won't go into standby DLA message

When I attempt to go into stand by mode I get the following
message " DLA - The operation you have requested is not available because
your primary recording device is being used by DLA. Close any files or
windows displaying the contents of your dla disc, and wait 30 seconds. If
the problem persists, eject your disc and try again."

There is no disc in the drive and no windows are open. I did a ctrl+alt+del
and there were no programs running on the application tab.

The computer also makes me open the dvd drive on start up and occasionally
while working or programs will hang up.
4 answers Last reply
More about standby message

    Sonic DLA is an application which allows you to drag files on to the CD
    icon in My Computer - a process known as 'packet writing' - this saves
    you having to use cd-writing software if all you want to copy to CD is
    a few small files at a time. The problem is, DLA runs in the background
    all the time (you will find it under the 'Processes' tab when you press
    CTRL-ALT-Delete, not under the running programs tab). There will also
    prbably be a DLA icon in your system tray (next to or near the clock,
    bottom right). It is this background process which is preventing
    Standby from working. You have two options:

    1. Right-click the DLA icon in system tray and choose 'exit' if
    available.
    2. If you don't use DLA I personally would uninstall it, or prevent it
    from loading at startup. You can disable startup items quite simply by
    downloading the free 'Startup Control Panel from here:
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    After you've installed it, it's icon will be in the Windows Control
    Panel. It will list ALL startup items on your system, both from the
    Registry and the Startup folder.

    --
    pip22
    pip22's Profile: http://forum.osnn.net/member.php?userid=4394

    Hi,

    Click start/run, type msconfig and click ok. On the startup tab, disable
    (uncheck) the line that loads Sonic's Drive Letter Access. It's a CD burning
    utility that is monitoring for drag and drop files, and it is active as a
    background application. Its activity is what is preventing you from entering
    standby. It is not necessary for this process to be loaded and running at
    boot, and you can always activate it through its start menu entry when you
    want to use it.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "AMSmithSAN" <AMSmithSAN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I attempt to go into stand by mode I get the following
    > message " DLA - The operation you have requested is not available
    > because
    > your primary recording device is being used by DLA. Close any files or
    > windows displaying the contents of your dla disc, and wait 30 seconds. If
    > the problem persists, eject your disc and try again."
    >
    > There is no disc in the drive and no windows are open. I did a
    > ctrl+alt+del
    > and there were no programs running on the application tab.
    >
    > The computer also makes me open the dvd drive on start up and occasionally
    > while working or programs will hang up.

    I've uninstalled the software and it will now go into standby. Unfortunately
    it did not correct the boot up problem. When my computer gets to the HP
    screen on boot up it freezes. When I hit eject on the dvd drive the boot up
    continues. Any time i close the drive is will freeze the computer after
    awhile. When i open the drive again the computer unfreezes.

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Click start/run, type msconfig and click ok. On the startup tab, disable
    > (uncheck) the line that loads Sonic's Drive Letter Access. It's a CD burning
    > utility that is monitoring for drag and drop files, and it is active as a
    > background application. Its activity is what is preventing you from entering
    > standby. It is not necessary for this process to be loaded and running at
    > boot, and you can always activate it through its start menu entry when you
    > want to use it.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "AMSmithSAN" <AMSmithSAN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When I attempt to go into stand by mode I get the following
    > > message " DLA - The operation you have requested is not available
    > > because
    > > your primary recording device is being used by DLA. Close any files or
    > > windows displaying the contents of your dla disc, and wait 30 seconds. If
    > > the problem persists, eject your disc and try again."
    > >
    > > There is no disc in the drive and no windows are open. I did a
    > > ctrl+alt+del
    > > and there were no programs running on the application tab.
    > >
    > > The computer also makes me open the dvd drive on start up and occasionally
    > > while working or programs will hang up.

    Hi,

    Might be a defective drive. It may need replacement.

    --

    > I've uninstalled the software and it will now go into standby.
    > Unfortunately
    > it did not correct the boot up problem. When my computer gets to the HP
    > screen on boot up it freezes. When I hit eject on the dvd drive the boot
    > up
    > continues. Any time i close the drive is will freeze the computer after
    > awhile. When i open the drive again the computer unfreezes.
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Click start/run, type msconfig and click ok. On the startup tab, disable
    >> (uncheck) the line that loads Sonic's Drive Letter Access. It's a CD
    >> burning
    >> utility that is monitoring for drag and drop files, and it is active as a
    >> background application. Its activity is what is preventing you from
    >> entering
    >> standby. It is not necessary for this process to be loaded and running at
    >> boot, and you can always activate it through its start menu entry when
    >> you
    >> want to use it.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "AMSmithSAN" <AMSmithSAN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > When I attempt to go into stand by mode I get the following
    >> > message " DLA - The operation you have requested is not available
    >> > because
    >> > your primary recording device is being used by DLA. Close any files or
    >> > windows displaying the contents of your dla disc, and wait 30 seconds.
    >> > If
    >> > the problem persists, eject your disc and try again."
    >> >
    >> > There is no disc in the drive and no windows are open. I did a
    >> > ctrl+alt+del
    >> > and there were no programs running on the application tab.
    >> >
    >> > The computer also makes me open the dvd drive on start up and
    >> > occasionally
    >> > while working or programs will hang up.

Microsoft Windows XP