Awesome keyboards!

I need some suggestions for awesome keyboards, because my old Focus
8200 died. I'm aiming to buy another of the same brand and type, but
I'm interested in other suggestions. Here's the keyboard in question:

http://www.focus.com.tw/8200.htm

The things I really love about it are:
-Loud mechanical touch-tactile keys
-12 user-programmable function keys
-built-in calculator is more convenient than Windows'

Any keyboard gurus around?

Here's a peculiar one:

http://www.fentek-ind.com/Comfort-keyboard.htm

-Ophidian

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 02:06:01 -0400, "Zac Bond" <zwb2@cwru.edu> wrote:

>I need some suggestions for awesome keyboards, because my old Focus
>8200 died. I'm aiming to buy another of the same brand and type, but
>I'm interested in other suggestions. Here's the keyboard in question:
>
>http://www.focus.com.tw/8200.htm
>
>The things I really love about it are:
>-Loud mechanical touch-tactile keys
>-12 user-programmable function keys
>-built-in calculator is more convenient than Windows'
>
>Any keyboard gurus around?
>
>Here's a peculiar one:
>
>http://www.fentek-ind.com/Comfort-keyboard.htm
>
>-Ophidian

After trying a large number I settled on the classic IBM "buckling spring"
type keyboard. I got a model without those annoying Windows or Start menu
keys in solid black from pckeyboard.com. Their site isn't the best but
look at the catalog to see the different models, then look at pricing. If
you want to buy one online, go to the site index and pick your model from
there (they use a Yahoo store front for online sales). I got the classic
Customizer 101-key model in black for $59. Unicomp made the same model
for IBM. It's really, really excellent. I'd pay 5x as much for one.
These are the real-deal, heavy, take them from job to job, divorce the
wife but keep the keyboard models. There, have I raved enough? :)

I did hear about some nice, modder-friendly ones put out by
deckkeyboards.com that have LEDs for every key. They might be nice if you
like a dark computer room like me.

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Zac Bond wrote:

> I need some suggestions for awesome keyboards, because my old Focus
> 8200 died. I'm aiming to buy another of the same brand and type, but
> I'm interested in other suggestions. Here's the keyboard in question:

You know, I really thought you were going to recommend some music.
Anyway, I'm using an IBM AT keyboard. It doesn't have the
button-that-makes-games-crash or the button-that-makes-EDIT-beep,
which I find to be really useful. An awful lot of ergonomics R&D went
into making these things, and I really miss them at work.

Don't know where you'd get one from (besides ebay) and you'll need a
AT->PS2 adaptor to make it work.

> The things I really love about it are:
> -Loud mechanical touch-tactile keys

Check

> -12 user-programmable function keys

No. At college we had a Gateway keyboard that did that.. you
could leave the recorder running and capture people's logons.

> -built-in calculator is more convenient than Windows'

No, but then I just use a calculator. It even works when the PC
is off..

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 12:35:21 +0100, "J. P. Morris" <jpm@it-he.org> wrote:

>No, but then I just use a calculator. It even works when the PC
>is off..

Or just use your brain and some Spice.
Heck, you always wanted really bushy eyebrows, right?

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
RGCUD Photo Gallery: http://home.comcast.net/~rgcud/

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 02:06:01 -0400, "Zac Bond" <zwb2@cwru.edu> wrote:

>I need some suggestions for awesome keyboards, because my old Focus
>8200 died. I'm aiming to buy another of the same brand and type, but
>I'm interested in other suggestions. Here's the keyboard in question:
>
>http://www.focus.com.tw/8200.htm
>
>The things I really love about it are:
>-Loud mechanical touch-tactile keys
>-12 user-programmable function keys
>-built-in calculator is more convenient than Windows'
>
>Any keyboard gurus around?
>
>Here's a peculiar one:
>
>http://www.fentek-ind.com/Comfort-keyboard.htm
>
>-Ophidian

How about a unique mouse that is more ergo?
http://www.safetype.com/safetype-mouse.htm
I think there are several versions from several manufacturers. I'll
have to try one out when I see one.
-=UDIC=-
Optician Dragon
"Life Is Like A Can Of Tuna Fish - Sometimes It's Good, Sometimes It's Not So Good"
-Alfred E. Neumann

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 14:12:11 GMT, Optician Dragon
<DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 02:06:01 -0400, "Zac Bond" <zwb2@cwru.edu> wrote:
>
>>I need some suggestions for awesome keyboards, because my old Focus
>>8200 died. I'm aiming to buy another of the same brand and type, but
>>I'm interested in other suggestions. Here's the keyboard in question:
>>
>>http://www.focus.com.tw/8200.htm
>>
>>The things I really love about it are:
>>-Loud mechanical touch-tactile keys
>>-12 user-programmable function keys
>>-built-in calculator is more convenient than Windows'
>>
>>Any keyboard gurus around?
>>
>>Here's a peculiar one:
>>
>>http://www.fentek-ind.com/Comfort-keyboard.htm
>>
>>-Ophidian
>>
>How about a unique mouse that is more ergo?
>http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,1034216,00.asp
>http://www.safetype.com/safetype-mouse.htm
>I think there are several versions from several manufacturers. I'll
>have to try one out when I see one.

I've tried those out, well similar sideways ones anyhow. They are less
ergonomic. Maybe if you have some RIS damage you might like them for a
change in position, but with a regular mouse gravity is helping you push
the buttons and not dragging your arm bone (radius) across the hard table
surface unnaturally.

Conclusion: marketing gimmick, may sell to RIS sufferers who are willing
to try anything.

--

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 02:08:23 -0500, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 02:06:01 -0400, "Zac Bond" <zwb2@cwru.edu> wrote:
>
>>I need some suggestions for awesome keyboards, because my old Focus
>>8200 died. I'm aiming to buy another of the same brand and type, but
>>I'm interested in other suggestions. Here's the keyboard in question:
>>
>>http://www.focus.com.tw/8200.htm
>>
>>The things I really love about it are:
>>-Loud mechanical touch-tactile keys
>>-12 user-programmable function keys
>>-built-in calculator is more convenient than Windows'
>>
>>Any keyboard gurus around?
>>
>>Here's a peculiar one:
>>
>>http://www.fentek-ind.com/Comfort-keyboard.htm
>>
>>-Ophidian
>
>After trying a large number I settled on the classic IBM "buckling spring"
>type keyboard. I got a model without those annoying Windows or Start menu
>keys in solid black from pckeyboard.com. Their site isn't the best but
>look at the catalog to see the different models, then look at pricing. If
>you want to buy one online, go to the site index and pick your model from
>there (they use a Yahoo store front for online sales). I got the classic
>Customizer 101-key model in black for $59. Unicomp made the same model
>for IBM. It's really, really excellent. I'd pay 5x as much for one.
>These are the real-deal, heavy, take them from job to job, divorce the
>wife but keep the keyboard models. There, have I raved enough? :)
>
>I did hear about some nice, modder-friendly ones put out by
>deckkeyboards.com that have LEDs for every key. They might be nice if you
>like a dark computer room like me.
Have you looked at the electroluminescent ones?
Here's a review:
http://www.burnoutpc.com/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=33
-=UDIC=-
Optician Dragon
"Life Is Like A Can Of Tuna Fish - Sometimes It's Good, Sometimes It's Not So Good"
-Alfred E. Neumann

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 14:15:57 GMT, Optician Dragon
<DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:
>Have you looked at the electroluminescent ones?
>Here's a review:
>http://www.burnoutpc.com/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=33

Yes, in fact I have one of those in my closet. I'd rather have just the
characters on the keyboard lit up, not the entire key however. Kind of
like a Powerbook keyboard.

The problem with that model is not only is there a distinct lack of
tactile feedback due to it using a membrane mechanism for the keys, but
also that it has really shallow-throws for the keys. It's just not
comfortable to type upon.

