Concerns for windows 7 oem

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadmanning222

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
so i bought the windows 7 oem for my computer that i built myself and only has linux on it right now but ive been doing some reading and heard about the eula for microsoft and someone said it takes ALL of your system specs and not just the motherboard, can anyone confirm or deny this? because im still about to get a gpu but the windows will be installed by then can anyone tell me what to do?

chadmanning222

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011

thats what i thought but i read an amazon review that said the microsoft eula condition would soon take affect (and this was back in 2011) and it said microsoft would require you to send all system info . are you running an currnet win 7 oem you have recently installed?

where i read:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R1XA40KBLZ4CU4/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg5?ie=UTF8&asin=B004Q0PT3I&cdForum=Fx6F5DMOQ10DXL&cdPage=5&cdThread=Tx3UWYG2ANT2ZJJ&store=software#wasThisHelpful

sindawi

Honorable
May 3, 2012
CPU Motherboard and HardDrive are the only items included in the hardware code. You can change graphics cards all day long with no issues. and if you do end up needed to change your motherboard cpu or harddrive you can reauth windows 3 times before you would need to make a 5 min call to MS and speak with their automated license reset service which would give you a new product id and allow you to keep using your license. there is zero issues with what your trying to do.

chadmanning222

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011

ok going off that not anytime soon but i actually do plan on ugrading my i3 to an i5 so in that case i would have to call microsoft?

Depends -- sometimes the change will not affect the activation and the system will just update the code in the background to match the new components -- other times depending on what else has been changed in the past it will cancel the activation and you will need to once again run the product activation wizard to reactivate ( can usually be done online ) -- If you've done it several times already then it might fail which then requires you do the phone activation process (you Dial the phone number given when online fails - a computer answers the phone and you key in your product code - the computer then verifies the code you entered and gives you a response code that you type in the system and it activates -- If for some reason that fails (perhaps you type something incorrect or have changed several times in the past and the server denies the activation) - you then are put into contact a live rep and talk with them (give them the product code and answer a couple questions) and they will manually give you a new working code ( Unless you've upgraded the MOBO which technically invalidates the license unless it was done due to a failure or defect in the MOBO in which case the replacement must be the exact model unless it is unavailable) NOTE : In the past even switching the MOBO has not been a problem as long as you explained the old system was no longer in use but that is questionable and they may or may not reactivate depending on who you are talking to and what kind of mood they are in !!

ram1009

Distinguished
This isn't that complicated. The only thing you can't change in your OEM computer is the MB. If you change that you need a new KEY. Personally, I couldn't care less if Microsoft or Barack Obama know what's inside my computer. I also know there's no way of keeping it secret unless I unplug my ISP.

chadmanning222

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011

i dont care either but if it makes it so i cant add or replace anything then i want to do something about it

ebbote59

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
Microsoft doesn't even care if you change the mobo, I've done it 3 times on this computer, called them up, got an activation
code, had to explain nothing, I just told them I upgraded my computer. Went from intel to gigabyte to asus mobos. I will stay
with Asus.

Hi :)

Oh yes they do care..lol its money to them....

I have used the activation line hundreds and hundreds of times....

Works around 70 to 80 % ...the other 20 to 30% ...NEW Windows key has to be bought...

So roughly around a one third chance of it failing...

All the best Brett )

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Your copy of Windows is locked to the PC on which you purchased it. You cannot transfer that license to another PC.
You can upgrade any components or peripherals on your PC and keep your license intact. You can replace the motherboard with an identical model or an equivalent model from the OEM if it fails. However, if you personally replace or upgrade the motherboard, your OEM Windows license is null and void.

Status
Not open for further replies.