making IE safe

I'd like to use IE on a more regular basis "but" before I do I'd like to
know how to configure it so that I make it as safe from spyware and
hacking as possible. I have MS anti-spyware and Ad-aware. Are there any
other steps I can take to tighten this browser up? Thanks.
16 answers Last reply
More about making safe

    Hi James - Take a look at the steps outlined in my Blog, Defending Your
    Machine, link in signature below.

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
    My, Blog Defending Your Machine, here:

    Jim Byrd wrote:
    > Hi James - Take a look at the steps outlined in my Blog, Defending Your
    > Machine, link in signature below.

    Thank you, everyone. I'll spend the next few hours reading the material
    you provided. I appreciate the assistance.

    James wrote:
    > I'd like to use IE on a more regular basis "but" before I do I'd like
    > to know how to configure it so that I make it as safe from spyware and
    > hacking as possible. I have MS anti-spyware and Ad-aware. Are there
    > any other steps I can take to tighten this browser up? Thanks.

    Use Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE 1.06 and Spybot Search and Destroy 1.4 to clean
    your PC..
    (Yes - update your Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE to the latest version recently
    released - not just the definitions.)

    Then use Spybot Search and Destroy's immunization feature to start
    immunizing your computer.
    Then follow up with SpywareBlaster 3.4 protection.
    Then follow up with IE-SpyAd immunization.

    Do this about once every 30 days.
    That and a decent AntiVirus and a Firewall.. You should be relatively safe.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    James wrote:

    > I'd like to use IE on a more regular basis "but" before I do I'd like to
    > know how to configure it so that I make it as safe from spyware and
    > hacking as possible. I have MS anti-spyware and Ad-aware. Are there any
    > other steps I can take to tighten this browser up? Thanks.

    Spyware is most often installed when you install a new application. Your
    browser will not protect you from yourself. Read the docs/EULA of any
    new program you download and very often it will tell you that spyware
    will also be installed. Since most folks dont read the EULA the warning
    is often missed.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    On 12 Jun 2005 03:32:05 -0500, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:

    |Your |browser will not protect you from yourself.
    I have NO anti-spyware.
    I have had NO spyware either
    But then not even my mother has my REAL email addy &
    NO telemarketers EVER call me :)

    Just my 2¢ worth. Larry
    Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.

    "Larry(LJL269)" <NO@EMAIL.COM> wrote in message
    > On 12 Jun 2005 03:32:05 -0500, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:
    >
    > |Your |browser will not protect you from yourself.
    > I have NO anti-spyware.
    > I have had NO spyware either
    > But then not even my mother has my REAL email addy &
    > NO telemarketers EVER call me :)
    >
    > Just my 2¢ worth. Larry
    > Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can
    > only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.

    If you have no antispyware apps how do you know you have no spyware?

    Kerry

    Apart from what other expert has suggested also go through:-

    Understand and Maintain Security with Internet Explorer

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/security/default.mspx

    Working with Internet Explorer 6 Security Settings
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/security/settings.mspx

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP
    James wrote:

    > I'd like to use IE on a more regular basis "but" before I do I'd like to
    > know how to configure it so that I make it as safe from spyware and
    > hacking as possible. I have MS anti-spyware and Ad-aware. Are there any
    > other steps I can take to tighten this browser up? Thanks.

    Here's one other suggestion. Stay away when browsing from sites like
    geocities yahoo those types where you are looking at free web space Personal
    pages. Usually they are OK but often they are used as vectors for Internet
    nasties. And look into the hosts file.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    "James" <leushinonospam@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I'd like to use IE on a more regular basis "but" before I do I'd like to
    > know how to configure it so that I make it as safe from spyware and
    > hacking as possible. I have MS anti-spyware and Ad-aware. Are there any
    > other steps I can take to tighten this browser up? Thanks.

    If I haven't had a Cancer test how do I know I don't have Cancer?

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________

    "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > If I haven't had a Cancer test how do I know I don't have Cancer?
    >
    > --
    > George Hester

    Exactly my point. If you don't check for something you have no way of
    knowing if it exists. Even checking and finding nothing isn't proof. It only
    proves that the method you used to check didn't find anything. The absence
    of symptoms is a good clue but not proof conclusive. The spyware/cancer
    analogy is a good one. Both can hide for long time doing damage, displaying
    no symptoms until the damage is so great it becomes obvious. Except in
    mathematical theory absolutes are almost always wrong.

    Kerry

    > _______________________________
    >> "Larry(LJL269)" <NO@EMAIL.COM> wrote in message

    >> > I have NO anti-spyware.
    >> > I have had NO spyware either
    >> > But then not even my mother has my REAL email addy &
    >> > NO telemarketers EVER call me :)
    >> >
    >> > Just my 2¢ worth. Larry
    >> > Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I
    > can
    >> > only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.
    >>
    >> If you have no antispyware apps how do you know you have no spyware?
    >>
    >> Kerry

    "no symptoms until the damage is so great it becomes obvious." I think this
    is how combating spyware has been for a very long time. It only goes to
    show you there really are no good spyware makers or it is true their
    objective is to make you reinstall. But remember you may have Cancer for 70
    years and not know it and the fix may not be worth the price when you are
    90.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________

    George Hester wrote:
    > "no symptoms until the damage is so great it becomes obvious." I
    > think this is how combating spyware has been for a very long time.
    > It only goes to show you there really are no good spyware makers or
    > it is true their objective is to make you reinstall. But remember
    > you may have Cancer for 70 years and not know it and the fix may not
    > be worth the price when you are 90.

    Well, here's the point of AntiSpyware and AntiVirus applications in my
    opinion..
    Prevention.

    Using your "cancer" example.. One of the reasons (of many) I choose not to
    smoke is the fact it increases my chances of lung cancer. Therefore, I am
    practicing a form of prevention by not smoking. Not a 100% effective
    prevention, but it is something I *can* do (or not do as the case may be.)
    Using the car anologies everyone loves to hate around here - I change my oil
    and have periodic tune-ups performed on my car to prevent it from breaking
    down. Not 100% effective - the car may still break down - but the chances
    are lowered if there is fresh oil and good maintenance schedules that are
    being followed.

    The price of not smoking to help prevent cancer versus the price if I get
    cancer and care to fight it? Hmm.. I would guess a large difference -
    considering not smoking actually saves me money. The price of changing my
    oil/scheduled preventative maintenance on my vehicle versus just fixing it
    when it breaks down.. Usually the difference is pretty big - not always
    however - depends on the damage. My guess is that without changing the oil,
    the dmage would certainly cost more than the oil changes you would have paid
    for, though.

    So.. It's a choice.

    Use the Freeware preventative measures that mostly do not take up any
    resources unless running (all the ones I recommend using periodically
    anyway) to keep the malware out..

    or

    Don't and periodically reinstall your system from scratch (redoing all of
    your settings and such.)

    The latter is not that bad - if you keep good backups and understand the
    workings of the operating system fairly well. Some applications (imaging)
    can help you with some of this - but there will always be little things you
    miss/cannot remember what you used to do.. But if you understood your
    system well enough to do all that - you probably used AntiSpyware and
    AntiVirus applications and.. well, didn't have to redo your system anyway.
    hah

    So.. a learning curve for a few non-obtrusive applications to immunize/clean
    your system on a periodic (and in most cases - automated) basis or a
    learning curve on setting up and reconfiguring your system the way you had
    it before the entire mess?

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 08:01:33 -0700, "Kerry Brown"
    <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote:

    |If you have no antispyware apps how do you know you have no spyware?
    Most people take precautions & then assume the lack
    of symptoms implies all is OK. Works 4 me 4 health,
    car, Thai cathouses, and apparently spyware :)

    My post was composed with levity in mind not accuracy.
    Indeed:
    1- CA says thier AV now detects spyware which I always
    have thier realtime protection on. It blocked 15
    unsolicited d/l's in 5 min when I was on a key cracking
    site recently. But I had switched 2 my 2nd XP so my
    fully functional XP was never at risk. See
    Subject: Functions of a Cloned XP
    -ID: <t2kia156f9ealfhee77d21fnfkqiolskkl@4ax.com>
    Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 08:37:37 GMT
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    2- Occasional when I am at any of 3-4 sites I do a
    spyware search

    So I can say that no spyware does not imply added
    software. U can use existing features of IE, XP, &
    other strategies to prevent spyware.

