Asus A7N8X-X onboard good enough???

burn0u7

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2004
I'm a computer noob, but i decided to build a new comp.

My question is if the A7N8X-X's on board sound is good enough for the average user, or should I spring for something like Creative Audigy or Hercules Fortissimo 3?

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Is it the soundstorm chip? If so, then yes, it's very very good. If not, then it'll probably be fine. Test it out as is, if you don't like it you can always add on later.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Soundstorm (MCP-T) is actually better than any descrete card if you are a gamer, because it uses less CPU time than any other card on the market giving your FPS a nice boost!

Hardcore Gamer + SoundStorm/MCP-T = use integrated
Hardcore Gamer + other APU = buy a sound card
Not a Fanatic Gamer/Audiophille = wait and see

More Gamer than Audiophille = Get a SoundBlaster 5.1 or Audigy
More Audiophille than gamer = shop elsewhere

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
No, that's not even an nvidia chipset. That's the A7<b>V</b>8X. The soundstorm one is the A7<b>N</b>8X

The onboard audio should be decent on this one though, and with it being an mATX board with only 3 PCI slots, you may want to go with the onboard audio anyways so you can free that extra slot up.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.