HELP: HDMI input on my new laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denalin

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
Hey guys, I'm new to the forums, but have been reading THG for about four years now. I know that you guys know your stuff.
So anyway, I don't know much about laptops, and have only _just_ purchased my first laptop ever. The laptop is a Fujitsu with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 with 512 MB ram (256 dedicated, 256 shared). The laptop also has an HDMI port. Now, HDMI is both input and output, from what I've gathered. I'd like to know if there's a way for me to take my PlayStation3 and plug it in to my laptop in order to display high-def content via the HDMI ports. I don't know if this will require some special media-center software or anything, but the plain and simple question is... will the hardware itself allow me to do this?
Thanks in advance.

l82sxool

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
i really wish i can help you but if you just tried hooking up your ps3 to the hdmi port then going into you control panel and look for what source your hdmi port in sourcing from you should be able to play your ps3 i cant wait to get my own laptop with hdmi because i just recently saw this on my friends laptop i have not yet been able to test this feature although i highly doubt that it would not work...

I don't know where you learned that HDMI was in and out at the same time, but I don't think that's true. Your card can't record video, I'm pretty sure of that. The HDMI port you have is output only. That being said, even if it is true, I highly doubt your notebook has an HD resolution display. The only way you can hook up your PS3 to your notebook is with some sort of TV Tuner that supports HD inputs.

Whoa old thread.

finiest

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Actually any laptop or computer monitor that supports 1440x900 is technically a 720p HD monitor it just has more to do with finding something rendered in HD. For example most 360 and PS3 games are rendered at standard and then converted up when you play on a HD tv or monitor. Whereas HD photos and film are shot at HD and that is why there are two versions to a film or photo in this sense and not standard and HD games sold separately. My new Dell studio has an HDMI cable as well and i was wondering if this would work.

No, No, and... NO.

First it's 900P not 720P, and it would either need to be upconveted or have letterboxing.

Second, PS3 and X360 aren't rendered at standard def when set to high def, the PS3 actually has a non-standard def for it's higher end output. The games are rendered depending on need, some support 1080i natively and even 720P natively, but it needs to be developed that way, and while the PS3 does often use the hardware upscaler to help make the task easier than full res HD, it's not limited to it.

Lastly, HDMI on the laptops is an output, not an input.

I have the exact same laptop the OP was talking about in the original post, and right now there is no laptop solution for input, although there are external solutoins that would 'kinda work' in HD with a bit of lag, it's not via direct HDMI input though.

Wait for spec ExpressCard spec 2.0 to be included in fall/winter laptops, and then I would expect an input card shortly after that (with DRM all over it of course) similar to the Black MAgic desktop HDMI solutions .

matthew4295

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
HAHAHAHA You guys are idiots... Your laptop is an output only hdmi... There for it can push content out to a projector or tv, but nothing can be pushed it to it.... I know this is an old post but i just read this online and had to laugh and write in... Next time, just buy a tv. HAHA!

Status
Not open for further replies.