Viewing all programs from start menu

I have many programs on my computer. With XP Pro and a screen display
at 1024X768, I cannot see all my programs when I click the All Programs
button.

I can see three columns of programs, but that is all. I have a fourth
column that does not show up.

The only way I have been able to see the fourth column is to reduce the
type size, or change the screen resolution. both these solutions cause
more problems than they help.

Is there any way to set options on the program listing? Any other
helpful suggestions.

TIA
RJ
4 answers Last reply
More about viewing programs start menu

    Are you interested in the Classic display?

    Start
    Settings
    Task Bar and Start Menu
    Start Menu tab
    Classic Start Menu

    --
    Don
    Vancouver, USA

    arjay wrote:
    > I have many programs on my computer. With XP Pro and a screen display
    > at 1024X768, I cannot see all my programs when I click the All
    > Programs button.
    >
    > I can see three columns of programs, but that is all. I have a fourth
    > column that does not show up.
    >
    > The only way I have been able to see the fourth column is to reduce
    > the type size, or change the screen resolution. both these solutions
    > cause more problems than they help.
    >
    > Is there any way to set options on the program listing? Any other
    > helpful suggestions.

    You could organize things.. You have let it become cluttered.
    The Start Menu is a graphical representation of the folders found at

    - C:\Documents and Settings\YOURUSERNAME\Start Menu\
    and
    - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\

    If you clean up the way those folders look, then your start menu will be
    cleaned up. For example.. Create Categories and place things into it
    (Folders..)

    - Applications
    - Microsoft Office
    - Adobe Photoshop
    - Ahead Nero
    - Games
    - Solitaire
    - World of Warcraft
    - Everquest II
    - Internet
    - Internet Explorer
    - Outlook Express
    - Mozilla Firefox
    - Utilities
    - Avast! Antivirus
    - Belarc Advisor
    - Lavasoft Ad-Aware
    - Spybot Search and Destroy
    - SpywareBlaster

    Something like that. Know that if you create a folder under the all users
    start menu and another with the same name under youusername's start menu -
    they will combine when you click on the start button - at least it will look
    like they do on the start button.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    If arjay wasn't already using classic display, he would have arrows to see
    additional programs, not have columns of programs.
    --
    Ron Sommer

    "Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote in message
    > Are you interested in the Classic display?
    >
    > Start
    > Settings
    > Task Bar and Start Menu
    > Start Menu tab
    > Classic Start Menu
    >

    > --
    > Don
    > Vancouver, USA
    >

    > "arjay" <vidman99-gg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>I have many programs on my computer. With XP Pro and a screen display
    >> at 1024X768, I cannot see all my programs when I click the All Programs
    >> button.
    >>
    >> I can see three columns of programs, but that is all. I have a fourth
    >> column that does not show up.
    >>
    >> The only way I have been able to see the fourth column is to reduce the
    >> type size, or change the screen resolution. both these solutions cause
    >> more problems than they help.
    >>
    >> Is there any way to set options on the program listing? Any other
    >> helpful suggestions.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> RJ

    Don: If you can't view all your Programs in your Start Menu because you have
    too many for the screen area you may put them into one column and then be
    able to scroll through the entire list.

    Right click on the Start button. Click Properties. If the XP version of
    Start Menu has the dot,
    Click Customize then click on the Advanced tab. Scroll through the "Start
    menu items" panel until you locate the "Scroll Programs" entry. Enter a
    checkmark to be able to scroll down and see all the programs. Hit Okay.

    If the Classic Start Menu has the dot, Click Customize and in the "Advanced
    Start menu options" scroll down to "Scroll Programs" and enter a checkmark
    to be able to scroll down and see all the programs. Hit Okay.

    To go back to your original setting, simply remove the checkmark. Good Luck.
    Stan

    "arjay" <vidman99-gg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    I have many programs on my computer. With XP Pro and a screen display at
    1024X768, I cannot see all my programs when I click the All Programs button.

    I can see three columns of programs, but that is all. I have a fourth
    column that does not show up.
    The only way I have been able to see the fourth column is to reduce the type
    size, or change the screen resolution. both these solutions cause more
    problems than they help.
    Is there any way to set options on the program listing? Any other helpful
    suggestions.
    RJ

Start Menu Windows XP