Recently my boot up time has extended to up to 30 minutes and applications
keep hanging when opening. To try to solve the problem I backed up all files
and used the recovery disc supplied to restore factory settings. This has
improved time slightly but XP and applications are still very slow. System
restore would not work for some reason. I have up to date Mcafee vrus scan
programme in place. I have used MSCONFIG to limit number of running
programmes. HD size is 70GB with 60 unsued. Is this a XP problem or computor
hardware problem?

Hi,

Could be a hardware fault. I'd start by checking the ram. A stick may have
gone bad or is faulty. If you want to check the memory, there are free
programs here:

http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/download.asp
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Mog106" <Mog106@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Recently my boot up time has extended to up to 30 minutes and applications
> keep hanging when opening. To try to solve the problem I backed up all
> files
> and used the recovery disc supplied to restore factory settings. This has
> improved time slightly but XP and applications are still very slow. System
> restore would not work for some reason. I have up to date Mcafee vrus scan
> programme in place. I have used MSCONFIG to limit number of running
> programmes. HD size is 70GB with 60 unsued. Is this a XP problem or
> computor
> hardware problem?

30-Minute Boot up ? -

The way to test a System State is with Safe Mode. If your computer
boots in a reasonable time using Safe Mode then it is not a hardware
issue. (A Safe-Mode boot should complete in 25-35 Seconds)

You are likely infested with Malware/Spyware & all the other things
that can cause a PC to run badly. A Virus scanner/Real-Time product
is only a minimal amount of protection these days.

Removal is possible - but time intensive. You're going to need a whole
complement of tools: AdAware, Spybot, CW Shredder, MS - Anti
Spyware and numerous on-line scanners for Virus/Trojans/Spyware

A 30-Minute boot time is at the threshold for a clean install. If you
aren't savvy on removal/prevention you might be better served to back
up your personal data, use the System Recovery (Full) and then install
preventative measures such as a 3rd-party Firewall and the tools
listed above.

"Mog106" <Mog106@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Recently my boot up time has extended to up to 30 minutes and applications
> keep hanging when opening. To try to solve the problem I backed up all
> files
> and used the recovery disc supplied to restore factory settings. This has
> improved time slightly but XP and applications are still very slow. System
> restore would not work for some reason. I have up to date Mcafee vrus scan
> programme in place. I have used MSCONFIG to limit number of running
> programmes. HD size is 70GB with 60 unsued. Is this a XP problem or
> computor
> hardware problem?

This sound more like a hardware fault.
The most likely cause is memory or processor, but it could also be heat
related.

Associate Expert
Unofficial FAQ for Windows Server 2003 at
http://pelos.us/SERVER.htm

"Mog106" <Mog106@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Recently my boot up time has extended to up to 30 minutes and applications
> keep hanging when opening. To try to solve the problem I backed up all
> files
> and used the recovery disc supplied to restore factory settings. This has
> improved time slightly but XP and applications are still very slow. System
> restore would not work for some reason. I have up to date Mcafee vrus scan
> programme in place. I have used MSCONFIG to limit number of running
> programmes. HD size is 70GB with 60 unsued. Is this a XP problem or
> computor
> hardware problem?

Defrag your HD.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

"Mog106" <Mog106@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Recently my boot up time has extended to up to 30 minutes and applications
> keep hanging when opening. To try to solve the problem I backed up all
> files
> and used the recovery disc supplied to restore factory settings. This has
> improved time slightly but XP and applications are still very slow. System
> restore would not work for some reason. I have up to date Mcafee vrus scan
> programme in place. I have used MSCONFIG to limit number of running
> programmes. HD size is 70GB with 60 unsued. Is this a XP problem or
> computor
> hardware problem?

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 08:26:35 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"

>Could be a hardware fault. I'd start by checking the ram. A stick may have
>gone bad or is faulty. If you want to check the memory, there are free
>programs here:

>http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/download.asp
>http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Negative, Captain - RAM always crashes at full speed, it's a failing
HD that bogs down retrying the same sector if it detects errors.

As this eats installations and data, the victim should see this as a
wake-up call and proceed as per...

http://cquirke.mvps.org/pccrisis.htm

....especially if there are pauses that stop mouse pointer movement
while the HD LED stays permanently on.

Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 18:10:08 +0530, "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com>

>Defrag your HD.

That's about the worst possible advice you can give to someone with a
failing HD, or bad RAM for that matter.

Think about what defrag does; reads potentially everything off the HD
into RAM, then writes it back to the HD again.

Does that sound like something you want to do with RAM that corrupts
what passes through it, or a failing HD?