What is the purpose of the Registry Folder:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Internet
Settings\Zone Maps\Domains
This lengthy list contains many (most) of the spyware sites I spend
considerable effort trying to prevent from accessing my computer. Why are
they in the Registry?

stevev wrote:
> What is the purpose of the Registry Folder:
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Internet
> Settings\Zone Maps\Domains
> This lengthy list contains many (most) of the spyware sites I spend
> considerable effort trying to prevent from accessing my computer.
> Why are they in the Registry?

These website URL's are the sites that are entered into the Restricted Sites
list. In Internet Explorer go to Tools/Internet Options/Security/Restricted
Sites and click the Sites button. The list there should match what you are
seeing in the registry. The spyware websites should be listed there. :)

--
Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

SpywareBlaster installed?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\ZoneMap\Domains

The Domains key contains domains and protocols that have been added to
change their behavior from the default behavior. When a domain is added, a
key is added to the Domains key. Subdomains appear as keys under the domain
where they belong. Each key that lists a domain contains a DWORD with a
value name of the affected protocol. The value of the DWORD is the same as
the numeric value of the security zone where the domain is added.

If they have a Value Data of 4 they are in the Restricted Sites Zone.

This is the list of Restricted Sites from >>>

IE | Tools | Internet Options | Security tab | Restricted Sites |
Sites button | Web sites

SpywareBlaster does this.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:ujDxpR2bFHA.3400@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
stevev <volkmar@NOSPAMpacbell.net> hunted and pecked:
> What is the purpose of the Registry Folder:
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Internet
> Settings\Zone Maps\Domains
> This lengthy list contains many (most) of the spyware sites I spend
> considerable effort trying to prevent from accessing my computer. Why are
> they in the Registry?

karl

The registry is where many of the IE settings are kept...

stevev wrote:

> What is the purpose of the Registry Folder:
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Internet
> Settings\Zone Maps\Domains
> This lengthy list contains many (most) of the spyware sites I spend
> considerable effort trying to prevent from accessing my computer. Why are
> they in the Registry?

Those are trusted domains. The spyware likes to do that. The way to stop
this is to remove the permissions on that key using regedt32. And I mean
ALL the permissions. Easy to get back just re-enable inherit from parent
which you first must do to remove the permissions on that key.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"stevev" <volkmar@NOSPAMpacbell.net> wrote in message
> What is the purpose of the Registry Folder:
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Internet
> Settings\Zone Maps\Domains
> This lengthy list contains many (most) of the spyware sites I spend
> considerable effort trying to prevent from accessing my computer. Why are
> they in the Registry?

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

They're the sites you have placed in the various zones via

Tools > Internet Options > Security

Jon

"stevev" <volkmar@NOSPAMpacbell.net> wrote in message
> What is the purpose of the Registry Folder:
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Internet
> Settings\Zone Maps\Domains
> This lengthy list contains many (most) of the spyware sites I spend
> considerable effort trying to prevent from accessing my computer. Why are
> they in the Registry?

Thanks for all the replies...looks like I have a project for tomorrow.

"stevev" <volkmar@NOSPAMpacbell.net> wrote in message
> What is the purpose of the Registry Folder:
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Internet
> Settings\Zone Maps\Domains
> This lengthy list contains many (most) of the spyware sites I spend
> considerable effort trying to prevent from accessing my computer. Why are
> they in the Registry?

[[Regedt32.exe
In Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, Regedt32.exe is a small
program that just runs Regedit.exe. ]]
Differences Between Regedit.exe and Regedt32.exe
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141377

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes