.JPG is not a valid Win32 application

When I double click on a picture (any pictures stored in "My Pictures"), I
cannot open it from "My Pictures" folder. This error message pops up:
C:\Documents and Settings\...\My Documents\My Pictures\...\DSCN0498.jpg is
not a valid Win32 application.
Thanks for your help.
Lucie
7 answers Last reply
More about valid win32 application

    This can be caused (though not always) if your system has been infected
    by the SIRCAM virus. Make sure your AV application is up to date, then
    do a full system scan for viruses.

    --
    pip22
    pip22's Profile: http://forum.osnn.net/member.php?userid=4394

    Have you tried more than one jpg? Tell me what you have in the registry
    (start | run | regedit | OK) for HKCR\.jpg I need to see that whole key.
    Save it as a reg file change the extension to txt open it in notepad select
    all copy paste in here.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    "Samwise" <Samwise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I double click on a picture (any pictures stored in "My Pictures"), I
    > cannot open it from "My Pictures" folder. This error message pops up:
    > C:\Documents and Settings\...\My Documents\My Pictures\...\DSCN0498.jpg is
    > not a valid Win32 application.
    > Thanks for your help.
    > Lucie

    Yes I tried several. I don't have much knowledge in computers. I don't really
    understand what you want me to copy. Anyway, I tried Export (there was nos
    Save as), I saved and copy this : (There is more but I can't save them all in
    one page). If you want to see the others, I can copy them one at a time.
    Thanks
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg]
    "PerceivedType"="image"
    @="jpegfile"
    "Content Type"="image/jpeg"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\jpegfile]

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\jpegfile\ShellNew]

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\OpenWithList]

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\OpenWithProgids]
    "jpegfile"=hex(0):

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\PersistentHandler]
    @="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

    "George Hester" wrote:

    > Have you tried more than one jpg? Tell me what you have in the registry
    > (start | run | regedit | OK) for HKCR\.jpg I need to see that whole key.
    > Save it as a reg file change the extension to txt open it in notepad select
    > all copy paste in here.
    >
    > --
    > George Hester
    > _______________________________
    > "Samwise" <Samwise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When I double click on a picture (any pictures stored in "My Pictures"), I
    > > cannot open it from "My Pictures" folder. This error message pops up:
    > > C:\Documents and Settings\...\My Documents\My Pictures\...\DSCN0498.jpg is
    > > not a valid Win32 application.
    > > Thanks for your help.
    > > Lucie

    OK I want you to do the same thing with HKCR\jpegfile

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    > Yes I tried several. I don't have much knowledge in computers. I don't
    really
    > understand what you want me to copy. Anyway, I tried Export (there was nos
    > Save as), I saved and copy this : (There is more but I can't save them all
    in
    > one page). If you want to see the others, I can copy them one at a time.
    > Thanks
    > Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    >
    > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg]
    > "PerceivedType"="image"
    > @="jpegfile"
    > "Content Type"="image/jpeg"
    >
    > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\jpegfile]
    >
    > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\jpegfile\ShellNew]
    >
    > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\OpenWithList]
    >
    > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\OpenWithProgids]
    > "jpegfile"=hex(0):
    >
    > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\PersistentHandler]
    > @="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"
    >
    > "George Hester" wrote:
    >
    > > Have you tried more than one jpg? Tell me what you have in the registry
    > > (start | run | regedit | OK) for HKCR\.jpg I need to see that whole
    key.
    > > Save it as a reg file change the extension to txt open it in notepad
    select
    > > all copy paste in here.
    > >
    > > --
    > > George Hester
    > > _______________________________
    > > "Samwise" <Samwise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > When I double click on a picture (any pictures stored in "My
    Pictures"), I
    > > > cannot open it from "My Pictures" folder. This error message pops up:
    > > > C:\Documents and Settings\...\My Documents\My
    Pictures\...\DSCN0498.jpg is
    > > > not a valid Win32 application.
    > > > Thanks for your help.
    > > > Lucie

    Yes his jpg association was correct. I suspect his jpegfile is correct too.
    If that is the case you are probably right.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    "pip22" <pip22.1qis4i@no-mx.forum.osnn.net> wrote in message

    > This can be caused (though not always) if your system has been infected
    > by the SIRCAM virus. Make sure your AV application is up to date, then
    > do a full system scan for viruses.
    >

    > --
    > pip22
    > pip22's Profile: http://forum.osnn.net/member.php?userid=4394
    > View this thread: http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?t=77135

    "Samwise" <Samwise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I double click on a picture (any pictures stored in "My Pictures"), I
    > cannot open it from "My Pictures" folder. This error message pops up:
    > C:\Documents and Settings\...\My Documents\My Pictures\...\DSCN0498.jpg is
    > not a valid Win32 application.
    > Thanks for your help.
    > Lucie
    The file association for the jpg type is wrong. You can fix this problem
    through the control panel. Another way is through the registry as has been
    suggested.
    Jim

    Jim, you were right. One of the JPEG file was associated w/another program.
    Thanks.
    Lucie

    "Jim" wrote:

    > "Samwise" <Samwise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When I double click on a picture (any pictures stored in "My Pictures"), I
    > > cannot open it from "My Pictures" folder. This error message pops up:
    > > C:\Documents and Settings\...\My Documents\My Pictures\...\DSCN0498.jpg is
    > > not a valid Win32 application.
    > > Thanks for your help.
    > > Lucie
    > The file association for the jpg type is wrong. You can fix this problem
    > through the control panel. Another way is through the registry as has been
    > suggested.
    > Jim

Win32 Microsoft Windows XP