Is there any regulation on the use of the dts and dolby su..

Last response: in Home Audio
March 19, 2005 3:40:55 AM

I purchased a couple of DVD Audio discs published by a company called
"BCI". On the box, the "dts", "dolby 5.1 surround sound" etc. logo
were printed as big as a quarter. Obviously the logos were intented to
lure buyers who enjoy surround sound and 5.1 music.

When I played the discs, my amp shows that those tracks are indeed
present, there are three tracks. One 2.0 PCM stereo, one 5.1 dolby
surround and the other dts 5.1. The only problem is that on each of
these tracks, only the left and right channel contains any audio data.
All the other channels are silent. Technically the discs DO indeed
encode in the advertized formats, just the contents do not use the
features of the formats.

It is like selling you a Mercedes Benz which don't even have an engine.
The Logo is there, the chassis is there, just no relevant content.

If some movie maker prints a Black and White film on Kodak Technicolor
film media, can he claim his movie is in color?

Is what this BCI company doing even legal? To me, it is obviously a
false advertisement and deliberate misrepresentation to scam consumers.

Does anyone know where I can report this kind of fraudulent business
practice? Would any government agent care? Would Dolby Lab care?

More about : regulation dts dolby

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 5:43:37 AM

"Caloonese" <caloonese@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D 1fsen0168s@news1.newsguy.com...
> I purchased a couple of DVD Audio discs published by a company called
> "BCI". On the box, the "dts", "dolby 5.1 surround sound" etc. logo
> were printed as big as a quarter. Obviously the logos were intented to
> lure buyers who enjoy surround sound and 5.1 music.
>
> When I played the discs, my amp shows that those tracks are indeed
> present, there are three tracks. One 2.0 PCM stereo, one 5.1 dolby
> surround and the other dts 5.1. The only problem is that on each of
> these tracks, only the left and right channel contains any audio data.
> All the other channels are silent. Technically the discs DO indeed
> encode in the advertized formats, just the contents do not use the
> features of the formats.
>
> It is like selling you a Mercedes Benz which don't even have an engine.
> The Logo is there, the chassis is there, just no relevant content.
>
> If some movie maker prints a Black and White film on Kodak Technicolor
> film media, can he claim his movie is in color?
>
> Is what this BCI company doing even legal? To me, it is obviously a
> false advertisement and deliberate misrepresentation to scam consumers.
>
> Does anyone know where I can report this kind of fraudulent business
> practice? Would any government agent care? Would Dolby Lab care?

Is your dvd player a universal or a hybrid? And if so, are you playing
through the multichannel analog outputs of this machine? If you do, and
Dolby Digital and DTS are set in setup to download/decode to PCM, you can
get this phenomenon.

Make sure you can get multichannel on other disks. If you cannot, then your
setup may be the cause.
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 3:48:17 AM

Caloonese wrote:

> I purchased a couple of DVD Audio discs published by a company called
> "BCI". On the box, the "dts", "dolby 5.1 surround sound" etc. logo
> were printed as big as a quarter. Obviously the logos were intented to
> lure buyers who enjoy surround sound and 5.1 music.
>
> When I played the discs, my amp shows that those tracks are indeed
> present, there are three tracks. One 2.0 PCM stereo, one 5.1 dolby
> surround and the other dts 5.1. The only problem is that on each of
> these tracks, only the left and right channel contains any audio data.
> All the other channels are silent. Technically the discs DO indeed
> encode in the advertized formats, just the contents do not use the
> features of the formats.
>
> It is like selling you a Mercedes Benz which don't even have an engine.
> The Logo is there, the chassis is there, just no relevant content.
>
> If some movie maker prints a Black and White film on Kodak Technicolor
> film media, can he claim his movie is in color?
>
> Is what this BCI company doing even legal? To me, it is obviously a
> false advertisement and deliberate misrepresentation to scam consumers.
>
> Does anyone know where I can report this kind of fraudulent business
> practice? Would any government agent care? Would Dolby Lab care?
If you bring it to Dolby's attention, I think they'll definitely care.
BCI is making them look bad. Have you tried looking up better business
bureaus on the net?

CD
!