Why the DROP in DVD burner prices?

cdpage

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
I was looking to get a DVD +/- burner a month or so ago when the prices around here (canada) where $200-250 thinking that was realy good now.

But now they are at $160 for the same 4X burners

i know that the 8X burners are now available, and they are a little pricy, just under 300.

I guess im just curious to know, is there something coming out that may make these obsolete?

<b>on the verge of catastrophy (y1.999...k)</b>
ASUS P4S8X - P4 2.4B - 2 x 512M DDR333 - ATI 9500 Pro - WD 80G HD(8M) - SAMSUNG SV0844D 8G HD - LG 16X DVD - Yamaha F1 CDRW

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
Mostly because of competition. Compare the number of brands of drives that came out this year to last year. It probably doubled or tripled. Also, DVD media prices have gone down considerably since the three big manufactures have expanded their plants to manufacture more dvd media.

Dual layer DVD burning is supposed to come out 1st or 2nd quarter of this year, but its just rumors as of now.

There is something called blu-rey out in the market right now that might make dvds obsolete but who can tell the future. Zip drives were supposed to replace floppy drives, but that never happened.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
I don't understand what the hell the big deal is with these 8X burners.. they make it sound like it burns everything in 8X ... it's bull [-peep-]....... they shouldn't call it an 8X burner cause it isn't... yes it burns ONE!!! format in 8X all the rest are the same as usually.. 4X and 2X on the -R and _+RW.... IM sorry i bought the LiteON 811s because i didn't read closly and realized the damn 411s is basically the same [-peep-] for cheaper.......yeah it burns +R @ 8X but i use -R and.......ughhh...... i guess im just pissed cause i got tricked into the o'll 8X trick... lol

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GeForce 4 Ti4200 w/vivo 128mb 8x
Hitachi CML174
1 GB Corsair XMS PC3200 Cas2

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
in MARCH there releasing the 8GB blank dvd's or some crap new dvds' i guess new burners are coming out for them or something. I'll try and find the article.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
Hitachi CML174

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
It doesn't even burn +R at 8x. It burns it at 6x. Only toward the end of the disc does it actually burn at 8x. Thats why it takes about 9 mins to burn a dvd when 8x should burn it in about 7.

Yes the dual layer, 8gig, dvd burners are supposed to be comming out soon, but this is all rumors and paper releases.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
[peeeepeeep] peopel, why are you so picky. It is 8x capable, it is not guarantied to be 8x at all times, it can do 8x when it can and only when it can. It is like 10MB per second, not even every PC can provide that much of a stream.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Bro it's not a matter of being picky... take a look at one of the 8X burners.... on the box all you see is like a GIANT! 8X and they make it like its so fast and all this stuff meanwhile it burns 1 formatt at 8x,

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
Hitachi CML174

cdpage

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
YEa i just found some of that info on Dual laying coming out soon too now. in both formats too, one is likely to be a little ahead of the other... but close enough to keep the compition between the two long enough that we won't be seeing any sort of standard for a long time.

I just recintly saw a Burner now that can do all the +/- as well as DVD-RAM. Pretty sweet.

I wonder though, will we need a new burner for the dual layered disks? read sometihng that made me feal that we might not...

About the Blu Ray stuff. A couple years ago i found a company called Constellation 3D Corporation (C3D or something), created CDs that could have as much as 140GB per CD. Hard to find on the Net now... if you find anything on them let me know.

drives me nuts how things like this will exist 10 years before its implemented...STUPID!!!

Its a shame that ZIP disks never cought on, nor did the SuperDisk(120MG). the SuperDisk drive was accually a smarter design, they just came out too late.

Its pretty sad realy, Apple dropped the Floppy years ago, I'd liek to see it dropped off the PCs too and replaced with something USEFULL!!! what the hell can anyone use those SLOW 1.44 Mb Disks for now a days anyhow? AHHHH

BTW i have a Zip drive... a 250MB one tho i only use 100MG disks becasue everyone i know that has them only have 100Mg drives... oh well. Its used often in the design industry, thanks mostly to Apple. they are slow and vertually obsolete now. only truely superseeded by DVD-RAM, which again no one seems to want...

I guess all the Good Technologie out there gets shunned becuase its not as profitable.

Why would anyone choose DVD+/-RW over DVD-RAM?

anyone know if there are or will be advancement on DVD-RAM in the future?

ASUS P4S8X - P4 2.4B - 2 x 512M DDR333 - ATI 9500 Pro - WD 80G HD(8M) - SAMSUNG SV0844D 8G HD - LG 16X DVD - Yamaha F1 CDRW

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
+R dual layer is supposed to come out before -R dual layer. Both are still in experiemental stage. Supposedly some drives can be upgraded to burn dual layer discs with just a firmware update, but again its just rumors for now.

Sony did come out with a blu-ray burner last year, but it doesn't conform to any standards and its major expensive($3800). Its the same size as a cd, but it holds aobut 24gigs of data. It is backwards compatible with current DVDs, but supposedly it can't read +R or +RW discs.

Regarding DVD-Ram, there probably won't be any further advancements in it. It failed because it was in a cartridge. So it could not be backwards compatible with DVDs and CDs. Its a good system for data backups though.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Current burners burn to 4.7GB disks, is the dual layer twice that?

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
Current dvds DO NOT burn to 4.7gb despite what it says on the cover. It burns to about 4.38gb only. Its because they estimated that 1000 bytes = 1kb and 1000kb = 1mb... In reality its 1024bytes = 1kb etc etc.

Anyway, yes dual layer would be able to hold about 8.6gb of data on a single sided dvd. This is all still in test phase so who knows when its going to come out.

cdpage

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
I tohught that the dual layers used in current DVDs are not double but only 1/2 or even less as much bigger.

Its too bad about the DVD-RAM thing... though i find that strange that it was in a cartrige thing...thats the way they used to be...its sorta going backwards...

But if thats tru then that Drive that i was looking at the does them all would have to too then no?

i think that you might be wrong on that... i think that the Drives on some of them might be like that, but doesn't mean the the Disk would have to like that does it?

as far as i can tell, the RAM is the Beta of the VHS/Beta war. Its a far better set up, if they just took the time like they are doing for the - and the + and spent as much on the RAM we might have home theaters that could read them too, and then all the problems would be solved. Massive RAM storage that is Media ready. what else we we need? THAT would EASILY become standard.

JP5

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
There is always something new coming:

- 8x, then 16x...
- Blue Ray
- HD
- dual layer

Just get what your wallet allows and makes you happy.