The beauty of the cleaving axe

This winter we had to cut down a couple of trees in our backyard. That
is, we hired someone to do it, and he cut the trees into nice little
lengths suitable for our fireplace. On quest remains: We have to split
the pieces of wood in to halves, thirds\, whatever - depending on the
technique. The last couple of weeks I've spent some quality time with
wood and my cleaving axe (+1), studying different ways of solving said
quest.

The direct approach is of course the Strike Of Force, a fierce blow,
depending on both STR and DEX, causing the wood to almost explode,
spreading the fragments over a large area. The downside to this attack
are twofold. First you have to spend some time picking up the pieces.
Second, occasionally the fragments seek vengeance by attacking my hands,
thus causing an inignificant, but very noticeable redistribution of
blood. (BTW, the missis wasn't too happy about my choice of clothes for
the occasion. But I chose the garments I always wear when working
outdoors, last time when I painted the house (a nice dark red). No big
deal). These are the occasions when a man is a man, satisfying his
primal urges as a hunter by ... eh, attacking wood.

But my favourite is the Strike Of Balance, relying more on DEX and INT
and a dash of WIZ, the well-planned strike, where the edge of the axe
(+1), after penetrating the wood, merely touches the
watcha-call-the-large-piece-of-wood-upon-which-you-place-the-small-one,
and THE FRAGMENTS (2 ALMOSTE EQUALLY-SIZED) REMAIN ON THE
WCTLPOWUWYPTSO. It's art.

Unfortunately, the pile of uncleaved wood is getting significantly
smaller. Hmmmmmmmmm.

pibbur, (not) wearing high heels
"Lizzie Borden took an axe, and plunged it deep into the Vax. Don't you
envy people who, do what YOU would like to do?"

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 19:04:50 +0200, pibbur
<oopsREM.OVE512@bergenCAP.ITAonline.noLS> wrote:

>This winter we had to cut down a couple of trees in our backyard. That
>is, we hired someone to do it, and he cut the trees into nice little

I cut down a large tree that used to be the refuge of bajillions of
grackles (medium-sized black birds) that would paint my cars with their
poop. It was also using it's roots to crack my rear driveway so it had to
go. I left a stump. I think I will cut it flat and sand it smooth so it
can be a chair for when I'm doing automotive things.

>lengths suitable for our fireplace. On quest remains: We have to split
>the pieces of wood in to halves, thirds\, whatever - depending on the
>technique. The last couple of weeks I've spent some quality time with
>wood and my cleaving axe (+1), studying different ways of solving said
>quest.

Hmmm. Yes, that is a problem. I just moved the pieces large or small
over to a big wood pile. I didn't think about splitting the large pieces.
My fireplace is probably large enough for them all. What am I saying? I
live in Texas, so it will probably take me 200 years before enough cold
days have passed for me to use up the wood. Oh well. Also, I don't have
a splitting axe. Hmmm, that is a reason to buy one though. More tools!!

>Unfortunately, the pile of uncleaved wood is getting significantly
>smaller. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Have fun. Be wary you do not need a name change to Stumpy Dragon.

--
The Polychromic Dragon of the -=={UDIC}==-
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/