MN-700 / MN-720 (Base Station - NIC drops connection)

Hardware and software involved
Dell Latitude CPx H PIII laptop
Windows XP Professional w/service pack 1
Wireless Base Station MN-700 w/recent updates
Wireless NIC MN-720

I've been having a connectivity problem with the Wireless
Base Station MN-700 used in combination with a MN-720
wireless notebook adapter.

The signal seems to drop randomly once or twice
an hour. I use a program called NetStumbler
(http://www.netstumbler.com) that is able to find and
monitor wireless networks that are within range of the
NIC. This program shows my existing wireless network, and
displays the vendor as Microsoft. I recommend it for
anyone trying to trouble shoot a wireless connection.
Randomly a wireless network with a vendor listed
as 'Fake' pops up for about 5 seconds. This 'fake' signal
shows up just long enough to create some kind of wireless
confusion and my existing connection drops. The fake
connection then goes away.

I have attempted to change the channel that the base
station broadcasts from the default of 6 to 11. I've
tried (based upon suggestions from Microsoft phone
support) to lower the level of encryption from 128 to 64
and to use a less complicated security key (1111111111)
rather than the suggested 26 character alphanumeric
security key. I've moved the laptop to within 6 feet of
the base station. Still same problem.

The software is loaded on a freshly installed version of
Windows XP with all the recent updates and security
patches. The system is a Dell Latitude with the most
recent bios and Dell updates as well. I have the lastest
driver, firmware, and service pack. Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

http://www.ButchGibson.com

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Dear Butch,

If you think the broadcast "Fake" is the culprit, I wouls
suggest leaving your WEP key at 128-bit (104 + 24-bit
IVector). Remember, the 64-bit encryption isn't really
64-bit, it is much less plus the IVector. Too easy if
you a wardriver on your path.

Try MAC filtering along with the 128-bit WEP key. Change
channels again. And keep you network active. I use a
muted MSFT Media Player running in background on a 28K
online radio station when I suspect suspicious activity.
I then bring NetStumbler up on another PC to observe it.
Another tack is running a second base station as decoy.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the tips.

I'm not sure if the Fake is actually the culprit or where
it even comes from. My thought was that maybe the base
station had some type of hiccup or something that was
causing this problem.

I'm limited as far as resources go. I only have one
wireless NIC and have only ran NetStumbler on the laptop
with that wireless NIC which is the one that is having
the problem.

Dropping down to 64 bit encryption was suggested by
Microsoft phone support. Trying to see what happens. I
requested to have my support incident left open as 'not
resolved' until I can keep constant connectivity.

That radio to keep the network active sounds interesting,
although this drop in connectivity can happen in the
middle of trying to search on google.

I'll poke around with that filtering though. Thanks again
for the tips.

I've always had problems with Net Stumbler 030 and the MS MN720. Netstumbler
040 is better but still has some issues. I've found that Net Stumbler
complicates connectivity more times than not with the MN720. Are you
broadcasting the SSID and do you have the 833 firmware in the base station?

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist
"Butch Gibson" <Hardwarecat@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hardware and software involved
> Dell Latitude CPx H PIII laptop
> Windows XP Professional w/service pack 1
> Wireless Base Station MN-700 w/recent updates
> Wireless NIC MN-720
>
> I've been having a connectivity problem with the Wireless
> Base Station MN-700 used in combination with a MN-720
> wireless notebook adapter.
>
> The signal seems to drop randomly once or twice
> an hour. I use a program called NetStumbler
> (http://www.netstumbler.com) that is able to find and
> monitor wireless networks that are within range of the
> NIC. This program shows my existing wireless network, and
> displays the vendor as Microsoft. I recommend it for
> anyone trying to trouble shoot a wireless connection.
> Randomly a wireless network with a vendor listed
> as 'Fake' pops up for about 5 seconds. This 'fake' signal
> shows up just long enough to create some kind of wireless
> confusion and my existing connection drops. The fake
> connection then goes away.
>
> I have attempted to change the channel that the base
> station broadcasts from the default of 6 to 11. I've
> tried (based upon suggestions from Microsoft phone
> support) to lower the level of encryption from 128 to 64
> and to use a less complicated security key (1111111111)
> rather than the suggested 26 character alphanumeric
> security key. I've moved the laptop to within 6 feet of
> the base station. Still same problem.
>
> The software is loaded on a freshly installed version of
> Windows XP with all the recent updates and security
> patches. The system is a Dell Latitude with the most
> recent bios and Dell updates as well. I have the lastest
> driver, firmware, and service pack. Any help would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> http://www.ButchGibson.com

I'm using NetStumbler 040, but didn't start using it
until after I noticed I had the problem. I tried to use
it to determine if there were other wireless networks
available while I was connected and if I could monitor
them. I do have the latest 833 firmware for the
basestation. I have had the same problem broadcasting the
SSID and not broadcasting the SSID.

