MN-700 / MN-720 (Base Station - NIC drops connection)

Hardware and software involved
Dell Latitude CPx H PIII laptop
Windows XP Professional w/service pack 1
Wireless Base Station MN-700 w/recent updates
Wireless NIC MN-720

I've been having a connectivity problem with the Wireless
Base Station MN-700 used in combination with a MN-720
wireless notebook adapter.

The signal seems to drop randomly once or twice
an hour. I use a program called NetStumbler
(http://www.netstumbler.com) that is able to find and
monitor wireless networks that are within range of the
NIC. This program shows my existing wireless network, and
displays the vendor as Microsoft. I recommend it for
anyone trying to trouble shoot a wireless connection.
Randomly a wireless network with a vendor listed
as 'Fake' pops up for about 5 seconds. This 'fake' signal
shows up just long enough to create some kind of wireless
confusion and my existing connection drops. The fake
connection then goes away.

I have attempted to change the channel that the base
station broadcasts from the default of 6 to 11. I've
tried (based upon suggestions from Microsoft phone
support) to lower the level of encryption from 128 to 64
and to use a less complicated security key (1111111111)
rather than the suggested 26 character alphanumeric
security key. I've moved the laptop to within 6 feet of
the base station. Still same problem.

The software is loaded on a freshly installed version of
Windows XP with all the recent updates and security
patches. The system is a Dell Latitude with the most
recent bios and Dell updates as well. I have the lastest
driver, firmware, and service pack. Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

http://www.ButchGibson.com
12 answers Last reply
More about base station drops connection

    Dear Butch,

    If you think the broadcast "Fake" is the culprit, I wouls
    suggest leaving your WEP key at 128-bit (104 + 24-bit
    IVector). Remember, the 64-bit encryption isn't really
    64-bit, it is much less plus the IVector. Too easy if
    you a wardriver on your path.

    Try MAC filtering along with the 128-bit WEP key. Change
    channels again. And keep you network active. I use a
    muted MSFT Media Player running in background on a 28K
    online radio station when I suspect suspicious activity.
    I then bring NetStumbler up on another PC to observe it.
    Another tack is running a second base station as decoy.

    Good Luck!

    Thanks for the tips.

    I'm not sure if the Fake is actually the culprit or where
    it even comes from. My thought was that maybe the base
    station had some type of hiccup or something that was
    causing this problem.

    I'm limited as far as resources go. I only have one
    wireless NIC and have only ran NetStumbler on the laptop
    with that wireless NIC which is the one that is having
    the problem.

    Dropping down to 64 bit encryption was suggested by
    Microsoft phone support. Trying to see what happens. I
    requested to have my support incident left open as 'not
    resolved' until I can keep constant connectivity.

    That radio to keep the network active sounds interesting,
    although this drop in connectivity can happen in the
    middle of trying to search on google.

    I'll poke around with that filtering though. Thanks again
    for the tips.

    I've always had problems with Net Stumbler 030 and the MS MN720. Netstumbler
    040 is better but still has some issues. I've found that Net Stumbler
    complicates connectivity more times than not with the MN720. Are you
    broadcasting the SSID and do you have the 833 firmware in the base station?

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist
    "Butch Gibson" <Hardwarecat@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hardware and software involved
    > Dell Latitude CPx H PIII laptop
    > Windows XP Professional w/service pack 1
    > Wireless Base Station MN-700 w/recent updates
    > Wireless NIC MN-720
    >
    > I've been having a connectivity problem with the Wireless
    > Base Station MN-700 used in combination with a MN-720
    > wireless notebook adapter.
    >
    > The signal seems to drop randomly once or twice
    > an hour. I use a program called NetStumbler
    > (http://www.netstumbler.com) that is able to find and
    > monitor wireless networks that are within range of the
    > NIC. This program shows my existing wireless network, and
    > displays the vendor as Microsoft. I recommend it for
    > anyone trying to trouble shoot a wireless connection.
    > Randomly a wireless network with a vendor listed
    > as 'Fake' pops up for about 5 seconds. This 'fake' signal
    > shows up just long enough to create some kind of wireless
    > confusion and my existing connection drops. The fake
    > connection then goes away.
    >
    > I have attempted to change the channel that the base
    > station broadcasts from the default of 6 to 11. I've
    > tried (based upon suggestions from Microsoft phone
    > support) to lower the level of encryption from 128 to 64
    > and to use a less complicated security key (1111111111)
    > rather than the suggested 26 character alphanumeric
    > security key. I've moved the laptop to within 6 feet of
    > the base station. Still same problem.
    >
    > The software is loaded on a freshly installed version of
    > Windows XP with all the recent updates and security
    > patches. The system is a Dell Latitude with the most
    > recent bios and Dell updates as well. I have the lastest
    > driver, firmware, and service pack. Any help would be
    > greatly appreciated.
    >
    > http://www.ButchGibson.com

    I'm using NetStumbler 040, but didn't start using it
    until after I noticed I had the problem. I tried to use
    it to determine if there were other wireless networks
    available while I was connected and if I could monitor
    them. I do have the latest 833 firmware for the
    basestation. I have had the same problem broadcasting the
    SSID and not broadcasting the SSID.

