows(tm), and is free of virus and bugs. FYI, he is still virgin, and
most likely he would stay this way for the rest of his life from the look
of it.... Bah! I'm rambling again.

> Still. A slight improvement is still an improvement, and it's somewhere
> to start. My view is that the inertia of my stagnation has finally
> broken, and with a bit of effort, I can get it to pick up momentum.
> Wouldn't that be nice?

Yes, everyone has to have a head start. I guess we could encourage each
other. For a better future! (*cheers*)

--
Ashikaga a26

<kewhitte@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Then the unthinkable happened: In an astounding move, my aunt offered to
>chartge a new machine and I'd pay her back on the installment plan (had
>to be her since I have no cards). And so it came to pass that I now have
>something called a Medion M3 Composer 5200, with some very impressive
>specs that I can't quite parrot since the label is on the far side of
>the tower and abysmally illuminated. And it asked me to name it when I
>first set it up - first time I ever got to do this with a computer,
>although I hear the people on the Weyrmount talk about it all the time.
>After much thought, I named it Cullinane. Cookie to the first to get the
>reference.

Darn, I want a cookie, but don't get it. I've seen the Medion machines
advertised at the local Aldi's grocery chain. They seem to have
impressive specs for the $ and are German made, I believe.

>Now, I'm sure that it's not the best machine out on the market, and I'm
>doubly sure that it's no match for custom machines at all, but it's
>better than what I had by far, and as my job is not the most profitable,
>I wasn't in a position to be picky. I'm going to be paying this off
>almost the rest of the year as it is, unless I get that job upgrade
>right quick.
>
>Still. This machine is probably strong enough now to run the one Ultima
>game I possess yet have not beat, or even played, because of its reqs.
>You know the one.

Um,,the one you need the fan upgrade patches for?

>So.... as you can see, my life is pretty much as you last saw it, just
>slightly improved.
>
>Still. A slight improvement is still an improvement, and it's somewhere
>to start. My view is that the inertia of my stagnation has finally
>broken, and with a bit of effort, I can get it to pick up momentum.
>Wouldn't that be nice?
>
> -Lumina Dragon

Inertia can be a forceful thing. Good luck!

"Lumina Dragon" <kewhitte@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The Triad wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>> *...the three return from Tokyo*
>>
>> Welcome back.
>>

> The Three? Aren't those those liches in UW2?

*thinks; blinks* You're right. Hrm. Probably just something important
about the number three... and there are only so many terms you can think up
to use for three individuals.

--
The Triad
User of 'Thingamajig!'

The Triad wrote:
> "Lumina Dragon" <kewhitte@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>The Triad wrote:
>>
>>><snip>
>>>
>>>*...the three return from Tokyo*
>>>
>>>Welcome back.
>>>

>>The Three? Aren't those those liches in UW2?
>

> *thinks; blinks* You're right. Hrm. Probably just something important
> about the number three... and there are only so many terms you can think up
> to use for three individuals.

OK. Let's see if my memory has not totally gone AWOL...

Lethe.... Lord Umbria........ .... .. OK, i can't remember the other.

-Lumina Dragon

Heehee.

> it's Lumina Dragon, returned from the abyss (not THAT one) to grace you
> with his presence

Great, now maybe you'll have less time to pester us on Weyr. ;>

Just kidding, just kidding...

-----
Infinitron Dragon ( not back, not that I was ever *really* here anyway )

Tovi Almozlino wrote:
> Heehee.
>

>>it's Lumina Dragon, returned from the abyss (not THAT one) to grace you
>>with his presence
>

> Great, now maybe you'll have less time to pester us on Weyr. ;>
>
> Just kidding, just kidding...
>
> -----
> Infinitron Dragon ( not back, not that I was ever *really* here anyway )

You know me better than that. Connecting to Weyr is the first thing I do
when I hop online, and logging off the last before I go offline. I am
doing this WHILE I am on the Weyrmount.

And furthermore, having posted on the NG, you can expect me to keep you
here, so MUAH!

-Lumina Dragon