The Opposite Of A 10db Pad

Last response: in Home Audio
March 19, 2005 7:20:16 PM

Dear fellow audiophiles,

I'm looking for the opposite of a 10db pad for my unidirectional ECM-66B
lavalier mike. Its output turns out to be quite a bit lower than is ideal
for the Edirol R-1 recorder's mic input, averaging about 10db lower than is
ideal for good SN/R, even with the R-1's input volume set to maximum!

Don't know whether such an animal exists, but I figured this would be a
good place to ask. If a really tiny very portable 10db gain doohinky thingy
doesn't even exist, I'd be open to other suggested solutions. Thanks much.

Cheers,

Charles

More about : opposite 10db pad

March 19, 2005 10:34:03 PM

Charles H. Riggs, III wrote:
> Dear fellow audiophiles,
>
> I'm looking for the opposite of a 10db pad for my unidirectional ECM-66B
> lavalier mike. Its output turns out to be quite a bit lower than is ideal
> for the Edirol R-1 recorder's mic input, averaging about 10db lower than is
> ideal for good SN/R, even with the R-1's input volume set to maximum!
>
> Don't know whether such an animal exists, but I figured this would be a
> good place to ask. If a really tiny very portable 10db gain doohinky thingy
> doesn't even exist, I'd be open to other suggested solutions. Thanks much.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Charles

One possibility perhaps you want to check out is the Boostaroo headphone
amp:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CT...

Since it is designed for headphone output amplification, it may not have
a low enough noise floor for your application, and the gain may not be
high enough. But it does run on AA batteries and is fairly compact. The
Boostaroo site says that you can parallel outputs to get more gain, but
I am not sure how that works driving high impedances. Radio Shack has a
liberal return policy, so there is no risk in trying it out.

It has 1/8" ins and outs, so you may need some adaptors/cables which RS
carries. If you do try it, I would like to know how it turns out.
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 11:43:26 PM

"Charles H. Riggs, III" <criggs@pipeline.com> wrote in message
news:D 1hjg00nv3@news1.newsguy.com...
> Dear fellow audiophiles,
>
> I'm looking for the opposite of a 10db pad for my unidirectional
ECM-66B
> lavalier mike. Its output turns out to be quite a bit lower than is ideal
> for the Edirol R-1 recorder's mic input, averaging about 10db lower than
is
> ideal for good SN/R, even with the R-1's input volume set to maximum!
>
> Don't know whether such an animal exists, but I figured this would be
> good place to ask. If a really tiny very portable 10db gain doohinky
thingy
> doesn't even exist, I'd be open to other suggested solutions. Thanks
much.

To the best of my knowledge, it doesn't exist. My guess is you will have to
buy a small mic preamp box with substantial gain, and then run it into your
Edirol as a line input. These boxes almost always come in stereo pairs
these days, but a few are made for single mic/voice/instrument running into
computer line ins. Usually today the box can feed either a firewire or usb
signal into a computer in digital form, but most also include analog
outputs. There are a lot of them out there, with prices ranging from $200
up to $1200. You can also get strictly analog mic preamps in numbers
ranging 2-8 in rack mounts, at a cost of about $400 up to as much as $4000.
These preamps vary greatly in sonics and build quality, and you need to take
your Eiderol and audition before you consider buying. You'll find them at
pro sound shops as well as online. You can get a feel for what's available
online at the websites for B&H (www.bhphotovideo.com) .

Hope this helps and good luck.

Harry
March 20, 2005 6:54:42 PM

"Chung" <chunglau@covad.net> wrote in message
news:D 1hurb02cs3@news4.newsguy.com...
> One possibility perhaps you want to check out is the Boostaroo headphone
> amp:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CT...
> Since it is designed for headphone output amplification, it may not have
> a low enough noise floor for your application, and the gain may not be
> high enough. But it does run on AA batteries and is fairly compact. The
> Boostaroo site says that you can parallel outputs to get more gain, but
> I am not sure how that works driving high impedances. Radio Shack has a
> liberal return policy, so there is no risk in trying it out.

Sounds fascinating, I just called my local Radio Shack and they DO have it
in stock, and I'm on my way to buy it. Crossing my fingers. If this works
you will be rewarded forever in that great sound room in the sky!

Cheers,

Charles
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 9:12:46 PM

> Charles H. Riggs, III wrote:
>> Dear fellow audiophiles,
>>
>> I'm looking for the opposite of a 10db pad for my unidirectional
>> ECM-66B
>> lavalier mike. Its output turns out to be quite a bit lower than is
>> ideal
>> for the Edirol R-1 recorder's mic input, averaging about 10db lower than
>> is
>> ideal for good SN/R, even with the R-1's input volume set to maximum!
>>
>> Don't know whether such an animal exists, but I figured this would be
>> good place to ask. If a really tiny very portable 10db gain doohinky
>> thingy
>> doesn't even exist, I'd be open to other suggested solutions. Thanks
>> much.

I have a suspicion that there's something wrong with either the mike or the
Edirol. The output rating for that mike is substantial. Your problem
should be excess output--not insufficient. Either that, or you're way too
far from the source. Are you recording bird calls?

You might try a few experiments. Turn the mike off and see what kind of
noise you get from your recorder. IOW, try to find out if the problem is in
the recorder itself.

Norm
!