How to get web links to open up in new window

June 12, 2005 2:59:02 AM

I have some web sites that I made shortcuts for on my desktop. They open fine
but I would like them to open in a new window - sometimes there is one window
already open (i.e. something that had been minimized) and the shortcut uses
that one instead of a new web page. I'm pretty sure it can be done because
I've had web shortcuts appear on my desktop and they would open in new window
without changing a previously opened page.
I hope I explained that correctly! Any help would be appreciated.

More about : web links open window

Anonymous
June 12, 2005 3:32:03 PM

1. Open Internet Explorer
2. Click Tools, Internet Options, select the Advanced tab
3. Uncheck "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts"
4. Close Internet Explorer

The Reuse windows for launching shortcuts setting is used to determine
whether a new or existing instance of Internet Explorer is used when
exploring a Web site using one of the following methods:

a. Double-clicking an Internet shortcut (.url file) from within Windows
Explorer.
b. Opening a URL by clicking Start, and then clicking Run.
c. Using a desktop toolbar, such as the Address or Links bar.

When this setting is selected, an open instance of Internet Explorer is used
to display any Web site loaded using the above methods. If the setting is
cleared, then the above methods start a new instance of Internet Explorer.

--
Ramesh Srinivasan
MS-MVP, Windows Shell

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...

"Guinn" <Guinn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have some web sites that I made shortcuts for on my desktop. They open
>fine
> but I would like them to open in a new window - sometimes there is one
> window
> already open (i.e. something that had been minimized) and the shortcut
> uses
> that one instead of a new web page. I'm pretty sure it can be done because
> I've had web shortcuts appear on my desktop and they would open in new
> window
> without changing a previously opened page.
> I hope I explained that correctly! Any help would be appreciated.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 3:32:04 PM

Thank you very much! That worked perfectly!!!
June 12, 2005 3:50:31 PM

You're welcome.

--

news:D 8C719F0-6D9C-4DD1-8397-6337AA203ADA@microsoft.com...

> Thank you very much! That worked perfectly!!!
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 3:50:32 PM

Also, you can download Web Accessories (says for IE 5.5, but
work just fine with IE6 and XP) and add a right click menu
with "Open link in new Window" which is also handy.

some support

| You're welcome.
|
| --
| Ramesh Srinivasan
| MS-MVP, Windows Shell
|
| Windows XP Troubleshooting
| http://www.winhelponline.com
|
| Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook
Express:

!