Hmmm...I think I sold mine. I was looking in the "Stack of Keyboards" TM
but it's not there. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it.

--

"J. P. Morris" <jpm@it-he.org> wrote in message

>> -built-in calculator is more convenient than Windows'
>
> No, but then I just use a calculator. It even works when the PC
> is off..

What do you mean by, "when the PC is off?" I don't think it's ever
happened to me, whatever that situation is... :-O

Seriously, I just find it convenient to have one less thing laying
around the computer desk.

-Ophidian

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 15:56:58 -0400, "Zac Bond" <zwb2@cwru.edu> wrote:

>What do you mean by, "when the PC is off?" I don't think it's ever
>happened to me, whatever that situation is... :-O
>
>Seriously, I just find it convenient to have one less thing laying
>around the computer desk.

I do have a couple of calculators. One is a TI model that uses solar
power instead of batteries. Actually I think I still have one of those
old LED models too, the kind that had little magnetic strips to program
them with. But the one I have in my briefcase is a Casio model where the
LCD display is basically a side-scrolling dot matrix display and you can
enter your numbers like an equation. It uses a couple of CD2032 batteries
(otherwise known as CMOS batteries) for power.

They all date back to 1985. I haven't used any of them for years. When I
need to use a calculator I use either calc.exe or Excel depending on how
much data I'm inputting.

--

Polychromic wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 15:56:58 -0400, "Zac Bond" <zwb2@cwru.edu> wrote:
>
> I do have a couple of calculators. One is a TI model that uses solar
> power instead of batteries. Actually I think I still have one of those
> old LED models too, the kind that had little magnetic strips to program
> them with. But the one I have in my briefcase is a Casio model where the
> LCD display is basically a side-scrolling dot matrix display and you can
> enter your numbers like an equation. It uses a couple of CD2032 batteries
> (otherwise known as CMOS batteries) for power.
>
> They all date back to 1985. I haven't used any of them for years. When I
> need to use a calculator I use either calc.exe or Excel depending on how
> much data I'm inputting.

Heh. Let's see... I've got a TI-34, although I never use it anymore
beacause I have a TI-35X, which is better. I also have a TI-81 - the
lowest of the graphing calculators - but can't seem to find the thing.

TI makes good calculators. I mean really - I've had the TI-34 for years,
and it still works good as new. (Helps that it's solar.)

-Lumina Dragon

"Polychromic" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message

> I do have a couple of calculators. One is a TI model that uses
> solar
> power instead of batteries. Actually I think I still have one of
> those
> old LED models too, the kind that had little magnetic strips to
> program
> them with. But the one I have in my briefcase is a Casio model
> where the
> LCD display is basically a side-scrolling dot matrix display and you
> can
> enter your numbers like an equation. It uses a couple of CD2032
> batteries
> (otherwise known as CMOS batteries) for power.

We have a dusty old LED calculator, but it won't work anymore :-(

Usually I just use the TI-89 I've had since college, since it supports
infix and can do useful things like symbolic integration, graphing,
statistics, etc.

I hate both Mathmatica and MatLab with a passion, although MatLab is
slightly more tolerable.

-Zac

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 16:20:54 -0500, Lumina Dragon <kewhitte@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Heh. Let's see... I've got a TI-34, although I never use it anymore
>beacause I have a TI-35X, which is better. I also have a TI-81 - the
>lowest of the graphing calculators - but can't seem to find the thing.

Graphing calculators. I guess those came after the last time I bought
one.

>TI makes good calculators. I mean really - I've had the TI-34 for years,
>and it still works good as new. (Helps that it's solar.)

I bet the battery companies were gnashing their teeth when solar panels
started being used in items like that.