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

For what it's worth, I have the exact same issue with
this version of netstumbler (040). Same "fake" reading,
then a loss of connectivity.
It didn't happen on an earlier version, maybe that'll
help, if you can get an earlier netstumbler (030).

First, exit the broadband network utility and remove it from the
startup group. You don't need it on XP. Use XP's built in Wireless
Zero Configuration to configure the wireless. You should not have to
lower the security. Can you set up the laptop's power managerment (as
a test) to be always on and not go into standby/hibernate and don't
allow the laptop to turn off power to the card? This will rule out
power management issues/bugs. Make sure the SSID is changed from the
default to something unique.

Also, can you check the event logs and see if anything corresponds to
the signal drops?

What does netstumbler report for other available networks and channels
in use besides "Fake"? Does Fake appear on more than one channel over
the course of time?

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 14:37:22 -0700,

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Hi Butch,

I had the same problem for a while (dropped connections, loss of wireless
network, etc.) with the same hardware (MN700/MN720). As this is not a
problem with the notebook adapter (I used it on the MSFT network or in some
other companies). So for some days, I modified a lot of parameters on the
base and today I solved my problem by disabling SSID broadcasting on the
wireless base station. Tell me if it works. For information, there is no
problem with the MN520 (802.11b) adapter. I guess this is a problem with
this combination of hardware (MN7xx).

Thierry Frache - MVP Windows Servers

"Butch Gibson" <Hardwarecat@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hardware and software involved
> Dell Latitude CPx H PIII laptop
> Windows XP Professional w/service pack 1
> Wireless Base Station MN-700 w/recent updates
> Wireless NIC MN-720
>
> I've been having a connectivity problem with the Wireless
> Base Station MN-700 used in combination with a MN-720
> wireless notebook adapter.
>
> The signal seems to drop randomly once or twice
> an hour. I use a program called NetStumbler
> (http://www.netstumbler.com) that is able to find and
> monitor wireless networks that are within range of the
> NIC. This program shows my existing wireless network, and
> displays the vendor as Microsoft. I recommend it for
> anyone trying to trouble shoot a wireless connection.
> Randomly a wireless network with a vendor listed
> as 'Fake' pops up for about 5 seconds. This 'fake' signal
> shows up just long enough to create some kind of wireless
> confusion and my existing connection drops. The fake
> connection then goes away.
>
> I have attempted to change the channel that the base
> station broadcasts from the default of 6 to 11. I've
> tried (based upon suggestions from Microsoft phone
> support) to lower the level of encryption from 128 to 64
> and to use a less complicated security key (1111111111)
> rather than the suggested 26 character alphanumeric
> security key. I've moved the laptop to within 6 feet of
> the base station. Still same problem.
>
> The software is loaded on a freshly installed version of
> Windows XP with all the recent updates and security
> patches. The system is a Dell Latitude with the most
> recent bios and Dell updates as well. I have the lastest
> driver, firmware, and service pack. Any help would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> http://www.ButchGibson.com

Barb,

as MVP, I bought a lot of Microsoft hardware. I have the following products:
MN500 & MN700 wireless base station
MN520 & MN720 wireless notebook adapter

My test matrix:

MN500 (base) + MN720 = OK
MN500 (base) + MN520 = OK
MN700 (base) + MN720 = NOT OK
MN700 (base) + MN520 = OK

A lot of users are experiencing difficulties with the MN700 base + MN720
pcmcia card. Check groups.google.com.

There is no problem with Windows XP or Netstumbler or something else. This
is a problem with the MN700 hardware (maybe the firmware).

