Removing Windows Messenger & tune-up.com

How can one remove Windows Messenger from a laptop running Win XP pro? Are
there any negative consequences of doing so?

Also, any comments on www.tune-up.com? Good, bad or ugly!
3 answers Last reply
More about removing windows messenger tune

    http://www.computerlynx.net/remove_messenger.htm
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302089

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Sitara Lal wrote:
    > How can one remove Windows Messenger from a laptop running Win XP pro? Are
    > there any negative consequences of doing so?

    Modify C:\Windows\Inf\Sysoc.inf to remove the word "Hide" from the
    pertinent Windows Components entries. Be sure to leave the two
    surrounding commas in place. (Iow, change the line
    "AccessUtil=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,accessor.inf,hide,7" to read
    "AccessUtil=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,accessor.inf,,7"), and then go to Control
    Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows Components. There will
    be no negative consequences for removing it.

    > Also, any comments on www.tune-up.com? Good, bad or ugly!

    In view of the tools WinXP already has built-in, I'd have to conclude
    that it's probably a waste of money, and a potentially dangerous one at
    that, as it claims to "... solve .... registry problems."

    The registry contains all of the operating system's "knowledge" of
    the computer's hardware devices, installed software, the location of the
    device drivers, and the computer's configuration. A misstep in the
    registry can have severe consequences. One should not even turning
    loose a poorly understood automated "cleaner," unless he is fully
    confident that he knows *exactly* what is going to happen as a result of
    each and every change. Having seen the results of inexperienced people
    using automated registry "cleaners," I can only advise all but the most
    experienced computer technicians (and/or hobbyists) to avoid them all.
    Experience has shown me that such tools simply are not safe in the hands
    of the inexperienced user.

    The only thing needed to safely clean your registry is knowledge
    and Regedit.exe. If you lack the knowledge and experience to maintain
    your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
    experience to safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner,
    no matter how safe they claim to be.

    Further, no one has ever demonstrated, to my satisfaction, that the
    use of an automated registry cleaner, particularly by an untrained,
    inexperienced computer user, does any real good. There's certainly been
    no empirical evidence offered to demonstrate that the use of such
    products to "clean" WinXP's registry improves a computer's performance
    or stability.

    What specific problem are you experiencing that you *know* beyond
    all reasonable doubt will be fixed by using an automated registry
    cleaner? If you do have a problem that is rooted in the registry, it
    would be far better to simply edit (after backing up, of course) only
    the specific key(s) and/or value(s) that are causing the problem. Why
    use a shotgun when a scalpel will do the job? Additionally, the
    manually changing of one or two registry entries is far less likely to
    have the dire consequences of allowing an automated product to make
    multiple changes simultaneously.

    I always use Regedit.exe. I trust my own experience and judgment
    far more than I would any automated registry cleaner. I strongly
    encourage others to acquire the knowledge, as well.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    http://www.petri.co.il/disable_windows_messenger_in_windows_xp.htm

    comments on what?-website or the product?
    If product-I haven't used it-so no idea.

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP
    Sitara Lal wrote:

    > How can one remove Windows Messenger from a laptop running Win XP pro? Are
    > there any negative consequences of doing so?
    >
    > Also, any comments on www.tune-up.com? Good, bad or ugly!

Messenger Microsoft Windows XP