--

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 09:50:39 -0500, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 14:15:57 GMT, Optician Dragon
><DragonLensman1@verizon.net> wrote:
>>Have you looked at the electroluminescent ones?
>>Here's a review:
>>http://www.burnoutpc.com/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=33
>
>Yes, in fact I have one of those in my closet. I'd rather have just the
>characters on the keyboard lit up, not the entire key however. Kind of
>like a Powerbook keyboard.
>
>The problem with that model is not only is there a distinct lack of
>tactile feedback due to it using a membrane mechanism for the keys, but
>also that it has really shallow-throws for the keys. It's just not
>comfortable to type upon.
>
>Hmmm...I think I sold mine. I was looking in the "Stack of Keyboards" TM
>but it's not there. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it.
<Optician pushes glowing plastic memory module back in>
-=UDIC=-
Optician Dragon
"Life Is Like A Can Of Tuna Fish - Sometimes It's Good, Sometimes It's Not So Good"
-Alfred E. Neumann

thehawk

Distinguished
May 19, 2003

In article <3d1o61h0flsrbq8jalab3n2ljsfqhbklhs@4ax.com>,
macecil@comcast.net says...
> On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 15:56:58 -0400, "Zac Bond" <zwb2@cwru.edu> wrote:
>
> >What do you mean by, "when the PC is off?" I don't think it's ever
> >happened to me, whatever that situation is... :-O
> >
> >Seriously, I just find it convenient to have one less thing laying
> >around the computer desk.
>
> I do have a couple of calculators. One is a TI model that uses solar
> power instead of batteries. Actually I think I still have one of those
> old LED models too, the kind that had little magnetic strips to program
> them with. But the one I have in my briefcase is a Casio model where the
> LCD display is basically a side-scrolling dot matrix display and you can
> enter your numbers like an equation. It uses a couple of CD2032 batteries
> (otherwise known as CMOS batteries) for power.
>
> They all date back to 1985. I haven't used any of them for years. When I
> need to use a calculator I use either calc.exe or Excel depending on how
> much data I'm inputting.

The problem with calc.exe is that it is not RPN.

-thehawk
Fallen Angel Dragon, UDIC

Words to the wise, "Zac Bond" <zwb2@cwru.edu> wrote:

>I need some suggestions for awesome keyboards, because my old Focus
>8200 died. I'm aiming to buy another of the same brand and type, but
>I'm interested in other suggestions. Here's the keyboard in question:
>
>http://www.focus.com.tw/8200.htm
>
>The things I really love about it are:
>-Loud mechanical touch-tactile keys
>-12 user-programmable function keys
>-built-in calculator is more convenient than Windows'

Well, I am using a Sun USB Keyboard and I love it due to the
quietness. Also, Its much larger than PS/2 keyboards used to be and I
love that. It also has a bunch of keys which could probably be
reprogrammed, as it is now, they are only working under Solaris (which
I dont have on my desktop).

Polychromic wrote:

> I've tried those out, well similar sideways ones anyhow. They are less
> ergonomic. Maybe if you have some RIS damage you might like them for a
> change in position, but with a regular mouse gravity is helping you push
> the buttons and not dragging your arm bone (radius) across the hard table
> surface unnaturally.
>
> Conclusion: marketing gimmick, may sell to RIS sufferers who are willing
> to try anything.

I particularly liked this pronation animation:
http://www.safetype.com/images/pronationanim2_02-over.gif

I had no idea my bones were clacking together like that every time I use
the mouse!

It's funny that if I put my arm down on the table and relax (without a
mouse) my hand lies flat. I'll bet it's just habituation from using a
mouse!

--
Cape Dweller Dragon

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 04:00:30 -0400, Cape Dweller <usenet@ciotog.net>
wrote:

>It's funny that if I put my arm down on the table and relax (without a
>mouse) my hand lies flat. I'll bet it's just habituation from using a
>mouse!

Or perhaps it's more comfortable that way. Try your other hand on the
table and see! Then try your other hand!

--

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 21:45:08 -0700, thehawk <thehawk5150at@hotmaildot.com>
wrote:

>The problem with calc.exe is that it is not RPN.

RPN is a product of the bygone days of mechanical, lever driven adding
machines. It's time to move into the present. Besides, you're not one of
those Reverse Pollacks are you?