"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
> First, exit the broadband network utility and remove it from the
> startup group. You don't need it on XP. Use XP's built in Wireless
> Zero Configuration to configure the wireless. You should not have to
> lower the security. Can you set up the laptop's power managerment (as
> a test) to be always on and not go into standby/hibernate and don't
> allow the laptop to turn off power to the card? This will rule out
> power management issues/bugs. Make sure the SSID is changed from the
> default to something unique.
>
> Also, can you check the event logs and see if anything corresponds to
> the signal drops?
>
> What does netstumbler report for other available networks and channels
> in use besides "Fake"? Does Fake appear on more than one channel over
> the course of time?
>

> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 14:37:22 -0700,
> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm using NetStumbler 040, but didn't start using it
>>until after I noticed I had the problem. I tried to use
>>it to determine if there were other wireless networks
>>available while I was connected and if I could monitor
>>them. I do have the latest 833 firmware for the
>>basestation. I have had the same problem broadcasting the
>>SSID and not broadcasting the SSID.

I've seen lots of complaints with that combination with WPA, but not with
WEP (which is being used in this particular case). In any case, I'm hopeful
that the upcoming updates that are supposed to be released around the same
time as the release of XP SP2 resolve these issues.

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

I meet the problem with the most recent release of SP2 (as I'm a beta tester
of the product). I guess this is a bug (oops) and as the products are now
discontinued, I'm not sure about an upcoming firmware upgrade...

> I've seen lots of complaints with that combination with WPA, but not with
> WEP (which is being used in this particular case). In any case, I'm
> hopeful
> that the upcoming updates that are supposed to be released around the same
> time as the release of XP SP2 resolve these issues.
>
> Thierry Frache [MVP] wrote:
>> Barb,
>>
>> as MVP, I bought a lot of Microsoft hardware. I have the following
>> products: MN500 & MN700 wireless base station
>> MN520 & MN720 wireless notebook adapter
>>
>> My test matrix:
>>
>> MN500 (base) + MN720 = OK
>> MN500 (base) + MN520 = OK
>> MN700 (base) + MN720 = NOT OK
>> MN700 (base) + MN520 = OK
>>
>> A lot of users are experiencing difficulties with the MN700 base +
>> MN720 pcmcia card. Check groups.google.com.
>>
>> There is no problem with Windows XP or Netstumbler or something else.
>> This is a problem with the MN700 hardware (maybe the firmware).
>>
>> Thierry Frache - MVP Windows Servers
>>
>> "Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> First, exit the broadband network utility and remove it from the
>>> startup group. You don't need it on XP. Use XP's built in Wireless
>>> Zero Configuration to configure the wireless. You should not have to
>>> lower the security. Can you set up the laptop's power managerment (as
>>> a test) to be always on and not go into standby/hibernate and don't
>>> allow the laptop to turn off power to the card? This will rule out
>>> power management issues/bugs. Make sure the SSID is changed from the
>>> default to something unique.
>>>
>>> Also, can you check the event logs and see if anything corresponds to
>>> the signal drops?
>>>
>>> What does netstumbler report for other available networks and
>>> channels in use besides "Fake"? Does Fake appear on more than one
>>> channel over the course of time?

MS is definitely planning a firmware update and software update for
release around the XP SP2 RTM date.

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 22:40:59 +0200, "Thierry Frache [MVP]"
<tfrache@microsoft-mvp.com> wrote:

>I meet the problem with the most recent release of SP2 (as I'm a beta tester
>of the product). I guess this is a bug (oops) and as the products are now
>discontinued, I'm not sure about an upcoming firmware upgrade...
>
>"Barb Bowman (MVP-Windows)" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> I've seen lots of complaints with that combination with WPA, but not with
>> WEP (which is being used in this particular case). In any case, I'm
>> hopeful
>> that the upcoming updates that are supposed to be released around the same
>> time as the release of XP SP2 resolve these issues.
>>
>> Thierry Frache [MVP] wrote:
>>> Barb,
>>>
>>> as MVP, I bought a lot of Microsoft hardware. I have the following
>>> products: MN500 & MN700 wireless base station
>>> MN520 & MN720 wireless notebook adapter
>>>
>>> My test matrix:
>>>
>>> MN500 (base) + MN720 = OK
>>> MN500 (base) + MN520 = OK
>>> MN700 (base) + MN720 = NOT OK

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

They aren't making new products.
That doesn't mean they won't support the existing ones.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -