Sign in with
Your question

Load Win 7 on Laptop previously dual booting with Linux

Last response: in Windows 7
August 7, 2012 6:08:53 PM

Hello,
My laptop had some sort of GRUB that allowed for a dual boot either to Vista or Some sort of Linux OS. I wanted to upgrade it to Windows 7 and get rid of all the Linux remnants. So I deleted too much in preparing to install Win 7 and now my boot sequence will not let me start from the Win 7 disk to install Win & but simply gives me a GRUB 22 error. I think I have lost the Master Boot Record or fouled it up. I removed the 320 GB drive from the laptop and put it in a external drive enclosure and can examine its contents. I want to be able to save any of the Acer Aspire drivers and other data on the 320 HDD and load Windows 7 on it. How do I proceed from here.
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
August 7, 2012 6:41:16 PM

When you first turn your laptop on, there should be some message to the effect of "Press <key> to enter boot menu". Press that key, when the menu shows up, select the optical drive, then follow instructions. Alternately you can go into the BIOS and change the order of the boot device so that the optical drive comes before the HDD.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 7, 2012 6:49:21 PM

oldneezer said:
Hello,
My laptop had some sort of GRUB that allowed for a dual boot either to Vista or Some sort of Linux OS. I wanted to upgrade it to Windows 7 and get rid of all the Linux remnants. So I deleted too much in preparing to install Win 7 and now my boot sequence will not let me start from the Win 7 disk to install Win & but simply gives me a GRUB 22 error. I think I have lost the Master Boot Record or fouled it up. I removed the 320 GB drive from the laptop and put it in a external drive enclosure and can examine its contents. I want to be able to save any of the Acer Aspire drivers and other data on the 320 HDD and load Windows 7 on it. How do I proceed from here.

go to bios and set cd as first boot that should allow install
m
l
August 7, 2012 7:43:03 PM

Grub 22 means the bootloader can't find the partion you are trying to boot to.

Try booting off your Win 7 install disk using the repair option, get to the command prompt and run fdisk /fixmbr to fix the master boot record. Restart, see what happens.

Can't guarantee that will work though, if you can copy files off the windows partion via usb i'd be tempted just to copy off whatever you need and use fdisk (windows repair / live linux CD) to zap all the partions and start again with the windows 7 install
m
l
!