ULTIMATE JEOPARDY PHASE SIX: DOUBLE JEOPARDY!

Apologies, all, for my absence yesterday. Apparently, the news server
I’m using had trouble. (Had this happened any time except during UJ,
there would have been no problem, provided the interruption was no more
than a day or two. So of COURSE it would be during UJ.) Unfortunately,
this trouble forced all posts made before it to expire, thus I had to
look them up and then recreate the thread to continue from.

Which is why my replies to your answers are all lumped together.

To Paulon: Correct! Although getting the stuff in the first place is a
trial in and of itself, is it not?

Lord Vashnu: Also correct. The low point questions are seldom very
hard, are they?

Ophidian: To my knowledge, it’s always been Geoffrey. And yes, I was
using the canonical Virtue Order maintained since Ultima IV.

Furthermore, you struck gold. It almost seems a waste to have a Daily
Double on the first set of questions on the grid, but if I argued with
the random number generation, I’d be opposing its randomness. 400
points, ‘Phid! You just tied with…

Helgraf! Hope you don’t mind the competition ‘Phid presents. You, of
course, remain on par by virtue of also being correct, else ‘Phid would
have overtaken you.

Cape Dweller, you are also right, although the amount of possible right
answers here is quite diverse - Order Serpent, Ice Serpent, Ice Serpent
of Order - all refer to the same entity. Not to mention that either Who
or What would apply in forming the question.

And we’re back to Lord Vashnu, who may be a total moron by his own
admission, but leaves that clue unanswered nonetheless. As such, it will
be reposted. Respondents may copy him if you believe him to be correct,
yet take the risk that he is not - such is always the case with copying
your answers. On an unrelated note, Cape Dweller brings up a valid
point, considering the man’s crystal ball.

Alright! That takes care of point assignments for the 200s. Most of them
anyway. Expect the 400s momentarily.

-Lumina Dragon

P.S. Oddly, on refreshing, some of the posts I just saw in the archive
have found their way here. However, this is already composed. *sends*

OK. Again, apologies for the delay, but at least now you get the next batch.

But not until after I repost the one unanswered 200-point question.
Remember, if you have not already answered one of the 200s, you can
still answer this, even if you answer one of the 400s below it - they
are, after all, from two different batches.

Cast of Characters II for 200:
This man is the twin brother of a scholar who was killed for learning
too much.

And now the new batch.

Cast of Characters II for 400:
The position of Necromancer in Tenebrae is held by this person when the
Avatar first arrives in the city.

North Star Armory for 400:
In the stronghold once held by the Shadowlords, the Avatar finds this
potent weapon.

Ophidian Ways for 400:
Enthusiasm devoid of Discipline leads to this Bane of Chaos.

The Book of Fellowship for 400:
This is the scholarly name for the philosophy of the Fellowship.

Rule of Threes for 400:
The third and final Blackrock Generator took this form.

Potent Potables for 400:
Outside the town in which it is brewed, this strong drink is a decidedly
acquired taste.

Now, may the contest resume!

-Lumina Dragon

> Cast of Characters II for 200:
> This man is the twin brother of a scholar who was killed for learning too
> much.
Who is Brion?

Lumina Dragon wrote:

> North Star Armory for 400:
> In the stronghold once held by the Shadowlords, the Avatar finds this
> potent weapon.

What is the Magebane?

Lumina Dragon wrote:

> North Star Armory for 400:
> In the stronghold once held by the Shadowlords, the Avatar finds this
> potent weapon.

What is the Magebane?

Lumina Dragon wrote:

> North Star Armory for 400:
> In the stronghold once held by the Shadowlords, the Avatar finds this
> potent weapon.

What is the Magebane?

Heh, ok!

So, yesterday I went online and saw that only FIVE questions had been
answered.
I quickly browsed thru the answers to locate which question was left.
I answered it (with what I *think* is the right answer), only to realize
slightly after that....
....that *I* had been one of the people who had answered the first five
questions.

Today, I come online, read Lumina's new entry and.... I stupidly think to
myself "good, now I can answer that old question AND a new one".

Of course, once I posted my answer (for the second time!!) I realized that
I'm not allowed to!!
If I slowed down a bit, I'm sure all this would go a lot smoother, eh?

Anyway, I'm leaving for two weeks of vacation tomorrow, thus it will be a
more peaceful competition for all involved. ;-)

I will, however, try to answer a question on the 400 level before I go.

Also, when I come back from vacation it will be really fun to find out
wether the answer I managed to post illegaly not once, but twice(!!!) will
be correct or not.

LVD

"Lumina Dragon" <kewhitte@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> The Book of Fellowship for 400:
> This is the scholarly name for the philosophy of the Fellowship.

What is the Triad of Inner Strength?

-Ophidian

"Lumina Dragon" <kewhitte@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Rule of Threes for 400:
> The third and final Blackrock Generator took this form.

*grumble* Damn you, Batlin.

What is the Cube?

-Ophidian

Samurai

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002

Quoth Lumina Dragon <kewhitte@hotmail.com>:
> Cast of Characters II for 400:
> The position of Necromancer in Tenebrae is held by this person when
> the Avatar first arrives in the city.

Who is Lothian?
\^\^//
,^ ( ..) Samurai Dragon -==UDIC Sig Code==-
| \ \ -==(UDIC)==- d++e+N T--Om+U146MA7'! L8u uC++
\ `^--^ \\\\\\\\//////// uF-uG++uLB+uA+nC++uR nH+nP+++
\ \ \ (2 Attentive Points) nI--nPT nS+++nT--wM-wC y+ a29
ksj ^--^ ___________________________________________________________

Lumina Dragon wrote on Sun, 01 May 2005 17:11:50 -0500:
> The Book of Fellowship for 400:
> This is the scholarly name for the philosophy of the Fellowship.

What is sanguine cognition?

--
Josef Drexler, Aquamarine Dragon (UDIC) | http://jdrexler.com/home/
---------------------------------+-------+-------------------------------

Words to the wise, Lumina Dragon <kewhitte@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Potent Potables for 400:
>Outside the town in which it is brewed, this strong drink is a decidedly
>acquired taste.

What is Fawn Ale?

With a deafening roar and a whoosh of spray, Lumina Dragon swings about
and addresses the awaiting newsgroup...

> Ophidian Ways for 400:
> Enthusiasm devoid of Discipline leads to this Bane of Chaos.

What is Wantoness?

--
Paulon Dragon d++ e++ N T+ Om+ UK!1!2!3!4!5!6!7!'!S!'!8!9!A!L!M!W!
-==(UDIC)==- u++ uC++ uF uG+ uLB- uA+ nC+ nR nH+ nP+ nI nPT nS++ nT+ y

Danger Will Robinson! One of your nodes is about to fall off!
Ultima VII endgame.exe file

Samurai wrote:
> Quoth Lumina Dragon <kewhitte@hotmail.com>:
>
>>Cast of Characters II for 400:
>>The position of Necromancer in Tenebrae is held by this person when
>>the Avatar first arrives in the city.
>

> Who is Lothian?

Indeed, indeed. Not quite dead yet, at the outset of the game.

-Lumina Dragon

Helgraf Dragon wrote:
> Lumina Dragon wrote:
>
>> North Star Armory for 400:
>> In the stronghold once held by the Shadowlords, the Avatar finds this
>> potent weapon.
>
> What is the Magebane?

Great sowrd, that, especially in SI. I got a LOT of mileage out of it there.

-Lumina Dragon

Helgraf Dragon wrote:
> Lumina Dragon wrote:
>
>> North Star Armory for 400:
>> In the stronghold once held by the Shadowlords, the Avatar finds this
>> potent weapon.
>
> What is the Magebane?

Triple-posting will NOT net you 1200 points.

-Lumina Dragon

Lord Vashnu Dragon wrote:
> Heh, ok!
>
> So, yesterday I went online and saw that only FIVE questions had been
> answered.
> I quickly browsed thru the answers to locate which question was left.
> I answered it (with what I *think* is the right answer), only to realize
> slightly after that....
> ...that *I* had been one of the people who had answered the first five
> questions.
>
> Today, I come online, read Lumina's new entry and.... I stupidly think to
> myself "good, now I can answer that old question AND a new one".
>
> Of course, once I posted my answer (for the second time!!) I realized that
> I'm not allowed to!!
> If I slowed down a bit, I'm sure all this would go a lot smoother, eh?
>
> Anyway, I'm leaving for two weeks of vacation tomorrow, thus it will be a
> more peaceful competition for all involved. ;-)
>
> I will, however, try to answer a question on the 400 level before I go.
>
> Also, when I come back from vacation it will be really fun to find out
> wether the answer I managed to post illegaly not once, but twice(!!!) will
> be correct or not.

No. You already answered a 200. Someone who has NOT already answered a
200 can answer this one and a 400. Go back to the Rules Post if you
don't believe me. I may have lost it in the recent server problem, but I
archived it to my HD.

As such, I cannot accept your answer this time, either.

The rule is thus: Each set of six questions will be answered by six
different people. You answered North Star Armory for 200.

-Lumina Dragon

Claus Dragon wrote:
> Words to the wise, Lumina Dragon <kewhitte@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Potent Potables for 400:
>>Outside the town in which it is brewed, this strong drink is a decidedly
>>acquired taste.
>

> What is Fawn Ale?

That's correct! The only person outside Fawn who I know likes it is
Simon the Innkeeper at Monitor. And he has, ahem, extenuating
circumstances to explain his tastes.

-Lumina Dragon

Zac Bond wrote:
> "Lumina Dragon" <kewhitte@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>

>>The Book of Fellowship for 400:
>>This is the scholarly name for the philosophy of the Fellowship.
>

> What is the Triad of Inner Strength?

Sorry, that's the grouping of the Three Values, not the name of their
philosophy.

-Lumina Dragon

Aquamarine Dragon wrote:
> Lumina Dragon wrote on Sun, 01 May 2005 17:11:50 -0500:
>
>>The Book of Fellowship for 400:
>>This is the scholarly name for the philosophy of the Fellowship.
>
> What is sanguine cognition?

Correct! Also known as 'Cheerful Knowledge'.

-Lumina Dragon

Zac Bond wrote:
> "Lumina Dragon" <kewhitte@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>

>>Rule of Threes for 400:
>>The third and final Blackrock Generator took this form.
>

> *grumble* Damn you, Batlin.
>
> What is the Cube?

Indeed. Quick to recover, aren't you?

-Lumina Dragon

Paulon wrote:
> With a deafening roar and a whoosh of spray, Lumina Dragon swings about
> and addresses the awaiting newsgroup...
>

>>Ophidian Ways for 400:
>>Enthusiasm devoid of Discipline leads to this Bane of Chaos.
>

> What is Wantoness?

Dupre agrees with you.

-Lumina Dragon

Okay, okay. It seems I have to clarify a point of the rules. EVen in
reposts, you cannot answer a clue if you have already answered another
clue from the set it came from. Lord Vashnu, Cape Dweller, Helgraf,
Ophidian, and Paulon are all excluded from replying to that which I am
about to repost once more:

> Cast of Characters II for 200:
> This man is the twin brother of a scholar who was killed for learning
> too much.

That taken care of, I bring you the 600s!

Cast of Characters II for 600:
In our hero's second journey into the depths of the Stygian Abyss, the
Avatar is given the Standard of Honor by this stalwart knight.

North Star Armory for 600:
This weapon, which hurls exploding fireballs that actually seek out a
target, is perhaps the most lethal of all magical weapons.

Ophidian Ways for 600:
It is at this Order Temple that exemplary soldiers became a sentient
form of automaton.

The Book of Fellowship for 600:
Batlin posits this theory for the Hero's slaying of the sorceress Minax,
although acts like he is not actually suggesting it to be the case.

Rule of Threes for 600:
The three-part mantra of the Gargish Virtues.

Potent Potables for 600:
The strongest liquor Orlok of Tenebrae has to offer.

Can you see the finish line from here? Just two more sets to go!

-Lumina Dragon

> North Star Armory for 600:
> This weapon, which hurls exploding fireballs that actually seek out
> a target, is perhaps the most lethal of all magical weapons.

What is the firedoom staff?

-Ophidian

Lumina Dragon wrote on Mon, 02 May 2005 18:09:48 -0500:
> Ophidian Ways for 600:
> It is at this Order Temple that exemplary soldiers became a sentient
> form of automaton.

What is the Temple of Logic?

PS: Phid cheats! He answered before Lumina posted the question! :p

--
Josef Drexler, Aquamarine Dragon (UDIC) | http://jdrexler.com/home/
Please help Conserve Gravity | Email address is *valid*.
Stop flipping pancakes. | Don't remove the "nospam" part.