    > On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 08:01:33 -0700, "Kerry Brown"
    > <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote:
    >
    > |If you have no antispyware apps how do you know you have no spyware?
    > Most people take precautions & then assume the lack
    > of symptoms implies all is OK. Works 4 me 4 health,
    > car, Thai cathouses, and apparently spyware :)
    >
    > My post was composed with levity in mind not accuracy.
    > Indeed:
    > 1- CA says thier AV now detects spyware which I always
    > have thier realtime protection on. It blocked 15
    > unsolicited d/l's in 5 min when I was on a key cracking
    > site recently. But I had switched 2 my 2nd XP so my
    > fully functional XP was never at risk. See
    > Subject: Functions of a Cloned XP
    > -ID: <t2kia156f9ealfhee77d21fnfkqiolskkl@4ax.com>
    > Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 08:37:37 GMT
    > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    > 2- Occasional when I am at any of 3-4 sites I do a
    > spyware search
    >
    > So I can say that no spyware does not imply added
    > software. U can use existing features of IE, XP, &
    > other strategies to prevent spyware.
    >
    > Just my 2¢ worth. Larry

    I agree you don't need added software to keep your computer reasonably
    secure. But making an absolute statement like "I have had no spyware either"
    may or may not be true. Without checking for spyware you only know you have
    had no symptoms of spyware. I was just making a point that absolute
    statements like that can't be proved. While I do agree with you about the
    possibility of securing your computer without added software, it is also
    true that the added software makes it a lot easier :-)

    Kerry

    Larry(LJL269) wrote:

    > |Your |browser will not protect you from yourself.
    > I have NO anti-spyware.
    > I have had NO spyware either

    Actually you'd have to run an anti-spyware app to verify that. Of
    course, no need to have one running 24/7 if practicing save hex. Still a
    good idea to run one now and then anyway. And, if practicing safe hex
    the stuff that may show up is most likely to be quite harmless and stuff
    that doens't really affect how the system runs. In fact, I'll run my
    antispyware apps after updated the .defs perhaps every few months and it
    finds some cookies I'm not sure I'd call spyware anyway, perhaps some
    overkill in my opinion.

    On the other hand, no matter how safe I was, son #1 went through a stage
    and used my pc and yeah, the bad stuff was there. So it also depends on
    who else uses the computer in question.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    On 14 Jun 2005 00:13:07 -0500, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:

    |Actually you'd have to run an anti-spyware app to verify that. Of
    |course, no need to have one running 24/7 if practicing save hex. Still a
    |good idea to run one now and then anyway. And, if practicing safe hex
    |the stuff that may show up is most likely to be quite harmless and stuff
    |that doens't really affect how the system runs. In fact, I'll run my
    |antispyware apps after updated the .defs perhaps every few months and it
    |finds some cookies I'm not sure I'd call spyware anyway, perhaps some
    |overkill in my opinion.
    |
    |On the other hand, no matter how safe I was, son #1 went through a stage
    |and used my pc and yeah, the bad stuff was there. So it also depends on
    |who else uses the computer in question.

    I agree with u.
    My post was composed with levity in mind not accuracy.
    Indeed:
    1- CA says thier AV now detects spyware &I always
    Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 08:37:37 GMT
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    2- Occasional when I am at any of 3-4 sites I do a
    spyware search
    3-Almost 1/wk I install something & each install I look
    at ALL startup locs & investigate new entries.

    So I can say that no spyware does not imply added
    software. U can use existing features of IE, XP, ZA &
    other strategies to prevent spyware. Plus nothing can
    protect the gullable from themselves :)

    Just my 2¢ worth. Larry
    Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.

Internet Explorer Windows XP