Pollack? Pole? What is the right term anyhow?

--

Zac Bond wrote:

> I need some suggestions for awesome keyboards

I've always been curious about the one-handed chord keyboards like the
BAT. I remember hearing about one that straps to your hand, so you can
type with your hand in any position, and apparently typing speeds can be
as much as double. Here's an interesting one:
http://www.chordite.com/

The inventor has a couple of movies showing it in use, and a couple of
pages of prototypes.

--

wrote:

>Polychromic wrote:
>
>> I've tried those out, well similar sideways ones anyhow. They are less
>> ergonomic. Maybe if you have some RIS damage you might like them for a
>> change in position, but with a regular mouse gravity is helping you push
>> the buttons and not dragging your arm bone (radius) across the hard table
>> surface unnaturally.
>>
>> Conclusion: marketing gimmick, may sell to RIS sufferers who are willing
>> to try anything.
>
>I particularly liked this pronation animation:
>http://www.safetype.com/images/pronationanim2_02-over.gif
>
>I had no idea my bones were clacking together like that every time I use
>the mouse!
>
>It's funny that if I put my arm down on the table and relax (without a
>mouse) my hand lies flat. I'll bet it's just habituation from using a
>mouse!
Well, if I place my hands in front of me, palm up and relax my
fingers, they curl up and touch my palm, and even overlap each other.
In short, they look like a paraplegic's hands.My little finger has
slipped over to where the tip of it is near the base of my ring
finger. Add to that the stiffness of my thumbs, and my hands look like
they fit perfectly over a Playstation controller. They are even
starting to curl down hard enough so I get a fair amount of accidental
clicks.

In article <jbcp619fss73qvt1fhrp266mkq3ggvheg6@4ax.com>,
macecil@comcast.net says...
> On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 21:45:08 -0700, thehawk <thehawk5150at@hotmaildot.com>
> wrote:
>
> >The problem with calc.exe is that it is not RPN.
>
> RPN is a product of the bygone days of mechanical, lever driven adding
> machines. It's time to move into the present. Besides, you're not one of
> those Reverse Pollacks are you?

Yes. Which, if you think about it, it is not such a bad thing any way
you look at it.

> Pollack? Pole? What is the right term anyhow?

Oh, who knows. Heh, I just prefer the notation in my calculational
hardware.

-thehawk
Fallen Angel Dragon, UDIC
"Whereupon and therefore."

Polychromic wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 16:20:54 -0500, Lumina Dragon <kewhitte@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Heh. Let's see... I've got a TI-34, although I never use it anymore
>>beacause I have a TI-35X, which is better. I also have a TI-81 - the
>>lowest of the graphing calculators - but can't seem to find the thing.
>

> Graphing calculators. I guess those came after the last time I bought
> one.

That's nothing. The TI-92 - which I do not have, but have seen ads for -
can somehow do 3D graphing and has way too many keys for something not a
computer. Which it's probably only a half-step away from becoming.

The TI-8x series (I know of 81 through 85) are called "Advanced
Scientific" calculators (the 34 and 35X being "Scientific Calculators").
They can do stuff besides graphing, too, but I forget what all.

>>TI makes good calculators. I mean really - I've had the TI-34 for years,
>>and it still works good as new. (Helps that it's solar.)
>
> I bet the battery companies were gnashing their teeth when solar panels
> started being used in items like that.

Heh. Well, apparently it was just a fad, seeing as most recent
calculators don't use them. A shame, really.

-Lumina Dragon

"Lumina Dragon" <kewhitte@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> That's nothing. The TI-92 - which I do not have, but have seen ads
> for - can somehow do 3D graphing and has way too many keys for
> something not a computer. Which it's probably only a half-step away
> from becoming.

The 89 and 92 are effectively the same and come with identical
manuals, except I believe that the 92 has a controller and an ASCII
layout on its keypad. But the 89 does 3D graphics--and what fun they
are, too! :-D

Well, maybe. It's tedious to use and hard to look at.

-Zac