Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I installed windows 7 on my ssd but put sp1 & updates on slower hdd.

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
August 7, 2012 5:28:29 PM

I don’t want to reload windows and start from scratch, but if it will save me some issues I may just have to.

1. Can I expect to run into slow down issues or errors?
2. Is there an easy fix?
August 7, 2012 5:36:06 PM

rjnpreston said:
I don’t want to reload windows and start from scratch, but if it will save me some issues I may just have to.

1. Can I expect to run into slow down issues or errors?
2. Is there an easy fix?

I apologize as I am not quite sure I understand the question. Did you download SP1 onto the HDD and run it from there? If so, then no worries. When you ran the SP1 from the HDD Windows knew where to update the OS on the SSD. The SP1 did not get installed on HDD. A service pack cannot be "installed" by itself. Hope that answers your question, as I understand it.
m
0
l
August 7, 2012 6:45:58 PM

maui67 said:
I apologize as I am not quite sure I understand the question. Did you download SP1 onto the HDD and run it from there? If so, then no worries. When you ran the SP1 from the HDD Windows knew where to update the OS on the SSD. The SP1 did not get installed on HDD. A service pack cannot be "installed" by itself. Hope that answers your question, as I understand it.


I put win7 on my ssd and when i installed sp1 it was placed on my slower hdd. I was asking if this will cause issue or an overall slower performance.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 7, 2012 6:59:54 PM

SP1 is an intergal part of windows, it can not be put on separate drives.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 7, 2012 7:02:27 PM

As he said above -- even if your download of the service pack was saved to the HDD when you run the install it updates files that are in the OS installation and replaces other files it would not save any of those changed\replaced files anywhere except where the original installation is

The service pack and updates modify or replace existing files in the system files thus it will automatically put them into the same place as the original OS install (your SSD) there is no way to split them into a different place than where the original files are. So you must mean that the downloads of the files were saved to your HDD but once you install them they will be put with the rest of your system files on the SSD.
m
0
l
August 7, 2012 7:07:21 PM

Quote:
I put win7 on my ssd and when i installed sp1 it was placed on my slower hdd. I was asking if this will cause issue or an overall slower performance.


It does not matter where the sp1 installer is, it could be on a CD. When you double click on it and it installs (takes a LOOOOOONG time), it will be installed INSIDE your Windows, which by the way, is in the SSD.

So, in resume, when the sp1 and other updates are installed, they are installed INSIDE your Windows.

You can delete the installers (what you downloaded) after the installation (after 2xclicking and long-waited action), in order to save space in your slower HD. There is NO WAY you can install updates away from Windows. You just have the installers in the HD.

The updates WILL BE installed in the SSD: there is NO OTHER WAY! Therefore your question does not have any alternatives. Just install it, it WILL BE on the SSD. Only the package (that you can delete) will remain on the HD. Am I clear?...
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 7, 2012 7:12:53 PM

rjnpreston said:
I put win7 on my ssd and when i installed sp1 it was placed on my slower hdd. I was asking if this will cause issue or an overall slower performance.


I think what happened is that SP1 was staged to your HDD(uncompressed) and when it actually applied the SP, it applied it to the install on your SDD.
m
0
l
!