SB Live! Plat 5.1 -=VS =- SB Audigy 2 ZS Plat

draxsath

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2003
well i'm an audiophile, i've got a 1500Watt Sony 5.1 channel Dolby DTS digital home theater system hooked up to my SB Live! 5.1 Platinum sound card.

It sounds great, but honestly i'm not sure if it sounds good enough. i was wondering whether it would be worth it at all to upgrade to the SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum. my MP3's fail to produce adequate sound quality, the center speaker is NEVER used, and it overall just does not seem like my MP3's are really taking advantage of my stereo system. It seems as its not really doing surround sound at all, just faking it, and poorly at that. Not to mention the software package to control sound options really sucks, i just cant seem to get it to sound REALLY good, like it should.

Seems the new audigy 2 has the ability to take 2 channel sources and extrapolate them into 5.1 or 7.1 output. this interrests me.

any thoughts? has anyone switched between an old SB Live 5.1 to a newer audigy and noticed a considerable difference? i want to make sure its worth it beforei make the $170 leap.

TearsForFears

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2003
I had sb live 5.1(non platinum) and got audigy 2 zs(non platinum) yesterday. for music the sound is much clear now with the same inspire 5.1 5200 speakers. but with audigy 2 zs the cmss doensnt play the center speaker. and for games the eax is better but needs improvements.

for playing sounds audigy 2 zs and audigy 2 zs platinum is the same. the platinum version have higher frequency recording, the I/O panel and remote.

Everybody Wants To Rule The World