Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

making IE safe

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
June 12, 2005 12:16:57 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I'd like to use IE on a more regular basis "but" before I do I'd like to
know how to configure it so that I make it as safe from spyware and
hacking as possible. I have MS anti-spyware and Ad-aware. Are there any
other steps I can take to tighten this browser up? Thanks.

More about : making safe

Anonymous
June 12, 2005 1:15:56 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi James - Take a look at the steps outlined in my Blog, Defending Your
Machine, link in signature below.

--
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
My, Blog Defending Your Machine, here:
http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/

"James" <leushinonospam@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:o MDBx0vbFHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl
> I'd like to use IE on a more regular basis "but" before I do I'd like
> to know how to configure it so that I make it as safe from spyware and
> hacking as possible. I have MS anti-spyware and Ad-aware. Are there
> any other steps I can take to tighten this browser up? Thanks.
June 12, 2005 1:45:18 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Jim Byrd wrote:
> Hi James - Take a look at the steps outlined in my Blog, Defending Your
> Machine, link in signature below.
>
Thank you, everyone. I'll spend the next few hours reading the material
you provided. I appreciate the assistance.
Related resources
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 2:24:21 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

James wrote:
> I'd like to use IE on a more regular basis "but" before I do I'd like
> to know how to configure it so that I make it as safe from spyware and
> hacking as possible. I have MS anti-spyware and Ad-aware. Are there
> any other steps I can take to tighten this browser up? Thanks.

Use Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE 1.06 and Spybot Search and Destroy 1.4 to clean
your PC..
(Yes - update your Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE to the latest version recently
released - not just the definitions.)

Then use Spybot Search and Destroy's immunization feature to start
immunizing your computer.
Then follow up with SpywareBlaster 3.4 protection.
Then follow up with IE-SpyAd immunization.

Do this about once every 30 days.
That and a decent AntiVirus and a Firewall.. You should be relatively safe.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 7:32:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

James wrote:
>
> I'd like to use IE on a more regular basis "but" before I do I'd like to
> know how to configure it so that I make it as safe from spyware and
> hacking as possible. I have MS anti-spyware and Ad-aware. Are there any
> other steps I can take to tighten this browser up? Thanks.

Spyware is most often installed when you install a new application. Your
browser will not protect you from yourself. Read the docs/EULA of any
new program you download and very often it will tell you that spyware
will also be installed. Since most folks dont read the EULA the warning
is often missed.






--
http://www.bootdisk.com/
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 12:50:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On 12 Jun 2005 03:32:05 -0500, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:

|Your |browser will not protect you from yourself.
I have NO anti-spyware.
I have had NO spyware either
But then not even my mother has my REAL email addy &
NO telemarketers EVER call me :) 

Just my 2¢ worth. Larry
Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 12:50:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Larry(LJL269)" <NO@EMAIL.COM> wrote in message
news:D ctna1po1t1plkhlh4vuibbl6b1s6132up@4ax.com...
> On 12 Jun 2005 03:32:05 -0500, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:
>
> |Your |browser will not protect you from yourself.
> I have NO anti-spyware.
> I have had NO spyware either
> But then not even my mother has my REAL email addy &
> NO telemarketers EVER call me :) 
>
> Just my 2¢ worth. Larry
> Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can
> only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.

If you have no antispyware apps how do you know you have no spyware?

Kerry
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 1:25:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Apart from what other expert has suggested also go through:-

Understand and Maintain Security with Internet Explorer

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/security/default.ms...

Working with Internet Explorer 6 Security Settings
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/securit...

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

regards,
ssg MS-MVP
James wrote:

> I'd like to use IE on a more regular basis "but" before I do I'd like to
> know how to configure it so that I make it as safe from spyware and
> hacking as possible. I have MS anti-spyware and Ad-aware. Are there any
> other steps I can take to tighten this browser up? Thanks.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 3:49:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Here's one other suggestion. Stay away when browsing from sites like
geocities yahoo those types where you are looking at free web space Personal
pages. Usually they are OK but often they are used as vectors for Internet
nasties. And look into the hosts file.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"James" <leushinonospam@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:o MDBx0vbFHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> I'd like to use IE on a more regular basis "but" before I do I'd like to
> know how to configure it so that I make it as safe from spyware and
> hacking as possible. I have MS anti-spyware and Ad-aware. Are there any
> other steps I can take to tighten this browser up? Thanks.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 7:30:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

If I haven't had a Cancer test how do I know I don't have Cancer?

