Opinions Please!

Last response: in Home Audio
March 19, 2005 5:44:19 AM

I'm thinking about selling my Lexicon Dc-1 Version 4 (DTS) and buying the
Outlaw Audio Processor for the following reasons:

6.1 analog inputs with bass management
Component Video switching
Analog pass thru (DC-1 digitizes everything)
Basically an even swap cost wise

BTW, I'm running two hafler dh-500's and one Dh-200 for amps, Dunlavy
Athena's L & R, Dunlavy center (sc-1?) and cheap stuff for the rears.

My first love is music, although I truly enjoy movies/TV in surround. I wish
I could afford the new Lexicon but I just can't right now, the ex made sure
of that!
Thanks In Advance!

More about : opinions

March 19, 2005 7:18:44 PM

Himm wrote:
> I'm thinking about selling my Lexicon Dc-1 Version 4 (DTS) and buying the
> Outlaw Audio Processor for the following reasons:
>
> 6.1 analog inputs with bass management
> Component Video switching
> Analog pass thru (DC-1 digitizes everything)
> Basically an even swap cost wise
>
> BTW, I'm running two hafler dh-500's and one Dh-200 for amps, Dunlavy
> Athena's L & R, Dunlavy center (sc-1?) and cheap stuff for the rears.
>
> My first love is music, although I truly enjoy movies/TV in surround. I wish
> I could afford the new Lexicon but I just can't right now, the ex made sure
> of that!
> Thanks In Advance!

The Outlaw 950 is a couple of years old, so it really does not have the
latest and greatest features. I believe you get a lot more bang for the
buck from the new receivers (used as pre-pros). I would look at the
usual suspects: Harman Kardon, Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha, etc.

One feature I find indispensible for home theater is the ability to add
audio delay to correct for video lip-synch problems. The Outlaw does not
have that feature. Another great feature is the ability to provide
automatic calibration/equalization. Again, the Outlaw lacks this
important feature.
March 20, 2005 6:59:44 PM

"Himm" <fjs61@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
news:D 1g3m302drd@news3.newsguy.com...
> I'm thinking about selling my Lexicon Dc-1 Version 4 (DTS) and buying the
> Outlaw Audio Processor for the following reasons:
<snip>
> My first love is music, although I truly enjoy movies/TV in surround. I
> wish
> I could afford the new Lexicon but I just can't right now, the ex made
> sure
> of that!
> Thanks In Advance!

Well, I'm quite happy with my 950, though I have no experience with the Dc-1
to compare. Similarly, I am constrained for the moment to a single,
all-purpose system, (well, I have two other systems, but older ones)but I
was in the boat of having to replace everything, go from a receiver to
separates, and add surround at the same time. So I've been slowly doing
that, and the Outlaw, IMO, is the best bang for the buck in that price range
and a good bit above - it's also cheaper now than when I bought it. Of
course, I do believe that they'll be rolling out a replacement, maybe within
a year, but it will also undoubtedly be more expensive, so you'll have to
weigh that. (You might want to check the forums at outlawaudio.com as I'm
not up on the latest rumors of time frames or features, though I thought
that balanced outs were being bandied about and maybe HDMI.) All in all,
though, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the 950.

Ed
April 6, 2005 3:56:08 AM

I wrote in message news:D 1k6lg01c6v@news3.newsguy.com...
> "Himm" <fjs61@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message

> course, I do believe that they'll be rolling out a replacement, maybe
> within
> a year,

Or maybe within a month...there is a new message board at the Outlaw Saloon
devoted to the 990, the successor to the 950. They state that it should
start shipping in 30-45 days.

See http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=34 for more.

It seems that they've addressed Chung's concerns as well, and the
introductory price is much lower than I expected. Of course, this also
means that there could be a bunch of 950s on Audiogon soon...

Ed
84HurstOlds@nowherenow.com
!