Domains (registry)

What is the purpose of the Registry Folder:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Internet
Settings\Zone Maps\Domains
This lengthy list contains many (most) of the spyware sites I spend
considerable effort trying to prevent from accessing my computer. Why are
they in the Registry?
7 answers Last reply
More about domains registry

    stevev wrote:
    > What is the purpose of the Registry Folder:
    > HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Internet
    > Settings\Zone Maps\Domains
    > This lengthy list contains many (most) of the spyware sites I spend
    > considerable effort trying to prevent from accessing my computer.
    > Why are they in the Registry?

    These website URL's are the sites that are entered into the Restricted Sites
    list. In Internet Explorer go to Tools/Internet Options/Security/Restricted
    Sites and click the Sites button. The list there should match what you are
    seeing in the registry. The spyware websites should be listed there. :)

    --
    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

    SpywareBlaster installed?

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    Settings\ZoneMap\Domains

    The Domains key contains domains and protocols that have been added to
    change their behavior from the default behavior. When a domain is added, a
    key is added to the Domains key. Subdomains appear as keys under the domain
    where they belong. Each key that lists a domain contains a DWORD with a
    value name of the affected protocol. The value of the DWORD is the same as
    the numeric value of the security zone where the domain is added.

    If they have a Value Data of 4 they are in the Restricted Sites Zone.

    This is the list of Restricted Sites from >>>

    IE | Tools | Internet Options | Security tab | Restricted Sites |
    Sites button | Web sites

    SpywareBlaster does this.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:ujDxpR2bFHA.3400@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    stevev <volkmar@NOSPAMpacbell.net> hunted and pecked:
    > What is the purpose of the Registry Folder:
    > HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Internet
    > Settings\Zone Maps\Domains
    > This lengthy list contains many (most) of the spyware sites I spend
    > considerable effort trying to prevent from accessing my computer. Why are
    > they in the Registry?

    The registry is where many of the IE settings are kept...

    stevev wrote:

    > What is the purpose of the Registry Folder:
    > HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Internet
    > Settings\Zone Maps\Domains
    > This lengthy list contains many (most) of the spyware sites I spend
    > considerable effort trying to prevent from accessing my computer. Why are
    > they in the Registry?

    Those are trusted domains. The spyware likes to do that. The way to stop
    this is to remove the permissions on that key using regedt32. And I mean
    ALL the permissions. Easy to get back just re-enable inherit from parent
    which you first must do to remove the permissions on that key.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    "stevev" <volkmar@NOSPAMpacbell.net> wrote in message
    > What is the purpose of the Registry Folder:
    > HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Internet
    > Settings\Zone Maps\Domains
    > This lengthy list contains many (most) of the spyware sites I spend
    > considerable effort trying to prevent from accessing my computer. Why are
    > they in the Registry?

    They're the sites you have placed in the various zones via

    Tools > Internet Options > Security

    Jon

    "stevev" <volkmar@NOSPAMpacbell.net> wrote in message
    > What is the purpose of the Registry Folder:
    > HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Internet
    > Settings\Zone Maps\Domains
    > This lengthy list contains many (most) of the spyware sites I spend
    > considerable effort trying to prevent from accessing my computer. Why are
    > they in the Registry?

    Thanks for all the replies...looks like I have a project for tomorrow.

    "stevev" <volkmar@NOSPAMpacbell.net> wrote in message
    > What is the purpose of the Registry Folder:
    > HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Internet
    > Settings\Zone Maps\Domains
    > This lengthy list contains many (most) of the spyware sites I spend
    > considerable effort trying to prevent from accessing my computer. Why are
    > they in the Registry?

    [[Regedt32.exe
    In Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, Regedt32.exe is a small
    program that just runs Regedit.exe. ]]
    Differences Between Regedit.exe and Regedt32.exe
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141377

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:uEsywk3bFHA.2524@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    George Hester <hesterloli@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Those are trusted domains. The spyware likes to do that. The way to stop
    > this is to remove the permissions on that key using regedt32. And I mean
    > ALL the permissions. Easy to get back just re-enable inherit from parent
    > which you first must do to remove the permissions on that key.
    >
    > --
    > George Hester
    > "stevev" <volkmar@NOSPAMpacbell.net> wrote in message
    >> What is the purpose of the Registry Folder:
    >> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Internet
    >> Settings\Zone Maps\Domains
    >> This lengthy list contains many (most) of the spyware sites I spend
    >> considerable effort trying to prevent from accessing my computer. Why
    >> are they in the Registry?

Domain Registry Microsoft Windows XP