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote in message
news:uc7Mg#1bFHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> "Larry(LJL269)" <NO@EMAIL.COM> wrote in message
> news:D ctna1po1t1plkhlh4vuibbl6b1s6132up@4ax.com...
> > On 12 Jun 2005 03:32:05 -0500, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:
> >
> > |Your |browser will not protect you from yourself.
> > I have NO anti-spyware.
> > I have had NO spyware either
> > But then not even my mother has my REAL email addy &
> > NO telemarketers EVER call me :) 
> >
> > Just my 2¢ worth. Larry
> > Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I
can
> > only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.
>
> If you have no antispyware apps how do you know you have no spyware?
>
> Kerry
>
>
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 7:30:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:uLXu8U4bFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> If I haven't had a Cancer test how do I know I don't have Cancer?
>
> --
> George Hester

Exactly my point. If you don't check for something you have no way of
knowing if it exists. Even checking and finding nothing isn't proof. It only
proves that the method you used to check didn't find anything. The absence
of symptoms is a good clue but not proof conclusive. The spyware/cancer
analogy is a good one. Both can hide for long time doing damage, displaying
no symptoms until the damage is so great it becomes obvious. Except in
mathematical theory absolutes are almost always wrong.

Kerry

> _______________________________
> "Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote in message
> news:uc7Mg#1bFHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> "Larry(LJL269)" <NO@EMAIL.COM> wrote in message
>> news:D ctna1po1t1plkhlh4vuibbl6b1s6132up@4ax.com...
>> > On 12 Jun 2005 03:32:05 -0500, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:
>> >
>> > |Your |browser will not protect you from yourself.
>> > I have NO anti-spyware.
>> > I have had NO spyware either
>> > But then not even my mother has my REAL email addy &
>> > NO telemarketers EVER call me :) 
>> >
>> > Just my 2¢ worth. Larry
>> > Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I
> can
>> > only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.
>>
>> If you have no antispyware apps how do you know you have no spyware?
>>
>> Kerry
>>
>>
>
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 10:15:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"no symptoms until the damage is so great it becomes obvious." I think this
is how combating spyware has been for a very long time. It only goes to
show you there really are no good spyware makers or it is true their
objective is to make you reinstall. But remember you may have Cancer for 70
years and not know it and the fix may not be worth the price when you are
90.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote in message
news:uI9pBl4bFHA.1148@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:uLXu8U4bFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > If I haven't had a Cancer test how do I know I don't have Cancer?
> >
> > --
> > George Hester
>
> Exactly my point. If you don't check for something you have no way of
> knowing if it exists. Even checking and finding nothing isn't proof. It
only
> proves that the method you used to check didn't find anything. The absence
> of symptoms is a good clue but not proof conclusive. The spyware/cancer
> analogy is a good one. Both can hide for long time doing damage,
displaying
> no symptoms until the damage is so great it becomes obvious. Except in
> mathematical theory absolutes are almost always wrong.
>
> Kerry
>
> > _______________________________
> > "Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote in message
> > news:uc7Mg#1bFHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> >> "Larry(LJL269)" <NO@EMAIL.COM> wrote in message
> >> news:D ctna1po1t1plkhlh4vuibbl6b1s6132up@4ax.com...
> >> > On 12 Jun 2005 03:32:05 -0500, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:
> >> >
> >> > |Your |browser will not protect you from yourself.
> >> > I have NO anti-spyware.
> >> > I have had NO spyware either
> >> > But then not even my mother has my REAL email addy &
> >> > NO telemarketers EVER call me :) 
> >> >
> >> > Just my 2¢ worth. Larry
> >> > Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but
I
> > can
> >> > only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.
> >>
> >> If you have no antispyware apps how do you know you have no spyware?
> >>
> >> Kerry
> >>
> >>
> >
>
>
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 10:15:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

James wrote:
> I'd like to use IE on a more regular basis "but" before I do I'd
> like to know how to configure it so that I make it as safe from
> spyware and hacking as possible. I have MS anti-spyware and
> Ad-aware. Are there any other steps I can take to tighten this
> browser up? Thanks.

Plato wrote:
> Spyware is most often installed when you install a new application.
> Your browser will not protect you from yourself. Read the docs/EULA
> of any new program you download and very often it will tell you that
> spyware will also be installed. Since most folks dont read the EULA
> the warning is often missed.

Larry(LJL269) wrote:
> Your |browser will not protect you from yourself.
> I have NO anti-spyware.
> I have had NO spyware either
> But then not even my mother has my REAL email addy &
> NO telemarketers EVER call me :) 

Kerry Brown wrote:
> If you have no antispyware apps how do you know you have no
> spyware?

George Hester wrote:
> If I haven't had a Cancer test how do I know I don't have Cancer?

Kerry Brown wrote:
> Exactly my point. If you don't check for something you have no way of
> knowing if it exists. Even checking and finding nothing isn't proof.
> It only proves that the method you used to check didn't find
> anything. The absence of symptoms is a good clue but not proof
> conclusive. The spyware/cancer analogy is a good one. Both can hide
> for long time doing damage, displaying no symptoms until the damage
> is so great it becomes obvious. Except in mathematical theory
> absolutes are almost always wrong.

George Hester wrote:
> "no symptoms until the damage is so great it becomes obvious." I
> think this is how combating spyware has been for a very long time.
> It only goes to show you there really are no good spyware makers or
> it is true their objective is to make you reinstall. But remember
> you may have Cancer for 70 years and not know it and the fix may not
> be worth the price when you are 90.

Well, here's the point of AntiSpyware and AntiVirus applications in my
opinion..
Prevention.

Using your "cancer" example.. One of the reasons (of many) I choose not to
smoke is the fact it increases my chances of lung cancer. Therefore, I am
practicing a form of prevention by not smoking. Not a 100% effective
prevention, but it is something I *can* do (or not do as the case may be.)
Using the car anologies everyone loves to hate around here - I change my oil
and have periodic tune-ups performed on my car to prevent it from breaking
down. Not 100% effective - the car may still break down - but the chances
are lowered if there is fresh oil and good maintenance schedules that are
being followed.

The price of not smoking to help prevent cancer versus the price if I get
cancer and care to fight it? Hmm.. I would guess a large difference -
considering not smoking actually saves me money. The price of changing my
oil/scheduled preventative maintenance on my vehicle versus just fixing it
when it breaks down.. Usually the difference is pretty big - not always
however - depends on the damage. My guess is that without changing the oil,
the dmage would certainly cost more than the oil changes you would have paid
for, though.

So.. It's a choice.

Use the Freeware preventative measures that mostly do not take up any
resources unless running (all the ones I recommend using periodically
anyway) to keep the malware out..

or

Don't and periodically reinstall your system from scratch (redoing all of
your settings and such.)

The latter is not that bad - if you keep good backups and understand the
workings of the operating system fairly well. Some applications (imaging)
can help you with some of this - but there will always be little things you
miss/cannot remember what you used to do.. But if you understood your
system well enough to do all that - you probably used AntiSpyware and
AntiVirus applications and.. well, didn't have to redo your system anyway.
hah

So.. a learning curve for a few non-obtrusive applications to immunize/clean
your system on a periodic (and in most cases - automated) basis or a
learning curve on setting up and reconfiguring your system the way you had
it before the entire mess?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 8:24:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 08:01:33 -0700, "Kerry Brown"
<kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote:

|If you have no antispyware apps how do you know you have no spyware?
Most people take precautions & then assume the lack
of symptoms implies all is OK. Works 4 me 4 health,
car, Thai cathouses, and apparently spyware :) 

My post was composed with levity in mind not accuracy.
Indeed:
1- CA says thier AV now detects spyware which I always
have thier realtime protection on. It blocked 15
unsolicited d/l's in 5 min when I was on a key cracking
site recently. But I had switched 2 my 2nd XP so my
fully functional XP was never at risk. See
Subject: Functions of a Cloned XP
-ID: <t2kia156f9ealfhee77d21fnfkqiolskkl@4ax.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 08:37:37 GMT
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
2- Occasional when I am at any of 3-4 sites I do a
spyware search

So I can say that no spyware does not imply added
software. U can use existing features of IE, XP, &
other strategies to prevent spyware.

Just my 2¢ worth. Larry
Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 8:24:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Larry(LJL269)" <NO@EMAIL.COM> wrote in message
news:mh0qa1hngsf9g6sdg29t0ifeogri2ul7t6@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 08:01:33 -0700, "Kerry Brown"
> <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote:
>
> |If you have no antispyware apps how do you know you have no spyware?
> Most people take precautions & then assume the lack
> of symptoms implies all is OK. Works 4 me 4 health,
> car, Thai cathouses, and apparently spyware :) 
>
> My post was composed with levity in mind not accuracy.
> Indeed:
> 1- CA says thier AV now detects spyware which I always
> have thier realtime protection on. It blocked 15
> unsolicited d/l's in 5 min when I was on a key cracking
> site recently. But I had switched 2 my 2nd XP so my
> fully functional XP was never at risk. See
> Subject: Functions of a Cloned XP
> -ID: <t2kia156f9ealfhee77d21fnfkqiolskkl@4ax.com>
> Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 08:37:37 GMT
> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
> 2- Occasional when I am at any of 3-4 sites I do a
> spyware search
>
> So I can say that no spyware does not imply added
> software. U can use existing features of IE, XP, &
> other strategies to prevent spyware.
>
> Just my 2¢ worth. Larry

I agree you don't need added software to keep your computer reasonably
secure. But making an absolute statement like "I have had no spyware either"
may or may not be true. Without checking for spyware you only know you have
had no symptoms of spyware. I was just making a point that absolute
statements like that can't be proved. While I do agree with you about the
possibility of securing your computer without added software, it is also
true that the added software makes it a lot easier :-)

Kerry


> Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can
> only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 4:13:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Larry(LJL269) wrote:
>
> |Your |browser will not protect you from yourself.
> I have NO anti-spyware.
> I have had NO spyware either

Actually you'd have to run an anti-spyware app to verify that. Of
course, no need to have one running 24/7 if practicing save hex. Still a
good idea to run one now and then anyway. And, if practicing safe hex
the stuff that may show up is most likely to be quite harmless and stuff
that doens't really affect how the system runs. In fact, I'll run my
antispyware apps after updated the .defs perhaps every few months and it
finds some cookies I'm not sure I'd call spyware anyway, perhaps some
overkill in my opinion.

On the other hand, no matter how safe I was, son #1 went through a stage
and used my pc and yeah, the bad stuff was there. So it also depends on
who else uses the computer in question.







--
http://www.bootdisk.com/
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 4:56:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On 14 Jun 2005 00:13:07 -0500, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:

|Actually you'd have to run an anti-spyware app to verify that. Of
|course, no need to have one running 24/7 if practicing save hex. Still a
|good idea to run one now and then anyway. And, if practicing safe hex
|the stuff that may show up is most likely to be quite harmless and stuff
|that doens't really affect how the system runs. In fact, I'll run my
|antispyware apps after updated the .defs perhaps every few months and it
|finds some cookies I'm not sure I'd call spyware anyway, perhaps some
|overkill in my opinion.
|
|On the other hand, no matter how safe I was, son #1 went through a stage
|and used my pc and yeah, the bad stuff was there. So it also depends on
|who else uses the computer in question.

I agree with u.
My post was composed with levity in mind not accuracy.
Indeed:
1- CA says thier AV now detects spyware &I always
have thier realtime protection on. It blocked 15
unsolicited d/l's in 5 min when I was on a key cracking
site recently. But I had switched 2 my 2nd XP so my
fully functional XP was never at risk. See
Subject: Functions of a Cloned XP
-ID: <t2kia156f9ealfhee77d21fnfkqiolskkl@4ax.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 08:37:37 GMT
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
2- Occasional when I am at any of 3-4 sites I do a
spyware search
3-Almost 1/wk I install something & each install I look
at ALL startup locs & investigate new entries.

So I can say that no spyware does not imply added
software. U can use existing features of IE, XP, ZA &
other strategies to prevent spyware. Plus nothing can
protect the gullable from themselves :) 

Just my 2¢ worth. Larry
Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.
!