    For what it's worth, I have the exact same issue with
    this version of netstumbler (040). Same "fake" reading,
    then a loss of connectivity.
    It didn't happen on an earlier version, maybe that'll
    help, if you can get an earlier netstumbler (030).

    First, exit the broadband network utility and remove it from the
    startup group. You don't need it on XP. Use XP's built in Wireless
    Zero Configuration to configure the wireless. You should not have to
    lower the security. Can you set up the laptop's power managerment (as
    a test) to be always on and not go into standby/hibernate and don't
    allow the laptop to turn off power to the card? This will rule out
    power management issues/bugs. Make sure the SSID is changed from the
    default to something unique.

    Also, can you check the event logs and see if anything corresponds to
    the signal drops?

    What does netstumbler report for other available networks and channels
    in use besides "Fake"? Does Fake appear on more than one channel over
    the course of time?

    On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 14:37:22 -0700,

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Hi Butch,

    I had the same problem for a while (dropped connections, loss of wireless
    network, etc.) with the same hardware (MN700/MN720). As this is not a
    problem with the notebook adapter (I used it on the MSFT network or in some
    other companies). So for some days, I modified a lot of parameters on the
    base and today I solved my problem by disabling SSID broadcasting on the
    wireless base station. Tell me if it works. For information, there is no
    problem with the MN520 (802.11b) adapter. I guess this is a problem with
    this combination of hardware (MN7xx).

    Thierry Frache - MVP Windows Servers

    "Butch Gibson" <Hardwarecat@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hardware and software involved
    > Dell Latitude CPx H PIII laptop
    > Windows XP Professional w/service pack 1
    > Wireless Base Station MN-700 w/recent updates
    > Wireless NIC MN-720
    >
    > I've been having a connectivity problem with the Wireless
    > Base Station MN-700 used in combination with a MN-720
    > wireless notebook adapter.
    >
    > The signal seems to drop randomly once or twice
    > an hour. I use a program called NetStumbler
    > (http://www.netstumbler.com) that is able to find and
    > monitor wireless networks that are within range of the
    > NIC. This program shows my existing wireless network, and
    > displays the vendor as Microsoft. I recommend it for
    > anyone trying to trouble shoot a wireless connection.
    > Randomly a wireless network with a vendor listed
    > as 'Fake' pops up for about 5 seconds. This 'fake' signal
    > shows up just long enough to create some kind of wireless
    > confusion and my existing connection drops. The fake
    > connection then goes away.
    >
    > I have attempted to change the channel that the base
    > station broadcasts from the default of 6 to 11. I've
    > tried (based upon suggestions from Microsoft phone
    > support) to lower the level of encryption from 128 to 64
    > and to use a less complicated security key (1111111111)
    > rather than the suggested 26 character alphanumeric
    > security key. I've moved the laptop to within 6 feet of
    > the base station. Still same problem.
    >
    > The software is loaded on a freshly installed version of
    > Windows XP with all the recent updates and security
    > patches. The system is a Dell Latitude with the most
    > recent bios and Dell updates as well. I have the lastest
    > driver, firmware, and service pack. Any help would be
    > greatly appreciated.
    >
    > http://www.ButchGibson.com

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Barb,

    as MVP, I bought a lot of Microsoft hardware. I have the following products:
    MN500 & MN700 wireless base station
    MN520 & MN720 wireless notebook adapter

    My test matrix:

    MN500 (base) + MN720 = OK
    MN500 (base) + MN520 = OK
    MN700 (base) + MN720 = NOT OK
    MN700 (base) + MN520 = OK

    A lot of users are experiencing difficulties with the MN700 base + MN720
    pcmcia card. Check groups.google.com.

    There is no problem with Windows XP or Netstumbler or something else. This
    is a problem with the MN700 hardware (maybe the firmware).

    "Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > First, exit the broadband network utility and remove it from the
    > startup group. You don't need it on XP. Use XP's built in Wireless
    > Zero Configuration to configure the wireless. You should not have to
    > lower the security. Can you set up the laptop's power managerment (as
    > a test) to be always on and not go into standby/hibernate and don't
    > allow the laptop to turn off power to the card? This will rule out
    > power management issues/bugs. Make sure the SSID is changed from the
    > default to something unique.
    >
    > Also, can you check the event logs and see if anything corresponds to
    > the signal drops?
    >
    > What does netstumbler report for other available networks and channels
    > in use besides "Fake"? Does Fake appear on more than one channel over
    > the course of time?
    >

    > On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 14:37:22 -0700,
    > <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm using NetStumbler 040, but didn't start using it
    >>until after I noticed I had the problem. I tried to use
    >>it to determine if there were other wireless networks
    >>available while I was connected and if I could monitor
    >>them. I do have the latest 833 firmware for the
    >>basestation. I have had the same problem broadcasting the
    >>SSID and not broadcasting the SSID.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    I've seen lots of complaints with that combination with WPA, but not with
    WEP (which is being used in this particular case). In any case, I'm hopeful
    that the upcoming updates that are supposed to be released around the same
    time as the release of XP SP2 resolve these issues.

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    I meet the problem with the most recent release of SP2 (as I'm a beta tester
    of the product). I guess this is a bug (oops) and as the products are now
    discontinued, I'm not sure about an upcoming firmware upgrade...

    > I've seen lots of complaints with that combination with WPA, but not with
    > WEP (which is being used in this particular case). In any case, I'm
    > hopeful
    > that the upcoming updates that are supposed to be released around the same
    > time as the release of XP SP2 resolve these issues.
    >
    > Thierry Frache [MVP] wrote:
    >> Barb,
    >>
    >> as MVP, I bought a lot of Microsoft hardware. I have the following
    >> products: MN500 & MN700 wireless base station
    >> MN520 & MN720 wireless notebook adapter
    >>
    >> My test matrix:
    >>
    >> MN500 (base) + MN720 = OK
    >> MN500 (base) + MN520 = OK
    >> MN700 (base) + MN720 = NOT OK
    >> MN700 (base) + MN520 = OK
    >>
    >> A lot of users are experiencing difficulties with the MN700 base +
    >> MN720 pcmcia card. Check groups.google.com.
    >>
    >> There is no problem with Windows XP or Netstumbler or something else.
    >> This is a problem with the MN700 hardware (maybe the firmware).
    >>
    >> Thierry Frache - MVP Windows Servers
    >>
    >> "Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>> First, exit the broadband network utility and remove it from the
    >>> startup group. You don't need it on XP. Use XP's built in Wireless
    >>> Zero Configuration to configure the wireless. You should not have to
    >>> lower the security. Can you set up the laptop's power managerment (as
    >>> a test) to be always on and not go into standby/hibernate and don't
    >>> allow the laptop to turn off power to the card? This will rule out
    >>> power management issues/bugs. Make sure the SSID is changed from the
    >>> default to something unique.
    >>>
    >>> Also, can you check the event logs and see if anything corresponds to
    >>> the signal drops?
    >>>
    >>> What does netstumbler report for other available networks and
    >>> channels in use besides "Fake"? Does Fake appear on more than one
    >>> channel over the course of time?

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    MS is definitely planning a firmware update and software update for
    release around the XP SP2 RTM date.

    On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 22:40:59 +0200, "Thierry Frache [MVP]"
    <tfrache@microsoft-mvp.com> wrote:

    >I meet the problem with the most recent release of SP2 (as I'm a beta tester
    >of the product). I guess this is a bug (oops) and as the products are now
    >discontinued, I'm not sure about an upcoming firmware upgrade...
    >
    >"Barb Bowman (MVP-Windows)" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> I've seen lots of complaints with that combination with WPA, but not with
    >> WEP (which is being used in this particular case). In any case, I'm
    >> hopeful
    >> that the upcoming updates that are supposed to be released around the same
    >> time as the release of XP SP2 resolve these issues.
    >>
    >> Thierry Frache [MVP] wrote:
    >>> Barb,
    >>>
    >>> as MVP, I bought a lot of Microsoft hardware. I have the following
    >>> products: MN500 & MN700 wireless base station
    >>> MN520 & MN720 wireless notebook adapter
    >>>
    >>> My test matrix:
    >>>
    >>> MN500 (base) + MN720 = OK
    >>> MN500 (base) + MN520 = OK
    >>> MN700 (base) + MN720 = NOT OK

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    They aren't making new products.
    That doesn't mean they won't support the existing ones.

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

    "Thierry Frache [MVP]" <tfrache@microsoft-mvp.com> wrote in message
    > I meet the problem with the most recent release of SP2 (as I'm a beta
    tester
    > of the product). I guess this is a bug (oops) and as the products are now
    > discontinued, I'm not sure about an upcoming firmware upgrade...
    >
    > "Barb Bowman (MVP-Windows)" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > I've seen lots of complaints with that combination with WPA, but not
    with
    > > WEP (which is being used in this particular case). In any case, I'm
    > > hopeful
    > > that the upcoming updates that are supposed to be released around the
    same
    > > time as the release of XP SP2 resolve these issues.
    > >
    > > Thierry Frache [MVP] wrote:
    > >> Barb,
    > >>
    > >> as MVP, I bought a lot of Microsoft hardware. I have the following
    > >> products: MN500 & MN700 wireless base station
    > >> MN520 & MN720 wireless notebook adapter
    > >>
    > >> My test matrix:
    > >>
    > >> MN500 (base) + MN720 = OK
    > >> MN500 (base) + MN520 = OK
    > >> MN700 (base) + MN720 = NOT OK
    > >> MN700 (base) + MN520 = OK
    > >>
    > >> A lot of users are experiencing difficulties with the MN700 base +
    > >> MN720 pcmcia card. Check groups.google.com.
    > >>
    > >> There is no problem with Windows XP or Netstumbler or something else.
    > >> This is a problem with the MN700 hardware (maybe the firmware).
    > >>
    > >> Thierry Frache - MVP Windows Servers
    > >>
    > >> "Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message

Routers Wireless NIC Connection Networking